electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Component Values
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
amongstmyselves

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Component Values Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

A newbie here. I've planned to create a monster modular / normalised synth using many of Ray's modules.

A question though. Ray is using odd value resistors eg. 499K. Do I need to be that accurate or can I go to the closest E24 value like 510K ?

Cheers,

Steve Roberts
Feifer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah,, That would totally work. If you get that close it's not going to keep the thing from working, it will probably just change the range a little ( I think I saw that value on either end of a pot on the VCF ). But when you think about it 510 and 499 are only about 2% off. You probably won't even hear it. I'm not sure why Ray uses the weird ones.
amongstmyselves

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers Feifer
ashleym

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was only going to agree with the advice given.

If you are planning a monster, have a look at Skrog Productions Blue Monster. He has some clever packaging ideas and might well have been through some of the decision making you are probably going through now.

amongstmyselves

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the lead ashleym.

I've attached the current version of the front panel. I'm fortunate that my part time job is in printing and I have access (no charge usually) to a flat bed printer so the front panels are easy for me. In the past I've used a material we use at work called DiBond. It's a laminate of .25mm aluminium then 2.5mm of pvc followed by another later of .25mm aluminium. Great for front panels. We usually have stacks of off cuts from jobs.

Though I still have to drill them out. This design uses most of Ray Wilson's positionings. I've a blog running for all my electronics work.

http://amongstprojects.blogspot.com.au/
ashleym

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is a great looking unit. Looking at the panel now you have just about everything a synthesist could need.

On here somewhere are pictures of my Ultimate and expander. I have a not finished sequencer as well, I should put some new pictures up. I am using the quantiser with the sequencer, are you planing to use it for external sources?

If you dont mind could I make a couple of comments? Have you looked at these for a mixer......

http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/p350.html

(more Oz based stuff!!)

Will the width of the unit work OK? You will end up with pretty long leads.

Is it worth thinking about another env or VCA? Look at threads around here about how many VCAs you end up needing.

Have you looked at Fonik's attenverters (or however its spelt?) to give you some inverted ENVs or keyboard control voltages?

amongstmyselves

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice looking unit Ashley.

Hey thanks for the suggestions for extra modules and the size of the unit. Since posting that pic I've added the MFOS Dual VCA module after reading a thread concerning "you can never have enough VCAs".

Not sure what to do about the size. Yes the unit is just under 1metre wide at the moment and I haven't been too concerned with long patch cables at this stage. I could look at making it higher as it's only 240mm high at this moment. You're a trouble maker Ashley Very Happy Just when I thought I had it.

I have been arguing with myself about a mixer, mainly for audio but I do have a nice Mackie desk going unused at the moment. But a matrix mixer Mmmm. You may have struck a chord here. I've built a matrix mixer for my noise rack which is used for routing a multi effects units sends around. I presume you can use this design with control voltages as well ???

Back to the drawing board for some reviews I think.

Thanks for taking an interest Ashley !

Steve R.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: