electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Voice overflow slot interconnection
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

Slot linking for greater polyphony
Yes, a great thing to have
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
I don't care on way or the other
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
No, focus developer attention of something else
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 212

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Voice overflow slot interconnection Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to have a function represented by a module or a mode in the system menu, by which voice overflow (=more voices being used than are provided by a slot) does not cause voice stealing within the slot. Instead, the superfluous notes are sent to another slot via interslot midi.

This would enable the creation of more complex polyphonic patches while still retaining a comprehensive amount of polyphony.

One idea would be, as said, to have a "voice overflow" module. However, I'm not sure if or how modules can influence the voice allocation routines, so maybe it isn't possible this way. Anyway, not only note-ons, but all subsequent note-offs and CCs of any kind would have to be sent to the destination slot too, so this might not be a workable solution.

Another way would be to be able to group slots together in the system menu. They would run the same patch and react to all CCs identically, only the voice allocation routine would span across and adress all of them simultaneously.

Would be nice to have 64 voice physical models. Wink

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it's a good idea. One way might be to declare a slot to be a slave of another slot. Somehow when you select a slave, it just displays the master knob addignments and all that. You can't edit a slave.

Of could have just one patch and 3 slaves you'd have home hellofa massive synth. Great for keyboard players.

PS. I added the poll to your post, Tim. Always the editor dontcha know...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Voice overflow slot interconnection Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shoshin wrote:
I'd like to have a function represented by a module or a mode in the system menu, by which voice overflow (=more voices being used than are provided by a slot) does not cause voice stealing within the slot. Instead, the superfluous notes are sent to another slot via interslot midi.

This would enable the creation of more complex polyphonic patches while still retaining a comprehensive amount of polyphony.
Would be nice to have 64 voice physical models. Wink

Would these other slots have different sounds? As that would be the only case where it would be sensible.

Each voice uses up a bit of resources, say 25%. On an unexpanded system one has 400% available (4 DSPs). Meaning that in this case the system can physically cater for 16 voices for this patch. And the space each voice takes is physically filled with execution code and this space cannot be filled with anything else. Or one would get dynamic recompiling of patches while playing, nice idea but maybe in ten years or so... Wink

So, if a sound is set to 4 voices, but one plays five keys, one should just have set the patch to five voices.
From what I understand from your description another patch wouldn't play until it would receive the fifth voice, so where's the gain.

Note that voices are not dynamic as in some fixed patch preset synths. Each patch has to have physical code for each voice, and the code for another patch is different and cannot be shared with he first patch.
In contrast, a fixed patch synth has only one piece of execution code for all 'multitimbral' voices, where another sound is only a different set of parameters but not different execution code. Such a synth just loops through this one piece of code with only a different chunk of scratchpad memory for each voice. But the G2 works completely different to cater for freely patchable patches.

So, I don't understand the gain of your idea, unless you would want that fifth voice to sound totally different.

But hey, it's Sunday and I'm still recovering from last night's Elektro and Goa attacks (somehow Elektro and Goa fans do not mix). So, maybe I misunderstand something very clever. Smile

And yes, sixtyfour silver flutes sounds nice. Very Happy
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmm..... I was missing something. If you are playing a polyphonic patch in only one slot with no other slots active, then that's the most polyphony you are ever going to get, is that right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it's like this:

The maximum amount of voices per slot is 32 voices. So actually the G2 is able to output 128 voices in total.

I just wondered if there is a way to spill out superfluous note data of one slot into another (instead of voice stealing), in order to have maximum polyphony at disposal when playing one slot.

Of course this only makes sense with simple patches which are able to produce more than a total of 32 voices in the first case. (I have a bunch of cheapo pads and e-pianos that fall into this category.)

Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shoshin wrote:
Well, it's like this:

The maximum amount of voices per slot is 32 voices. So actually the G2 is able to output 128 voices in total.

Ok, that's more clear. Basically you would want to increase the 32 voices per patch limit, is that correct? So that if you e.g. have only two active slots their respective polyphony could go up to 128/2=64 instead of 32, right?
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, that's what I meant.

Sorry for being unclear about it scratch.

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Jump to: