electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Just finished a WSG - pics and a question
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
benjo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Just finished a WSG - pics and a question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Although I've had some other basic electronics experience, this is certainly my first synth DIY project, and what a pleasure it was to build. I also must add that I was as inspired by this community as I was by Ray Wilson to get into this, so a big thanks for that.

I decided to make mine a bit angry, as the WSG can be known to make some excellently profane noises...

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Some questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

I added a basic amp using an LM386, and I was having a lot of trouble with ground noise in that circuit. I'm running ground to it from the panel, but should I be grounding it somewhere else like on the pot where most other grounds are running from? I was able to make some good progress here by running a 10uF cap between + and - in that circuit, and a 0.1uF cap between the + and - rails on the 386, but is there anything more/different I should be doing here?

It doesn't sound terrible, and most of the ground noise seems to be gone, but it just doesn't have the clarity that the line out has. Am I foolish to expect more from a basic 386 amp, or are there any good tactics for increasing the quality? The amp circuit I used is below:

Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Just finished a WSG - pics and a question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

benjo wrote:
but should I be grounding it somewhere else like on the pot where most other grounds are running from?

Yeah, or on your power supply even, but the idea of a "star point" certainly applies here and any ground current running trough the front panel would mess things up in a way as you experienced.

You could just take a ground wire and experiment a bit to find a ground spot that gives least trouble .. its not so easy often to see where the currents actually flow.

And thats a damn nice looking box! I'd listen to any audio you'd post here Wink

o . and welcome of course Smile

benjo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds good, I'll experiment with a couple grounding options, thanks!
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To remove noise:
Add a cap to ground on pin 7 of the LM386. About 1uF should do.
Also I use a 100uF cap accross the supply when using an LM386.

This amp will allways distort badly (or nicely if you like distortion Twisted Evil) at high gain, it's wise to add both a gain control and a volume control with a resistor at the top of your volume pot to limit the input voltage to a low voltage. Then adjust the gain and input volume carefully (they affect each other) untill you have the maximum volume you can get with no distortion.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
jordroid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great!

Nice job,

jordan
loydb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beautiful build!
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
ashleym

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love the build. Great style to the box. For us Brits couldnt you have put on w@nker?

Another source of distortion could be the gain of the circuit you are using. (Getting the figures wrong but) the LM386 put out about 1/2 a watt, the WSG will put out, say, about 1V. Different units but think about it you wont need 1V with gain of 200 giving 200V output if the little amp could ever output that much.....Looking quickly at the datasheet you need to look at the components between pins 1 and 8, try no capacitor and an 1.35K resistor. This will give you a lot more useable scale on the volume control too.

Did I mention I loved the box?
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks really great! Love the labels!!!

I think the grounding problem is with the LINE OUT socket. It should read ASSHOLE.
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You need one of these

Laughing

Great looking build tho Wink
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: