electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Various Artists ~ 2014 Autumnal Equinox ~ live streaming radio ~
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Help
RSS feeds now available from electro-music.com
Page 1 of 3 [60 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: RSS feeds now available from electro-music.com Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a free service to other web sites and individuals with above average technical skills, RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds of electro-music.com's online forum are now available. We provide several URLs to get these feeds:

rss.php - provides up to 50 of the most recent topics from all of our publicly readable forums. The format of this feed is XML in the RSS standard. Your web site will need to format these feeds in an appropriate style. There are a couple of http arguments you can use to control the feeds:

c=20 would limit the feed to only 20 topics. The max is 50.
t=1 returns posts. The default is t=0 which returns topics, probably the most useful.

For example to return the last 10 posts, use http://electro-music.com/forum/rss.php?c=10&t=1

rss.php returns the text of the topics. In case you don't want the entire text, we provide another program, rss2.php, for just the headers. Yet another program rss3.php provides a feed of just the News the electro-music.com forums. The t and c options work with these URLs as well.

If you have any questions, or to request variations on these feeds, please post them as replies to this topic.

----- EDIT September 4, 2004 ----

I just modified rss.php and rss2.php to take multiple forum number for the f= argument. For example, to get the feed of just the "Misc News" (35) and the "Wish List" from the Nord Modular forum (77) use this url: http://electro-music.com/forum/rss.php?f=77,35

Also, added rss4.php to give a feed of all of the Nord Modular topics...

----- EDIT September 6, 2007 ----

The t option has been deactivated. It's now set permanently to t=1

----- EDIT September 10, 2007 ----
This program has been upgraded this topic is obsolete. See http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-20444.html

Last edited by mosc on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:34 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HOWARD! It is working! See http://elektro80.trash.no/forums.html

Down right...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK.. now we have to ask Jeff Harington to test this one too?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
ask Jeff Harington to test this one too?

I just PM'd him.

If it wasn't for you, I'd have never known about RSS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked I always cause more work.. I am a mess.
Very Happy One the other hand....

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jeff harrington

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys... cool idea. It didn't validate because of the character encoding used?

http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Felectro-music.com%2Fforum%2Frss.php%3Fc%3D10%26t%3D1+

Smile

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It worked fine for me. You did not copy the html, did you?
You can see the rss3.php running at my site.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jeff harrington

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm running it through a very very anal validator that's all...

http://feedvalidator.org

Always validate! Wink

For safety sake!

Wink

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The "Swedish Anal Validator"?
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jeff harrington wrote:
It didn't validate because of the character encoding used? Smile

Apparently, that's because of this:

Quote:
UnicodeError: decoding error, invalid data
Explanation

Your feed contains an invalid character.
Solution

A common cause of this error is having a high-bit character (such as a curly quote or curly apostrophe) in your RSS feed. This can happen if you copy-and-paste a quote from another page that contains curly quotes. For maximum compatibility with readers, you should remove the invalid character or use a numeric entity equivalent.

You can also try changing your character encoding to a more liberal encoding. For example, if you have this at the top of your feed:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Try changing it to this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

This can be a difficult error to diagnose, because the validator can not give you the exact location of the error. (This is due to a limitation of our parsing library; sorry, we tried very hard to work around it!) For example, if the validator says the error occurred at the end of a description element, the actual invalid character could be anywhere within the description.
Not clear? Disagree?

Let us know on the feeds-archive-talk discussion list!

I have it set to iso-8859-1. I changed it to utf-8 and got a similar but different error. This seems to be much ado about nothing.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

guys, I am sorry to say that the content of this topic sounds Norwegian to me, even translating it with my Sondheimizer does not help Exclamation

RSS is a Web content syndication format.
Its name is an acronym for Really Simple Syndication (it is discomforting to not understand something "really simple": it makes me sick Sad )

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go to http://elektro80.trash.no/forums.html and look at the lower right of the page. The RSS feed give him this information, in XML format. It's just a mechanism to provide the feed of what's the latest topics in the forum. Don't worry about it.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

now I see Very Happy thanks Howard Exclamation
that's way cool
Stein does the same with www.osxaudio.com, mstation.org etc.

and btw RSS stands for Rich Site Summary
(I already feel better Very Happy )

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
and btw RSS stands for Rich Site Summary
(I already feel better Very Happy )

So it does. Embarassed

Don't know why. It's not rich. Shocked
Threetwosevensixseven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome!

I just discovered the delights of RSS for the first time today. I'm a big fan of newsgroups, mailing lists and forums, but have often wished I could get forum content pushed to me like emails so I could have the best of both worlds.

Using my regular email client Mozilla Thunderbird, with the ForumZilla extension, it is dead easy to set up an RSS feed to pull forum topics into folders, such that each topic appears much like an html email message.

It's worth mentioning that Howard's magic can feed a single subforum too. example:

http://electro-music.com/forum/rss.php?f=63

will get the Nord Modular Discussion subforum only. So you could set up multiple single-forum feeds into different folders, if you wished.

Now I'm happy Smile

Cheers, 3
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, great information. I haven't switched to Thunderbird. I still use the Mozilla all-in-one package. Would you say it is robust enough? Is it ready for prime time? Do you think I should jump in and make the switch? What's the scoop?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy tamolli! You can run the Forumzilla in regular Mozilla mail. You don't need Thunderbird. Fab.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Forget those naked women... RSS is hot! Shocked Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Threetwosevensixseven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I haven't switched to Thunderbird. I still use the Mozilla all-in-one package. Would you say it is robust enough? Is it ready for prime time? Do you think I should jump in and make the switch? What's the scoop?

Not really the right person to ask, as I've only been using Firefox/Firebird for about 6 months and Thunderbird for about a month. I figured they had to be better than Scrimfoot products, and they are. But I'm not sure about robust. Firefox has managed to lose my un-backed-up bookmarks twice, and I've managed to break my Thunderbird folder structure in an interesting way. But I'm sticking with 'em.

You beat me to it, Mozilla Mail has a version of Forumzilla. There's one for Outlook called NewsGator too, it seems.

I just took a look at a sample mysql>rss php generator. Frighteningly simple yet effective stuff Smile

Cheers, 3
Threetwosevensixseven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rss.jpg
 Description:
Thurderbird/Forumzilla
 Filesize:  126.66 KB
 Viewed:  36990 Time(s)

rss.jpg

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

See the edit I made to the first post of this forum. I enhanced both rss.php and rss2.php so that the "f" argument can take a list of forum numbers. So, to get all of the NM forums, for example, use:

http://electro-music.com/forum/rss.php?f=43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,60,61,62,63,64,65,77
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I just added rss4.php to give just the Nord Modular topics - for convenience...
Threetwosevensixseven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Hail the Master
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wowzers! Cool! Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
aquanaut

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's interesting. Is it possible to have the feed with an older mozilla app (1.21 the new software is for os x.
Page 1 of 3 [60 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Help
Jump to: