electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Could I be blowing up chips?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
altern8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Could I be blowing up chips?
Subject description: Please someone check this schematic
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm an obsessed newb who's been lurking here for the past several months. Nick Collins' book changed my life and I'm looking forward to being a part of this online community!

Now to the thing at hand. The schematic is based on a section of Beavis' Heterodyne Space Explorer Peyote, particularly the 4060 / 4040 / 4051 combination with the addition of a NAND gate ringmod at the end.

Please excuse me if I've committed any schematic faux pax in drawing this out. Like I said, I'm a noob and basically completely new to all of this.

I've put this schematic together showing everything that I'm using on the breadboard exactly as I have it hooked up. I might have missed something cuz I'm kinda tired at the moment.

This sounds killer but I'm wondering if any sharper eyes out there can see anything fatally wrong here because I seem to be blowing up my 4051 chips! They just quit working and I pop another chip in and it's going again.

HALP!

[/img]

ringmod thingy.png
 Description:
Revised 08/14/2012
 Filesize:  5.03 KB
 Viewed:  126 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ringmod thingy.png

Last edited by altern8 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Psyingo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So ground isn't connected in those chips? That could be an issue...
bubzy

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome !

how long before they pop?
do they get hot?

cmos ususally dont like reverse voltages so check something isnt going funny there.
also the pins you have marked I/O i see are also marked in out on the datasheet but it also states that this is a 3 input chip, perhaps something weird is going on with your I/O 1-7 as these look as though they should be outputs from the 3 channel binary inputs A B and C.

i could be wrong of course as i am also a noob (someone clever will respond with the correct answer though)

Razz

Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome dude! Ground pins 6, 7 8 on the 4051 for starters and see if that changes anything. The inputs on switches going to 9v...similar to the 4051 cv generator some of us have built in the past. That looks right.

I haven't done the output from pin 3 like you have (I tend to just connect that output directly to my mixer or use as a cv source for other modules).

This is the fun part in this hobby; how much does it take to make some interesting sounds before it blows up? Finding that point calls her done for me Wink .

BTW: I'm still waking up so if I missed something, all apologies to the grand wizards Smile .

PHOBoS

Audio files: 332

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

apart from the allready mentioned GND connections of the two chips, I don't see anything wrong with the schematic.
The 10K pot on the output is wired a bit unconventional though, but shouldn't give any problems.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
altern8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Psyingo wrote:
So ground isn't connected in those chips? That could be an issue...

Express Schematic's ground symbol looks too much like a power symbol. I'm gonna have to change that.

I have the 4040 is grounded at "RST" pin 11 AND pin 8 (missed it on my drawing). The 4051 is only grounded at pin 6 "VEE" at the moment. I'll try putting 7 and 8 to ground and see what happens.

I was getting maybe an hour or so of throughput then the first tone would go silent. No heat. Checked all connections and the signal was stopping at the 4051.

I was taking output from pin 3 of the 4051 cuz that's how Beavis has it in his diagram at http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/CMOS_Synthesizers/Heterodyne-Peyote-Space-Explorer.png

Thanks to everyone!

Psyingo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pin 6 of the 4051 looks to be inhibit, you need to ground pin 7 and 8, out else the ic isn't really grounded at all... That seems like an issue that could be gaming your chips...
altern8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The wise ones have spoken and I shall heed.

I've updated the schematic image above with added grounding. Ill give it a go and we'll see if it holds on.

Thanks to everybody!

altern8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: That was it Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep. Got the final module all soldered up and going strong.

Strapped a distortion circuit with a phased-lock loop like Drall did at the link below and it's one beastly thing!

Thanks again folx!

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-51275.html

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: