electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Please confirm my understanding of Doepfer CV connections
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ark

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Please confirm my understanding of Doepfer CV connections
Subject description: Connecting Doepfer ribbon controller to Phatty
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just got a Doepfer R2M ribbon controller that I want to use to make my Slim Phatty fretless, as it were. I knew that Doepfer uses 3.5mm connectors and Moog uses 1/4, but I had a cable with 3.5mm TRS on one end and dual 1/4 TS on the other, so I thought I was all set.

Well... I connected one end of the cable to the ribbon controller and the TS connector labeled "Tip" to the Moog and nothing useful happened. So I tried the connector labeled "Ring" and still nothing useful happened.

I next tried searching the documentation to see if it would explain how CV was connected to the connector. No joy. So I got out the voltmeter.

What the voltmeter suggests is that the CV is between the tip and ring conductors, and the shield floats. By implication, I should be able to use a cable with 3.5mm TS (not TRS) at one end and 1/4-inch TS at the other and all will be well.

However, if someone reading this is more familiar with Doepfer gear than I am, I would appreciate a sanity check on this belief while I wait for the appropriate cable to arrive from Sweetwater.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I have a Doepfer system amd have never used trs, just ts only.
wmonk

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There might be two things going on here: the Moog requires a gate too to get sound, or another cable.
The doepfer website states:
Quote:
2 CV outputs (3.5 mm mono jack sockets, same as used in the A-100 system):
CV1 outputs the position sensor data (1V/octave standard, 0...max. +5V, i.e. max. 5 octaves)
CV2 outputs the pressure sensor data (0...+5V)
Gate output (corresponds to CV1, 3.5 mm mono jack socket, same as used in the A-100 system):
http://www.doepfer.de/R2M.htm

So you should be able to use a mono cable. I think the Moog needs that gate. I think that must be S-Trigger, and then you have to select that option inside the box with a jumper.

ark

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The issue wasn't the gate, it was that at the time I posted the original query, I simply did not have any cables with 3.5mm TS at one end and 1/4" TS at the other. I did have a cable with TRS at both ends, but that one didn't work; that's why I broke out the voltmeter.

Since then I have gotten my hands on some appropriately sized TS cables, and now all works as I would expect.
EATyourGuitar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when plugging stereo cables into TS jacks you are gambling that they are not using stereo jacks with the ring and sleeve setup as a cable detector or switch. like say you had a cable you made that is a mono cable and you used a stereo jack at one end with nothing connected to the ring. when you use it to plug into a battery powered guitar pedal, the pedal will never turn on cause the ring floats. that pedal needs a real TS cable so the ring and sleeve of the jack get connected through the cable and provide power for the pedal.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: