electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Antimon Antimon's Half Year Report
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Back Again - Another G2 Issue - USB?
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Stan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Back Again - Another G2 Issue - USB? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, upon my last journey with the G2, I ended up having it completely replaced with a fresh, new G2 directly from Clavia, Loaded with V1.4 - My last one only had 1.3 - sweet so far! Very Happy

Absolutely had no problem with this one out of the box, and have spent sleepless nights ( Laughing ) goofing around with the thing. Recently, I was in a live situation, where I found an issue that I'd like to confirm.

I run two machines, at home editing is done on a desktop pc running windows XP PRO, the other a laptop running the same OS.

*OVERVIEW*

The laptop, when connected to the G2, when sent to the output, has what I would say is basically "electrical buzzing" sounds out of the speakers, which are quite annoying. It does creak and buzzing sounds which happen ONLY when connected to the laptop - and are most noticeable when running applications on the Laptop, IE: loading programs will cause noises, swapping windows, or clicking stuff, basically anything that seems to create some sort of "pulse" when using the computer.

This noise does NOT occur when connected to the Laptop and listening through headphones! It only occurs when output to Speakers/PA/desktop computer input. I have tried different output cables and outputs.

BUT oddly, without the power adaptor connected to the Laptop, there are none of these sounds when connected to the G2.

Doing some sluething on these forums ( Wink ), can this be another ground type issue with the USB, or even my Laptop?

I have tried various USB cables as well, including a few higher quality belkin ones that I've got with no luck.

If there is no simple fix to this I may have to look into another afforadable laptop just for this, so any comments and thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you! Smile
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like time to get rid of the laptop's power supply ground connection (on the mains side).
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, try one of those $.50 converters that you usually use to plug a 3 prong plug into a really old 2 prong socket. That'll keep the "ground" from connecting without having to modify your power supply.
Stan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for delayed response, the 65cent converter works like a charm! Thanks for the input, but now I'm just hoping I don't zap it without the ground tab in use. Laughing
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those grounds are supposed to be in place for human protection, so any conductive surface that a human could touch, has a seperate path to ground/earth.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 124
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I removed the ground pins on every piece of equipment in my studio and road kit. Never have a bit of hum. I was taught this by a professional sound man in San Fransisco. Haven't gotten shocked from music equipment yet. (Don't ask me about ham radio gear). I carry a DI box for long runs on the road as well. Good ones have ground lifters too. Most venues already have them, but it never hurts to carry one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I removed the ground pins on every piece of equipment in my studio and road kit. Never have a bit of hum.

Shocked Shocked

Or you could make sure all the power for your gear comes from the one group of points... I never have a bit of hum either Confused
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I do that too, a battery backup system. But in itself, that won't prevent all hum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I removed the ground pins on every piece of equipment in my studio and road kit. Never have a bit of hum. I was taught this by a professional sound man in San Fransisco. Haven't gotten shocked from music equipment yet. (Don't ask me about ham radio gear). I carry a DI box for long runs on the road as well. Good ones have ground lifters too. Most venues already have them, but it never hurts to carry one.

Hi Mosc,

This is very dangerous, the shock may still be to come and what will we all do without you!

An extract from SoundOnSound about this :

"This does break the loop, obviously, so any related hum will disappear. But it also means that the equipment is no longer earthed, and thus any fault that occurs in the equipment is now life-threatening! Sometimes you don't even need a fault to cause dangerous problems, though. Most equipment has filtering on the mains input to stop mains-borne noise getting in (or out). If you disconnect the mains earth in the plug, the nature of that filtering is such that the (previously earthed) chassis — and everything connected to it — 'floats' up to half mains voltage (making it about 115V in the UK). This means everything that should be safely earthed — all the exposed metalwork, including guitar strings — now carries a life-threatening voltage."

Cheers

Andy
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I do this myself, and only for my audio gear. We only have 110 VAC here in the US. I've been hit that that many times - not from faulty audio gear, but from building and debugging relay control systems.

Most audio gear power supplies are coupled to the AC mains via transformers. Much, in not most, audio gear I have comes from the factory with only 2 mains connections - G2, power amps, etc. Other stuff often just take the Earth ground and connects it to the chasis. I don't agree with that SOS analysis on the nature of filtering, BTW.

At any rate, everyone must do what they are comfortable with. Obviously, my practices are related for information sharing only. I officially recommend that everyone follow the safety practices defined in their counties and communities, just as they follow the drug laws.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A pretty common problem in Norway, in cities like Oslo and Trondheim, is that the ground connector..
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

..doesn´t really carry "ground".. it can just as likely be like 380 V AC slightly out of phase with your 220 AC. Treating this as a true "ground" can be fatal both for you and your gear.

Trivia:
I have even experienced the ground wire in a building to carry a really high voltage with a cable TV signal on top. Shocked Oh my... I didn´t experience this event myself, but a friend ( the guy living in the cable TV infested high voltage enviroment ) called me after his coffee machine exploded .. and my friend was quite certain he had heard a few seconds worth of music from the coffee machine before it went off like a M18A1 Claymore Anti-Personnel Mine. Later we made some measurements. Shocked I wouldnt call a "ground" at some 800 volts at approx 75 hz carrying cable TV and FM radio to be "ground". Really..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm. Interesting story. Too bad he didn't get a recording of the coffee pot playing music. If we all had grounds like that, who would need synthesizers? Very Happy
jksuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ROFL

I'm reading this just before getting up to grind my own "grounds". Silly little universe. I'm hoping for music with out the grande finale.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: