electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time

poster

Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DYI beginner's questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: DYI beginner's questions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi to all,

i'm starting my DYI adventure and would need some help from you, experienced users. i have some basic knowledge and keep learning new things.

background: electronic music producer / engineer, experienced modular user, Buchla 200/200e system owner.

my goal is to make a Buchla compatible builds, modify and adapt some interesting Eurorack/Serge designs and finally create my own builds.

i have scroll hundreds of sites, schematics and PCBs layouts - it's insane but i need to start with something? so how to choose? at this point i need your advice.

what's better:

- to start with basic electronic circuits designs (oscillators, amps, filter circuits etc.

- to start with concrete design (eg. ARP 4075 filter) from the beginning

in the first case i could design a PCB based on a schematics. a second case would base on ready, existing PCBs designs (kits) assembled by myself.

what do you think?

Buchla specific questions:

http://buchlatech.blogspot.com/2008/10/good-thing-about-standards-so-many-to.html

- Buchla modules (200/200e) needs +/-15V from the bus board (most kits are EURO +/-12V), control voltages 0-10V to work... etc. - is it complicated to modify existing "euro" circuit to work safe in Buchla world?

- Buchla tracks 1.2V/oct - is it complicated to modify existing "euro" circuit to track 1.2V/oct instead of 1V/oct?

thanks in advance for your support

jurek
yoho

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adaption to 15v of Euroracks is usually possible, specially circuits that are simple. Vco's are complicated in that area, but other forum members can tell a lot more.

From beginners point of view I would advise to start with building some simple, like a passive multiple port thing or attunator. To gain confidence with handling a soldering iron. And after that: build something simple you really can use, like a simple sequencer (baby 8/10 or mad monkey) or a non voltage controllable filter. And after that start building a LFO or something like that.

But ofcourse there many opinions...
jurekprzezdziecki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yoho wrote:
Adaption to 15v of Euroracks is usually possible, specially circuits that are simple. Vco's are complicated in that area, but other forum members can tell a lot more.

From beginners point of view I would advise to start with building some simple, like a passive multiple port thing or attunator. To gain confidence with handling a soldering iron. And after that: build something simple you really can use, like a simple sequencer (baby 8/10 or mad monkey) or a non voltage controllable filter. And after that start building a LFO or something like that.

But ofcourse there many opinions...

hello yoho and thank you for the tips. you are right with these suggestions, i'm looking for some simple designs for a start. in between i have ordered a parts for a buchla DIY kit - 206 mixer.

http://electricmusicstore.com/products/dual-mixer-model-206

i think this could be a nice experience.

i will study those circuits you recommend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: