electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Expansion card with sampling
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

Would you buy a G2 expansion card that would make the G2 an Uber-Wave?
Yes, definitely, any price.
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Only in a brand new G3 model
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
For 500 €? Tomorrow. No, today!
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
I don't need sampling in my G2.
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Hardware sampling? You must be kidding.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

sebber

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 32

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Expansion card with sampling Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Blofeld Keys is considered to be a real Wave-attacker, with a price tag a whopping 2000€! cheaper. Since Clavia/Nord has the technique ready and going, but the G2 still having so many capabilities it's not time to replace it with a G3, making an expansion card for the G2 might bring a real boost for the G2. Making it actually the Ubersynth, IMHO.

I just wonder if it's just me who'd be willing to spend money on sampling features.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sebastian
if it was a feasible option they would not have come up with the Nord Wave or they would have presented the expansion card with sampling at the same time of the Wave.
So, my opinion is: "it's not going to happen"

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
sebber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't agree with that, because they were the first one with the Nord Wave and they wouldn't want the G2 to chase their own product.
But now that Waldorf is really getting at them, they could as well be forced to reposition themselves, and this might be an option.

It's dreamdancing anyway, since the G2 was just discontinued and I don't think they'll dig it out right away. These things smell so fast and turn from red to slimy green.

If some of you tech guys know that this was not an option at all with the current platform, let us/me know. Just recently I heard that a simple thing like turning the G2 into a radio receiver gives a lot of trouble, so who knows Laughing

Is there something that really makes the Wave 4x more expensive than the Blofeld Keys?

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh.. off topic.. but.. "simple things as a radio receiver" hmm..

Well, it is pretty much the rule that pro audio devices are built in ways that rather restricts how much they will be able to mess about with RF. And that goes for digital devices as well.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As for the G2, I don´t really see much wrong with it as it is now. One might have wished for certain things, like software editor updates, but that still doesn´ t make the G2 a bad instrument.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
ark

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
Is there something that really makes the Wave 4x more expensive than the Blofeld Keys?

Here in the USA, the price difference is only slightly more than a factor of 2.

I think the Wave is made in Sweden. I wonder if the Blofeld is made in China?
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 214

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Purely hardware-wise, there's no comparison. The Blofeld offers editing via a page system with 4 encoders. AFAIK there are 6 encoders in total plus one normal pot for master volume, and 5 buttons. Compare that with the Wave: 33 pots, 3 encoders, 33 buttons -not counting all the blinkenlights.

Anyway. An expansion-card-type upgrade to add sampling features to the G2 is a technical impossibility. A complete PCB redesign would be necessary.

A G3 with sampling? Dream on, guys. Laughing

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how about a g2 and a sampler triggered by midi?
sebber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't get me wrong, the G2 is fantastic as it is. I called a music store yesterday to ask for an expansion card and the dealer started to look for a similar product that he could sell me to replace the G2.

At that point I knew:
the guy has no clue.
(If you like this poem please donate 10$ to a charity of your choice)

That I mentioned the radio again was just a joke. I should use more Very Happy

Wave vs. Blofeld: I mixed up the prices, you are right. It's 800 to 2000. Making a really nice interface adds 500€ - see Evolver. If you happen to own a G2 keyboard version, btw, you own the ultimate flexible interface already and don't need anything else. Very Happy

But this is not the place to discuss Wave vs. Blofeld. I just wanted to make an argument that they (Nord) could re-live the G2 by adding a sampling card. Most of the people I know use sampling as the basic sound source (which is just an observation and not an argument). Thanks, tim, for lightning me up that this is not easy to do at all.

Hm, looking up what a PCB is: do you say they would need to design a new card (which I assumed) or do you think they have to redesign the whole interior of the G2?

Dasz: sure! I'm just having fun thinking about if there could have been an easy way to save one of the best synths ever. And of course it's neat to have it all in one box. And I would have bought such a card tomorrow, no, today.

sebber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would have been so nice for the G2, too:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-31816.html

Guess I've got to live with it that it's a darn nice monster as it is Laughing

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: