electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Property is Theft
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
play

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Property is Theft Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this is relevant to the current discussions about copyright laws which are but symptoms of a crumbling paradigm:
http://dhm.best.vwh.net/archives/proudhon-property-is-theft.html

I'll try and find an opposing argument.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Proudhon is extremely entertaining, but I personally think that his writings are also extremely dated. That said I also find marx to be way out there with the dinosaurs. However, this one is a jolly good read and it is pretty interesting if you like the stuff by Marx and others: RICARD'S METHOD RE-EXAMINED: MARX VS. RICARDO ON Method by professor Takahisa Oishi.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with you elektro. he just happened to come up in the other discussion.

I skimmed this Takahisha thing and it just sounded like quibling. But I'm not exactly an economist.

There is a distinct lack of contemporary literature discussing the commodification of every aspect of our lives. Where'd all the smart people go? Did they get bought by the advertising companies or something?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A big part of my history and economic history books are still in storage. I cannot make a list now. However, there is a lot of soft and silly feelgood stuff that discusses this right now. Naomi Klein did that No Logo book.. and I guess that one is symptomatic. A lot of the current academic trends on the subject aren´t really picking up the neoradical 60s trend of going for the "commodification of every aspect of our lives" stuff. instead they are going for a rewrite of the modern history .

Modern political history is being rewritten partly based on the analysis of fascism. The immediate postwar understanding of fascism obscured a lot of the huge issues that actually caused world war one, the spanish civil war etc etc. The cold war did not improve matters much but a lot of interesting literature was published.

A current and readable book on fascism is "The Anatomy of Fascism" by Robert O. Paxton. It is not written by an economist so you will find it interesting. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always get back to the books by Toynbee. I have a connection to this guy.. a remote but interesting one.. That one will remain secret for now.

You might find his "A Study of History" a great read. 12 volumes..
http://www.malaspina.com/site/person_1138.asp

Quote:
A generalist of vast erudition, Toynbee took a panoramic view of history at a time of increasing specialization. He saw the rise and decline of civilizations in spiritual terms when those he described as "would-be scientific historians" saw history in terms of biology, geography, and economics. Toynbee was criticized for his emphasis on religion and for sweeping theories often employing myth and metaphor as models and supporting evidence. A prolific writer, driven by "anxiety" and "conscience", his 12-volume A Study of History (1934-61) stands as his grand achievement.

There is also a mysterious Toynbee/Kubrick thing going on... check out the intersections all over Philadelphia and NYC

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

More at: http://www.toynbee.net/

Some great Toynbee quotes:

Quote:
Civilization is a movement and not a condition, a voyage and not a harbor.

Quote:
We human beings do have some genuine freedom of choice and therefore some effective control over our own destinies. I am not a determinist. But I also believe that the decisive choice is seldom the latest choice in the series. More often than not, it will turn out to be some choice made relatively far back in the past.

Quote:
History not used is nothing, for all intellectual life is action, like practical life, and if you don't use the stuff--well, it might as well be dead.

Quote:
America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room. Every time it wags its tail, it knocks over a chair.

Toynbee is bigger than Elvis!

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds like a case of "the Truth" which was an illustration of a guy with a mullet and a barcode on his forehead which was distributed in many forms: buttons, signs, t-shirts. A contrived mystery.

The city-beat article is great: http://www.citybeat.com/2001-08-02/news.shtml

Some excerpts:

"I've seen them," Maddock said. "They say different weird things. I have no idea what they are."

Do the signs pose any public hazard or threat?

"No," Turner said. "People write all kinds of things out there -- graffiti and that kind of thing. A lot of it's personal meaning, but we don't think it was any kind of threat. We'd look at it if there was an outright threat, but it's just some weird, strange saying."

"I went down there and looked at them," Berens said. "I asked around and no one seemed to know anything about them. I talked to one of our engineers for the downtown area. He originally thought that they were something the Performing Arts Center had done."

Dave Rupe, supervisor of engineering, summed it up for many observers.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he said.

People need mystery in their lives and I guess sometimes it takes someone making a weird sign to remind them how good it feels to be completely mystified.

speaking of which:
http://www.davidblaine.com/

where are we again?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That City beat article is great. I love this one:

Quote:
I first discovered one of these tiles when I moved to Cincinnati in 1998. Working in the Schmidt Building, I crossed Sixth and Walnut every day. At the time, I didn't think much of the tile, dismissing it as nothing more than typical street graffiti. It never occurred to me that the tile could be, as one Scientologist recently put it, "some graffiti from Mars."

Shocked Hey... Uncle Sam is on Mars...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That Blaine thingie... the concept of the progress of solitary confinement.. Shocked Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Oskar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny that; I hadn't discovered this thread until last night, just as I was headed out the door, so my Jean Genet comments in the "sampling" thread were naturally unconnected. I did my stint as a "civilian duty" - what Norwegian conscientuous objectors do instead of military servic. - we still have draft - as among other things a social secretary in a prison. I've also been working for some time as a part-time teacher at a scholl for "prison leavers." Quite a few of cons I worked with twenty years ago, and the ex-cons I work with now rationalize crime by quoting, or MIS-quoting Jean Genet. It does rankle. Anyway, I shall look into that Proudhon stuff, but my intellectual chops are not that sharp anymore. I may be quite some time wading through it. Embarassed
play

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's mostly just entertaining. it's true that a lot of anarchist literature, particularly proudhon is taken out of context or used to justify mayhem. What a joke the "anarchist" movements of today are. Anarcho-capitalists? Leftist-anarchists? What's next? Anarcho-bankers?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: