electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Jez Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Help with my 4018s!!
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Usedtobe

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Help with my 4018s!!
Subject description: can't figure it out for the life of me!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so i bought these 4018s hoping they would be as easy to hook up as mosc said in this post

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=4018&t=23896

and they're toootally not, noob i think they call it Wink

any tips on these guys? the clip is what i got out of it today, which sounds really rad but not at all what i'm going for. i've read all the posts on this forum containing "4018" and i still pretty much got nothin. keep thinking "ohhh i get it!" then going to the breadboard and getting immediately stumped again.

thanks guys!

4018 fail.mp3
 Description:
nasty!

Download
 Filename:  4018 fail.mp3
 Filesize:  1.05 MB
 Downloaded:  224 Time(s)

sizone

Audio files: 48

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is it you're going for anyway? You're not going to be getting 24bit 96khz effects from simple cmos designs.
If you want something that goes "beep beep beep" in a little melodic pattern that can be done. Start with the basics, breadboard a couple of Schmitt trigger audio oscillators (sounds like you already have), a couple of clock frequency oscillators and a couple of very slow oscillators to send to the control inputs. Throw together a 4017/4051 melody generator (schematic's up on this thread somewhere) it's fool-proof and study that to figure out what's going on.
Basic principle of "lunetta" sequencing is this:
You start with a clock frequency. This gets divided in one of two ways.
1:In serial: One division is made at a time in sequence using a programmable counter/divider, ie. with a clock frequency of 4000hz
1/10............1/5.............1/2
400hz 800hz 2000hz
Your control pulses are used to set the division.
2: In parallel: A bunch of different divisions are made of the clock frequency simultaneously, you then use a multiplexer to select which one gets routed to the audio output at any given time. The control signals in this case switch which one of the inputs goes to the output.
Usedtobe

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

appreciate the info but i'm definitely not that much of a newby, i just don't understand this particular chip. Mosc's explanation wasn't enough for me to understand so i was wondering if anyone knew an easy way to hook this bad boy up.

thanks!
DGTom

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That clip sounds great! Laughing thats the thing about lunettas... sometimes you just need to accept what comes out.

From that other thread;

mosc wrote:
There is no need to do anything but wire up the 4018 to the banana jacks.

What are you feeding into the 4018?
from the clip, sounds like 1, maybe 2, slow clocks & some faster ones?

If you play the the G2 patches mosc posted & slow the main Osc. right down you get something similar to your clip.

Based on;

mosc wrote:

1 input
4 control inputs
1 output.

& looking at the G2 patches I'm assuming a couple of things.

Reset tied to ground

Preset enable tied to +V

Not Q5 connected to Data input to set-up a basic loop.

Main Osc. goes to clock input, control signals go to Jam inputs, output from Not Q1.

I have some 4018s here... If I can find (make) some space on the breadboard I'll give it a shot & see if it works.

Last edited by DGTom on Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
knittingram

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounds rad to me.. way better than beep beep boop Laughing
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you've pretty much got it.
I'd be pleased to have those sounds moving in and out of my Lunetta patches.

As you come up with new ways to use this chip I hope you'll post them.

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry you are having trouble with these chips. I must confess I've never used these myself as my Lunetta building days we before CMOS logic was around. We used TTL or even RTL. But the principle of operation is the same.

There is an input, an output, and 4 control inputs. The control inputs are a binary number that tells the chip which number to divide by. So, in Lunetta terms, the modulo N divider is really a melody generator.

In this particular chip, 4018, I would try this first. Put a relatively high frequency square wave, like 10 KHz or something, into the clk input. Tie the Preset Enable pin high, pin 10. Listen to the highest of the Q output pins.

If I'm not mistaken, as you change the number on the Jam pins, the pitch of the output will change. If you leave the jam pins unconnected, I'm not sure what will happen. Hopefully, the pins will default to low. If not, you can solve that problem by connecting a large resistor to ground, something like 1 meg might be a good choice. The highest value that will work is what you are looking for.

I hope this helps. If not, please let us know here and we will keep trying with you. This is too good a circuit to miss. It's probably the most valuable circuit in any Lunetta synth.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been looking over the CMOS chip data sheets and maybe a better choice would be the 4029. It might be easier to use, but 4018 should be usable too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: