electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
<on air> Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Complete Beginner to producing music. Need help starting out
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Lukearm123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Complete Beginner to producing music. Need help starting out Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello there everyone! New member here at electro-music and recently have been increasingly interested in producing electro music. I have never had any experience with any programs or any hardware of the sort. I was looking at the Korg Kaoss Pad and the Kaossilator Pro but i have heard that they are pretty limited by themselves. I researched more and I say the Akai APC40 Ableton Controller. It looks pretty neat but the software looks god awful expensive. I also noticed people on Youtube had a Novation Launchpad coupled with a Korg Nano Kontrol. I'm so confused, I don't know where to begin! Also not sure if this would help, but my favorite electro artists would be Boys Noize, Daft Punk, Digitilism, and most of Skrillex. That is more of the sound I am looking for if this would help in any way. Thanks in advanced for all your help!

Lukearm123
onewayness

Audio files: 19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luke:

Well, it's a bit of a complicated question, and depends on a lot of different things. Are you looking to record music, do live sets, both? What's your background? Do you play an instrument? How tech savvy are you? Are you looking to do something more hardware-based or more software-based...? Etc.

As a totally random suggestion, not knowing the answers to any of the above, I'll mention that a lot of entry-level audio interfaces/midi controllers/etc come bundled with Ableton Live 'Lite'. Obviously it's not as full featured as the full version, but it's something you can get your hands on for cheap and dabble with and see if it appeals to you. It's something that gets used a lot in the kinds of styles that you're into.

Of the hardware stuff that you mention, I happen to own the Kaossilator (not the Pro, just the regular one), and the nanoKontrol. The Kaossilator is tons of fun and a tool that I find a ton of uses for, but it's got big limitations. It's not really an all-in-one solution by any means. The nanoKontrol I love for things like tweaking synth parameters on the fly, triggering samples, whatever. But it's not gonna do anything on its own, it needs something to be controlling.

Hopefully all of this is at least a little help...

Cheers,
Adam / onewayness
www.onewayness.com
bubzy

Audio files: 62

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you got a budget or are you rolling in cash?
kinda important for people to give you advice. theres lots of free software too if you are looking at that.
i think Reaper has a free trial period to try.
i use propellerheads reason and have done for the past 7 years. its just awesome, i also have a yamaha cs1-x and the kaossilator and mini KP. with just these few tools im comletely equipped to make any sort of noise. but again it really is dependant on your budget Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos » Production - engineering/mixing
Jump to: