electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Rob Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
The Bolt Guitar
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 258

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: The Bolt Guitar
Subject description: Design suggestions welcome!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings fellow guitarists,

Behold the Bolt guitar!

I would like to share with you a design concept for a guitar that I came up with tonight. It is shown in the image below. That's a quick sketch that I made of it. It is made of plywood so it's construction is very inexpensive, cheaper than a strat, plus it has no pickups. It uses the alternate guitar pickup concept of the recent thread, so no pickups are required. It's fretless and is little more than a piece of plywood with holes drilled in it for the tuning pegs, bridge, controls, and strap pin.

I am posting it here to get your opinion of the guitar and also to collect your design suggestions and observations about guitar construction. Issues like reliability and staying in tune, things like how strong should the plywood be, is it an old idea or new, and other construction thoughts are certainly subjects for conversation. I invite your thoughts, thanks.

Les

BoltGuitar.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.68 KB
 Viewed:  1738 Time(s)

BoltGuitar.jpg

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how many strings should the Flash Gordon's guitar have Question

Wink

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
Oskar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mate, you should get up to Houston Texas and speak to Reverend Billy Gibbons out of ZZ Top, he's always sporting wonderfully outrageous guitars. As for using plywood, I'm not really an expert, but it's not known for its outstanding sonic qualities.
Brilliant design though! Laughing

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
how many strings should the Flash Gordon's guitar have Question

Wink

It's a six-string guitar but spacing limitations of my drawing program made me draw just three strings, lol! And yeah, maybe with the right effects box it could play the Flash Gordon theme song!

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
Mate, you should get up to Houston Texas and speak to Reverend Billy Gibbons out of ZZ Top, he's always sporting wonderfully outrageous guitars. As for using plywood, I'm not really an expert, but it's not known for its outstanding sonic qualities.
Brilliant design though! Laughing

Ah yes, well then the guitar must be constructed of three pieces of hardwood, eh? I can deal with that. Yes, I thought of ZZ Top once I saw it, but have not heard of Reverend Billy Gibbons... We'll be neighbors soon as I am moving to a small town near Houston. Thanks for the compliment!

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One of the design details about the guitar is that it is comfortable to play. The upper left arm edge is positioned above the bridge such that one can rest their arm there as with an ordinary guitar. So unlike other outrageous guitar designs, it fits your hands right.

Also the center size may be adjusted until a decent audio resonator is formed, and it can be made hollow if desired. There are many possibilities with this design.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This image shows how the Bolt guitar is constructed by cutting a single 1x12 board diagonally. There is no waste wood except the sawdust from the cut. These are bolted together in three places, possibly glued and screwed. This makes it very economical, yet also provides high quality guitar resonance effects. The back is routed for running wires and mounting electronic parts and wires for the Generator system.

BoltGuitarConstruction.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.48 KB
 Viewed:  1708 Time(s)

BoltGuitarConstruction.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: