electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Faking 16/20 steps possible?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
richardc64

Audio files: 25

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Faking 16/20 steps possible?
Subject description: There may be glitches...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The basic idea is to use the end of the last step, whichever that may be, to toggle a flipflop to switch between two sets of pots. Call 'em 'A and 'B. Should be applicable to both 4017- or shift register-based sequencers.

One shortcoming I forsee is if there's no Start button or switch then which set of pots "goes first" could be unpredictable. Also, only an even number of steps is possible: a Length of 6 or 7 would give 12 or 14 steps, but there's no way to get 13 or 15 steps.

The two remaining 4066 switches could toggle between 2 gate/trigger busses.
Instead of a 4066, a 4053 triple 2-channel AnaMux©, having an Enable pin, might be more versatile.

These are just ideas.

fake16-20.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.07 KB
 Viewed:  1812 Time(s)

fake16-20.gif

Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Faking 16/20 steps possible?

nice idea!
richardc64 wrote:
but there's no way to get 13 or 15 steps.
Guess you could and the reset with one of the flip flop outputs to get a choice of a reset on an odd step in the first or second run ... grmpf I cant get line breaks in here with firefox 6 on a mac ...
brock

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Faking 16/20 steps possible?

Blue Hell wrote:
Guess you could and the reset with one of the flip flop outputs to get a choice of a reset on an odd step in the first or second run ...

I thought the same at first but that significantly changes the operation as the 4017 will always run to the end on the first pass if you qualify reset with Q. Maybe that's how you make it work though, the flip-flop output is not symmetrical, the 4017 output 10 always clocks the flip-flop and reset for sequences of 10 or more steps is qualified with Q. The flip-flop and 4017 resets are tied together and that solves the random bank problem...mostly...I think there's still an issue with a count of 20 where you don't have a reset.

Trying to think this through as I type.

What if you interleave the outputs rather than have sequential banks? The input clock goes to the flip-flip clock, not the 4017, the flip-flop outputs control the 4066s and /Q clocks the 4017. Resets are tied together again. Might work. Still would need to AND the step out and Q to get odd count sequences.
richardc64

Audio files: 25

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Faking 16/20 steps possible?

brock wrote:
What if you interleave the outputs rather than have sequential banks?

Hmmm...an interesting thought. Meanwhile, I thought of alternating between two "Length" selectors. When in "Dual" mode the B length is disabled; there'd be two CV channels (A & B) of up to 8 steps. In "Single" mode longer sequences, including odd, (by selecting, say, A=8 & B=7,) would be possible.

But it's already beginning to get unwieldy, and I haven't even begun to think about alternating the Gate outs. It might be simpler to build two Baby8's reset and clocked together for two sync'ed 8-steps, with the chaining circuit discussed here http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-49549.html switched in for a longer single channel.

Perhaps the whole "alternating" idea is better suited for a counter plus decoder(s) -type sequencer.

2lengths.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.86 KB
 Viewed:  79 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

2lengths.gif

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: