electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
can someone suggest any set-top/desktop keyboard racks?
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: can someone suggest any set-top/desktop keyboard racks? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My studio space is fairly limited and there's not much room for an extra keyboard stand. I looked around on the web but didn't find much there either. All I want is something that holds one or two keyboards above my desk space. I've seen something like that in different studio images, but why are they so hard to find? Any suggestions?

To give you an idea of what exactly I'm looking for, this comes pretty close, but it's too narrow and doesn't look sturdy enough.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The link doesn´t work.

Some vendors did have keyboard shelves for wall mounting, some of these were obviously designed for shops. I guess these are still around.
Off the top of my head I cannot come up with something that is suitable for use above a workspace.. that sounds tricky. You can of course buy some sort of modular system that you can fit together in a way that almost makes sense. scratch

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right... now the link works.. and no.. or rather yes.. that one does not seem sturdy. I wouldn´t put my 88key Kurzweil on top of it. Shocked Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
audiodef

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built a desktop synth stand once, using a triangular table from Ikea. I sawed the legs in half. Using the sawed-off portions of the legs, I affixed posts to the three corners of the top side of the table, with the front post being shorter. To the top of the posts I affixed some felt. I used it to support my Alesis Ion. The rear of the Ion rested on the two rear posts while the front of the Ion was prevented from sliding off by the front post. I put this rig behind the mixers on my desk. I wish I had a photo of this setup. It was very economical.
Aciphecs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe something like this might work, if there is room to fit the stand behind your desk.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://quiklok.it

http://quiklok.com

There should be parts and whatnots here that can be used. I reckon some of the second tier options for some of the keyboard stands can be modified or used as they are .. just add some vodka and imagination.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suppose I'll have to build it myself and patent it? D'oh! now someone else's gonna do it doh
Aciphecs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe something like a lecturn might work? I use one as a makeshift keyboard stand and it works really well.
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, but it dosen't leave much room to put something like another keyboard under it. Plus the price is a bit out of my league, at least at the moment. I'll just keep looking...
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You didn´t see this one?
http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=135&sName=QLX-1

This one can hold a pretty heavy and nasty keyboard:
http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=137&sName=QLX-3

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

There are several similar second tier products there.
Most of them are very adjustable.

You simply need to figure out how to fasten these things to your desk.. which is not really very difficult if you can make some holes and get some tubes and shit. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I have something like that, two sets of them mounted on a keyboard stand, holding three keyboards already and that's tall enough. I was hoping to find something that doesn't require modification? I was just thinking it would be practical to have something like a simple desktop rack/stand. A dual desktop keyboard rack that's adjustable in with and heigth. That would be the holy grail for me right now.
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

was just thinking: I could just use one stand and set a nice sturdy board on the 1st level and use that for a desk? But I don't want to give up my beautiful desk.. Sad I guess some large bricks and a wide enough board will have to do for now..
audiodef

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Things you do yourself take on a quality specific to you, so you may end up liking it more than a generic, shiny new gizmo from the store. Wink
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not exactly what I was hoping for, but beats the alternative (forking up $$ for a specialized, uberpriced thing Smile
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 187
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the griffin elevator is pretty cool for supporting small stuff, I have a couple I use for holding small things, like my repeater, blofeld, cs-01, vss-30 etc

what stuff did you want to use it for?

patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what I'm basically looking for is something that sits on a desk and lifts one (or two) keyboards above the deskspace and preferably leaves some space below to hide some stuff underneath. I have seen someone somewhere use a kind of keyboard tray(?) that sat on a desk but I guess it could have been something that was custom made.

PS: The Griffin Elevator looks kewl alright, but will it hold something large and heavy (like an an ESQ-1)?
modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 187
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no, it's not strong enough to hold a synth as heavy as the esq-1

if you used 2, one at each end you might be OK, but I'd use them for your lighter stuff

also they are not that high, so you need to think about the height of the thing they will be sitting behind

Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: