electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  mosc Back on the air tonight - Twyndyllyngs
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Helping a Friend get into Music
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 258

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Helping a Friend get into Music
Subject description: Advice please...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I have a friend in Texas, never met her in person but we've been talking on the phone for years and she would like to get into music. She loves to listen to CDs on her computer and sing to the songs.

She has a computer with no microphone so this week I will be sending her this little cheapie microphone that I never use. Then I'll have her download Audacity which will cost her nothing. She's not very computer savvy so even Audacity might be a bit much for her, but it's only 2MB in size to download it, and she's on a modem (yes, a modem!) so software has got to be small in addition to being easy to use. Then I will guide her through the process of using Audacity to record her voice.

OK, that's a start. What she really wants to do is play piano. I was thinking that for Christmas I could get her a keyboard that has a line-in and/or USB interface to the computer. So my questions are as follows:

Is there anything easier to use than Audacity that's free and has a small download size? What very inexpensive keyboard can I get for her? What other recommendations do you have? Thanks for your reply.

Les

Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Helping a Friend get into Music
Subject description: Advice please...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Hi, I have a friend in Texas, never met her in person but we've been talking on the phone for years and she would like to get into music. She loves to listen to CDs on her computer and sing to the songs.
Are you sure she wants more? Singing along with a CD is fun, why go any further?
Quote:
... Then I will guide her through the process of using Audacity to record her voice.
Beware that not only the Bell company gets all the profit! Wink
Quote:
OK, that's a start. What she really wants to do is play piano. I was thinking that for Christmas I could get her a keyboard that has a line-in and/or USB interface to the computer. So my questions are as follows:

Is there anything easier to use than Audacity that's free and has a small download size? What very inexpensive keyboard can I get for her? What other recommendations do you have? Thanks for your reply.
This is more difficult. Here in Europe Yamaha keyboards are for sale, NEW, for about € 125.-, but is that not to much for a friend whom you never saw in your life? These things are rare on the second hand market, though.

Wout
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wout, I only have $41 to pay for her present, including shipping to Texas. I was thinking that perhaps one of those toy keyboards that Danno Gee Ray collects would be good enough to get something, however toy-like it may be, in her hands. What do you think?

Les

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, my friend just sent me an email saying that she already has a toy keyboard so no need to get into that. The other questions still stand.

Les

Antimon

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess she's on a Windows system?

If she just needs to record what she's playing and singing, and does not need any multitracking, it could be an idea to just start with the Sound Recorder app that's built into Windows (Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment under the start button). It doesn't get any simpler than that - just press the red record button and go.

After that I'm afraid Audicity is the best choice.

/Stefan

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ty Stefan, that helps.

Les

klangumsetzer

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi les,

maybe it's too much but you can install and preconfigure reaper from cockos on a usb stick and send it to your friend. you can setup an easy to use template for her, too. perhaps add asio4all to boost the audio performance and have it installed via a script?

best regards

eike
---
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's a good idea, eike. I'll save that one for future use. She just sent me an email saying that she found the windows thingie - cool. So she has just what she needs except the mic, which I will mail to her. Much appreciated!

Les

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Windows as a music workstation
Jump to: