electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Best iOS sequencer for external hardware?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Best iOS sequencer for external hardware? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this is such a stereotypical newbie question, but I'm looking for a little guidance. I have a first generation 64GB iPad and wish to use it to control my external hardware synths. i'm not really into softsynths and just want a midi sequencer that can control my set-up.
Ideally, i'd like the sequencer to send program/bank (at least at start-up), note on/off, sustain pedal, volume, pitch bend, mod wheel,
and velocity, of course.

So far, I've downloaded the following aps and here's what I didn't like about them:
Genome: I think in terms of musical phrases (2-4 measures) not just single measures. It slows my composition style down. Also, I don't see how to send program messages.
FL Studio HD Mobile: Can only output midi on one channel. I need at least half a dozen
These are nice apps...just not what I'm looking for.

Before I keep plunking down for apps at US$20 per whack, trying to find one that works like I want it, I was hoping someone here could make a recommendation.

Thanks!

Keysandslots

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/11/phaedra-ipad-sequencer-first-look.html

Phaedra?

Randy

1974 (maybe 1975) Rhodes Stage 88, Kurzweil K2600XS, Kurzweil K2500R, Roland A35, Roland A90EX, Korg Microstation, Korg MicroKorg, Alesis SR-16, Shruthi SMR4 mk1, Shruthi 4PM, PreenFM, MIDIPal, iPad 2 + Alesis IO Dock, Maxon Phaser, Maxon Chorus
XCenter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

StepPolyArp - http://laurentcolson.com/steppolyarp.html

Don´t be fooled by the term "Arpeggiator". It has a latch function and acts like a sequencer.

Music for conscious listening @ http://www.frankmakowski.com
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Randy and XCenter,
It looks like these would work per my original description above, but I have one more requirement: I need to be able to input midi notes into a sequence by playing a midi keyboard live and not a step entry...like the old school trackers. I'd like to be able to build up phrases played on my keyboard to build up phrases. I don't do a lot of step entry.

Ideally, it would work like EZ-Tracks or Tiger Cub on my old, long gone AtariST. It's funny, the iPad is much more powerful than an old ST, but I can't seem to find anything like them now.

It looks like Music Studio or Beatmaker2 might be closer to what I'm looking for in that respect. FL Studio Mobile looked that way too, until I bought it and found it only outputs on one channel.

XCenter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regarding StepPolyArp: "Receiving Midi notes and control from external devices"
Keeping the latch mode in mind, isn´t that exactly what you are looking for?

Music for conscious listening @ http://www.frankmakowski.com
Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Keeping the latch mode in mind, isn´t that exactly what you are looking for?

You may be right. It may be my misunderstanding of what that really meant. I thought it was more like a continuous looping and overdupping. Let me investigate more.

Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, slight update...............
FL Studio will output on multiple midi channels. In the CoreMidi utility, just set Midi out for "Track#" I thought that was just a label and not an actual choice.

Now the only problem is that midi program # is not output afaik. I played one of the sample pieces into a General Midi module and all I got was piano on all non-drum tracks and drums on channel 10. Piano is program 1 and the default voice on power up for each non-drum channel, so what it sounded like was a piano orchestra with drums. This could still be workable as long as a hardware synths are only set to one midi channel and the patch is set-up before starting.

Dan Lavin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well after checking YouTube videos, it looks like both Symphonix Evolution and Music Studio will do what I need.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: