electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  mosc Live music with Twyndyllyngs - Bill Fox and Howard Moscovitz
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Sonically Birthing Krell-Human Mutants or Which System...
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Black Lotus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Sonically Birthing Krell-Human Mutants or Which System...
Subject description: Seeking Help in building new Modular
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mutant Euro system or Serge or How to Raise Mutant Krell-Human Offspring

Hey folks, I’ve been lurking for some time, and really like and learn from what this group puts out So I am de-cloaking to ask for your collective advice on setting up a system.
I’ve been in synthesis for over 30 years with a wide range of sound making gear, often factory keyboard stuff; subtractive, additive, virtual, FM, modeling, analog, etc. etc., though never modular. Had a tune on the radio (remember radio?) on Waveform Records, Musical Starstreams in ’94 with only a trusty JD-800, Yamaha DX-100 and a Kurzweil K2000. Got really lucky to end up on a program with some of my heroes, Dubtribe and John Serrie. My big referent these days is Vladislav Delay, a rocking Finish DJ.

Like a lot of you, I’m partial to multi-layered, evolving soundscapes. (Is that a cliché’? Yep, reckon it is by now). So now’s the time, as Charlie Parker would say, to evolve into modular synthesis.

I can afford a Creature + boat+psu+ some other M-class module (Gator or…), or a lotta Euro. Until the price went up I was thinking strongly about the Serge Animal, but that now seems out of my range. I’m also pleasantly astounded by the variety of modules in the Euro format. In Euro I‘m thinking of Livewire, Plan B, Harvestman, Tiptop, and Doepfer components together—aiming for the most processing intensive , sub-$4K set up I can afford.

Looking at:
Doepfer Multitype Morphing Filter
Doepfer A116 Waveform Processor
Doepfer 143-2 Quad ADSR
Doepfer A 199 Spring Reverb
Doepfer A 130 VCA
Livewire: AFG+Dalek Modulator+Vulcan Modulator+Freqensteiner+Dual Bissell Generator
Plan B Heisenberg Generator
Tiptop Smart VC Oscillator
Flight of Harmony AC/DC JoyStick
Analog Systems RS220 x-Y Controller ( LOVE those joysticks! Like “flying” in sound!)

I’ll readily admit my ignorance about modular planning and hope that somebody will point out any inconsistencies, redundancies, or wasteful, flat-out non-sense I might be laying down with these ideas.

Having gone through so much stock gear, I began to design and create my own. With the great and visionary help of Dann Green of 4mspedals, we came up with the VisionWell (oscillators and lfo’s galore--almost 90-some knobs and switches!!) and my mods ideas to his Bend Matrix, a circuit-bending, lfo infected, randomized switching module. These things truly produce some incredible, hallucinatory effects. Love that glitchey “synthesizer-on-mescaline-and-dreaming-while-giving-birth sound! I can’t say enough good things about Dann and his work. You can see them here.

http://4mspedals.com/showpic.php?id=1003

http://4mspedals.com/showpic.php?id=1346

Now I want to mate these, as it were, with a modular rig. I would really truly appreciate the insights of this group in helping me create this next step. Soon as I sell this Sherman FilterBank 2 rack, to bring in the final bit of dosh, I’ll be able to pull the trigger one way or the other. Talk with you guys and then drop a dime on Rex.

Thank you all, in advance.

John Hunter
Black Lotus Sound
Black Lotus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: RE: Sonically Birthing Krell-Human Mutants or Which System.. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh..that's Vladislav Delay...a Finnish DJ ..not a "finished" one. Wink

John
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Sonically Birthing Krell-Human Mutants or Which System.. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Black Lotus wrote:
Uh..that's Vladislav Delay...a Finnish DJ ..not a "finished" one. Wink

John

Hi John
welcome to electro-music.com

Very Happy

you can edit your posts clicking on the upper right corner of it on the appropriately named "Edit" button Exclamation Wink

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
Black Lotus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks much, didn't know that.

Leaning towards Serge Creature and.....this morning, at least. Smile

John
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: