electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Ambitious MIDI Retrofit project
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
The Real MC

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Ambitious MIDI Retrofit project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last month I picked up a barely working OB-SX and proceeded to resurrect it. The OB-SX is a preset only polysynth with no available MIDI retrofit kits. I heard some awesome sounds out of those voicecards and decided they were too good to be relegated to a preset synth.

So I am planning an ambitious retrofit project to replace the OB-SX processor board with a PIC based system implementing patch storage and modern MIDI features like remote editing. Also plan on retrofitting the voicecards with voice modulation and polyAT/key velocity. I want to package it in a rack.

The last time I designed a microcontroller system was in 1988, designed a MIDI keyboard controller around an 8088 for my college EE senior project. I do have some catching up to do on current technology. I am comfortable in assembly language.

This will also be my first project involving PC board design. I'm an EE and have a few books on the topic so I am pretty psyched over this. I'll need to fab the processor board and the voicecard motherboard. In order to implement voice modulation and polyAT/velocity and then shoehorn it into a rack package the voicecard motherboard will have to be a new design.

Finding this forum is a gold mine to say the least - good to see that I am in good company!

This is not going to happen overnight as I am busy with a lot of other things.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rather than a PIC, you could also use an Atmel based system, such as the Arduino boards. I think they're a bit more powerful than the PIC (they are very efficient for each clock cycle), and there is a large & growing community around them. So you'd have spare cycles to do any filtering on midi to avoid zippers, or new key maps if your into just intonation.

I mention the arduino, because it's cheap ($35), and there's lots of code around for it, including MIDI. And readily available free tools.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Jump to: