electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Roland GR-20: Guitar Synthesizer
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Roland GR-20: Guitar Synthesizer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Ever wanted to thicken up your guitar sound with a warm synth pad? Or how about a screaming lead sound that puts you in front? The GR-20 Guitar Synthesizer makes playing high-quality synthesizer and instrument sounds from your guitar as simple as 1-2-3. First, attach the included GK-3 Divided Pickup to your steel-stringed electric (no drilling necessary). Second, select the type of sound you want using the Bank knob. Third, choose a sound variation using the Number/Value dial and start playing. With the GR-20, it’s easy to tap into the power of guitar synthesis.

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know how effective the device/pickup are for turning a guitar into a MIDI controller (for triggering other synths)? If so or if not, does anyone know of a device that converts electric guitar to MIDI signals the most effectively? Even so, would such a device produce good results when bending or sliding strings (or does the technology need to get better to accomodate this)?
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the previous generation Roland GR-33 and a Les Paul guitar equipped with the GK-2A pickup. The pickup works very well and you can indeed bend notes. I'd say that this is very usable technology. For one reason or another, many guitar players can't adjust to the MIDI guitar. I think it's a limitation of the player, not the technology. To be fair, most guitar players like guitars the way they are. They aren't looking to be on the forefront of musical exploration. There are, of course, exceptions and the Roland MIDI system provide them with a much expanded sonic palette.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I have the previous generation Roland GR-33 and a Les Paul guitar equipped with the GK-2A pickup.

Tell me one thing: how did you attached the GK2A to your precious Les Paul? Did you dare making holes on its body?

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure. It's not a Gibson, it's an Epiphone. We bought this guitar for the purpose of adding the MIDI pickup, which we got used (that's why there are scratches on it). I think I did a beautiful job on the installation. (I usually botch physical construction projects). I carefully cut a piece of wood to the exact size required. I even painted it black before installing it.

The guitar is much more precious now that the GK was added.

The pick guard being signed the Les Paul helps too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
7/4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
For one reason or another, many guitar players can't adjust to the MIDI guitar. I think it's a limitation of the player, not the technology.

There are two problems with the Roland synth pickup: tracking and latency. The tracking can be improved with heavier strings, but what can be cone about latency?

Quote:

To be fair, most guitar players like guitars the way they are. They aren't looking to be on the forefront of musical exploration. There are, of course, exceptions and the Roland MIDI system provide them with a much expanded sonic palette.

Some of us make our sonic explorations without a synth. Laughing

I rarely use my gr-1 anymore.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, 7/4, you are of course an exceptional exception. I have found the tracking to be excellent, but you are probably much more sensitive to pitch being that you are so into alternative tunings. Heck, I play equal tempered keyboards which are always out-of-tune. Mad

Your comment about it being better to use heavy strings is interesting. I'll have to try that out.

I've not done an extensive survey, but one of the most successful users of the Roland system is The Great Bela Fleck. Of course, he uses the system on a banjo. I've heard him play some moderately fast passages using MIDI to play many different sounds including sitar and steel drums.

Latency is a very interesting thing. MIDI has some latency, even on a very fast system. In the early days, some people said it wasn't usable for this reason. Softsynths have latency and have been avoided similarly. Still many musicians have learned to deal with latency and use technologies that have it quite effectively. Think also of the huge pipe organs and carillons. Conductors experience latency too.

Latency can be a powerful creative elixir. I use Tim Thompson's KeyKit program to process MIDI to provide relatively long latency, like 5 seconds. Then I begin to improvise on the keyboard, but only hear what was played 5 seconds before. It's a fabulous experience - liberating.

There is another issue for guitar players and MIDI. The playing style needs to be changed for every patch. Give a finger picker a MIDI guitar with a pad patch and they are going to have to stop finger picking (which is essentially arpeggiating). Master the pad and switch to an organ patch; everything changes. With MIDI guitar, you have to stop notes using techniques which have to be discovered and learned. It's a new skill set.

My wife, for whom I got this guitar, has yet to warm up to it.
7/4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

There is another issue for guitar players and MIDI. The playing style needs to be changed for every patch. Give a finger picker a MIDI guitar with a pad patch and they are going to have to stop finger picking (which is essentially arpeggiating). Master the pad and switch to an organ patch; everything changes. With MIDI guitar, you have to stop notes using techniques which have to be discovered and learned. It's a new skill set.

I guess so. It was all so transparent to me, I guess I knew what to expect. Cool
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » Gear News
Jump to: