electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Jez Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Recommend a Sequencer for a Beginner
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jastro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Recommend a Sequencer for a Beginner Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's the best sequencer to start with? I'm looking for something easy enough to learn on, and sophisticated enough to grow/improve with. Also, I'm using WinXP right now but hope to end up on OS X in the future, so something with support for both would be good.

The options I'm aware of are Ableton Live and Cubase. Which would you recommend? Or a different one altogether?
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend a Sequencer for a Beginner Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jastro wrote:
Ableton Live and Cubase

those have completely different approach to sequencing: linear vs. pattern oriented (the analogy is like a tape recorder vs. a drum machine). I am quite sure I am not making myself clear but anyway those are not comparable items.

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa

Last edited by seraph on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cubase SE is a pretty solid one. It is easy to use and it kinda works pretty well. However, if you are on a PC you might as well try to get Cubase 5.2 VSt 32. They are cheap now and in fact a lot better than Cubase SX 1. On the mac you have Digital Prformer ( very good ), Logic ( very good ) and Cubase ( almost there ) . The full Cubase SX on the mac is slowish and hungry compared to Logic and DP. Works pretty OK though.. but ..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jastro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph - Which one is linear and which is pattern based? Can you expand more on the difference, or your opinion of which is more appropriate for electronic music?

elektro80 - Yeah, it seemed like Logic and Digital Performer were the really excellent ones, but since neither have WinXP versions I was hoping to find something would cary over between platforms. I take it you'd recommend Cubase over Ableton?

Thanks all!
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Live is more "pattern based" and Cubase more "linear". However, in Live, you can ignore the 1/2 of the program that deals with patterns, and it is a linear editor.

"pattern" being associated with loops, etc. Build a pattern, then stitch patterns together to form a complete song.

"linear" being more like an orchestral score: music that describes the song from beginning to end. If you use patterns in a program like this, you usually need to copy & paste to get a full song (or the program more or less automates this for you, I haven't used cubase).

Both programs have "trial" period versions, try before you buy!!!
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jastro wrote:
seraph - ... your opinion of which is more appropriate for electronic music?

it depends how you intend to work and what you mean by "electronic music". a linear approach is more suited for traditional composition meaning having a score, notes and using midi instruments. a pattern based approach is more suited for live applications, beat driven music. anyway, follow jksuperstar's suggestion:
Quote:
Both programs have "trial" period versions, try before you buy!!!

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are a beginner, don't want to spend any money, want something good, want something that works on XP and OSX, then get Tracktion.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-4290.html]

This is a good solid program with a neat user interface.

If you try those other demo programs and you get hooked, then you are in trouble because you'll have to spend money. Demo programs have limitiations, either in time before they stop working, or some features don't work, like you can't write files. Crying or Very sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not sure that offer is still valid.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I am not sure that offer is still valid.

Yep, sorry... It expired Dec 31, 2004. Crying or Very sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chuck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For what it's worth. I teach a class to 7th graders using MOTU's FreeStyle. I've used this with all levels of students and taught over 1000 kids so far. The program has a very clear GUI and the kids pick up on it naturally. I've never found a kid who couldn't deal with the software and I've seen some fairly challenged student.

On the downside, while it's cross platform, it is not available for OSX. I don't know if MOTU has any plans for that, but I'd rather guess not. Still, its a great learning tool and you could make to switch to any other sequencer very easily.

Charles E. Ives
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For WinXP I think Cakewalk's Sonar is outstanding. It comes in two versions. The Producer Edition has more bells and whistles. The regular version is much cheaper and more than adequate, and it can be upgraded to the PE. Cakewalk's customer service is one of the best I have found. If there is an issue with a new version, it will be solved in a matter of days. When you call them, you actually talk to a person. They have a very active online forum where Cakewalk employees will respond.

Cubase is very good too, but I am unfamiliar with its customer service. Plus it just got sold to Yamaha. .

www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I play video games.

From time to time I´ll play a few demos and will curse the designers; "the controll scheme should not be a part of the dificulty level!".

I recomend Live.

jeffrey-o

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

live is just so different in terms of composition and jamming flexibility. granted cubase compressors and eqs sound much better out of the box, but now that i am used to live, the million settings and configurations and pull down menus needed just to get a sound out of cubase just seem so counter-productive, with live it is just click click ROCK. to me it seems like cubase is built for an engineers brain and live is built for a musicians brain. live totally, for composition, performance and remixing. master on cubase or another. you can get things by accident in live that would take a great deal more effort in the old linear sequencers.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome jeffery-o, great to have you here.
blackbird

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just bought this .. based on your post and reading about it on the net.

I've used some archaic versions of cakewalk in the past (by past I mean 10 years ago) and found that to be difficult.

So I am hoping this interface will be better for me.

mosc wrote:
You are a beginner, don't want to spend any money, want something good, want something that works on XP and OSX, then get Tracktion.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-4290.html]

This is a good solid program with a neat user interface.

If you try those other demo programs and you get hooked, then you are in trouble because you'll have to spend money. Demo programs have limitiations, either in time before they stop working, or some features don't work, like you can't write files. Crying or Very sad
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please let us know your impressions after you have used it for a while.
bbinkovitz

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the first one i tried was renoise ( www.renoise.com ) which in its free demo version lets you do everything except export to .wav and .mp3. it's very easy to import samples and use them as instruments, and since i am not a "read the manual" kind of person, i appreciated that i could learn a lot from it by just noodling around. of course after i got to my noodling limits i started checking out the tutorials and FAQ on their site, which has been very helpful. i'm not super experienced with sequencers (having used only renoise and ableton live so far) but i have had a lot of fun with renoise as a beginner.

renoise is very different from the other sequencers mentioned so far, and can be a bit confusing, but what i did was take the sample songs that came with it, with their instruments already imported and whatnot, and just deleted the patterns and constructed a few of my own. since i didn't know anything about speeding up or slowing down notes or anything, it sounded kind of mechanical, so i went with it and wrote some music-box inspired stuff. when i got bored of that, i went to the instrument editor and started warping the sounds in various haphazard ways.

so basically i approached it as if i were a five-year-old disassembling an alarm clock. when used this way, it's great.
Rinxai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a different one altogether:

Zynewave Podium

only $90 for a kickass DAW

http://www.zynewave.com

since each and any sequencer/daw requires an investment in time in order to flatten the learning curve, i suggest its better to begin with something that will continue to serve you down the road.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this thread dates back to 2005 Shocked But Brambos's Tunafish is great for a laugh. Really, really basic, but actually quite fun, and great for beginners. XP only mind.

http://www.brambos.com/

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Rinxai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, only after making that enthusiastic chirp did i notice how old this thread was. Shocked Smile
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rinxai wrote:
Yeah, only after making that enthusiastic chirp did i notice how old this thread was. Shocked Smile

A thread is only as old as it's last post. From that perspective the thread was still fresh when you chimed in.

BTW, a belated welcome

blackbird

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK so I have used Traktion 2 a bit ... actually I am still learning how to use it. One beef I have with it --- NO instructions about how to use the plug-ins.

One big problem I am having right now is latency. It only allows me 3 options and the first starts at about 46m ..... not really so great.

The instruction manual leads me to believe I should be able to set it at about 20m if I want, but the software doesn't allow that. Could it be something with my soundcard? Do I need a better one to allow more latency options? Anyone know?

Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Sequencers
Jump to: