electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
How long'd it take?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: How long'd it take?
Subject description: ..just 2 cents on banana joy..
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had to make up a bunch of modular cables today - took me about an hour to make about 45 cables - stackable 4mm banana type. (no race either - couple of smoke breaks etc..!..). It made me wonder why bananas are not the clear choice for everyone - I'm sure I've heard some arguments before (the only I can think of is switched jack options) but the +s of bananas just stack and stack (huh huh)..

1) Damn quick to make - seriously, you'd go nuts doing a load of 1/8 or 1/4" cables - I did some balanced cables a few nights ago and felt like giving up after 6 cables..

2) Cheap - bananas are damn cheap - quality jacks = £££

3) Reliable - I think Howard has spoken about their reliability (both in the cables and the sockets)

4) No soldering required & half the connections

5) Colours

6) Stackable

The decision is a no-brainer for me... so what's the reasons?

(oh, cross-talk? nah, not going to be much of a problem with these signals surely?)

Yorky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can always reduce crosstalk by using screened cable

no I'm not mad, you only use the inner core of course, the screen is left 'floating' but it does provide a barrier between the next cable (two barriers if that one's screened as well)

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: How long'd it take?
Subject description: ..just 2 cents on banana joy..
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugbrand wrote:
Damn quick to make - seriously, you'd go nuts doing a load of 1/8 or 1/4" cables - I did some balanced cables a few nights ago and felt like giving up after 6 cables..

Yep, I'm with you there Tom!
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If i was starting again, i'd probably go banana(...s), definitely simpler to build with and colour co-ordinated to boot.

but i started with 3.5mm and i'll stick with it.

anyway i got 250 readymade patchcords for 10c each and 1000 sockets for 5c each, can't get much cheaper.
(if you live in Australia keep an eye on Rockby's monthly specials)
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My reason:

100 1/4" jacks = about 30.00
100 Banana jacks = about 8.00

If 1/4" jacks came in colors other than silver and black I'd probably use them in everything.

Anyone know where I can score some smokey or grey colored banana jacks?
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
100 Banana jacks = about 8.00

where's this?

oh and you can get grey at mouser
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To each their own.....

I use 3.5mm. If I was starting over again, I'd use 3.5 mm Very Happy

But, that's just me.

I get the cables from All Electronics, cheap. I've got around 100 cables, and I usually stop patching when they're all gone. I need to order more. I've had none break, but if one did, it wouldn't break my heart. At less than a buck, who cares? Dump it and move on with my life.

I tend to build very compact, terse panels; panels that I'm certain would drive others bonkers. But I get one hell of a lot of functionality out of a small space, and it pleases me. The 3.5mm connector enables this to a great degree.

The second main reason is switching jacks. God, I love'em. I've eaten less space in mults than I would have with switches for all of those switching jacks. Of course, my mother of all mults module has 45 connectors - nine 5 point commons with switching jacks linking three columns of 15. I've not even gotten close to filling it up yet.

As an example, my Dual MS-20 filter has a row of three jacks for V/Oct (KBD) control. If I plug the control into the center jack, the voltage on that jack controls both filters. If I plug a cable into either of the side jacks, that CV will control either of the filters only (depending on where I've plugged in). If I plug audio into filter A only, the signal is routed in series through the filter. If I plug audio into filter B only, the signal is routed in parallel through both filters. If I plug audio into Filter A and Filter B, then both filters route the A&B signals independently. Filter A CV1 is routed to Filter B CV2, Filter B CV1 is inverted and routed to Filter A CV2. These levels are controlled by the CV2 controls for each filter. This allows me control of both filters with one CV, and it can double as a bandwidth control if I'm in series bandpass mode (filter 1 HP, filter 2 LP). If I want a different CV input to either or both, then I plug cables in. This allows the configuration and control of the filters to be determined solely by how its patched - series, parallel or independent. I won't even get started on my mixer module...

Color coding - just color the ends, that helps. Not that I've done that, but I suppose it would help.......

Reliability? Depends on what you use for jacks. There's a lotta ARP 2600s out there, but I don't hear people griping too terribly much about the jacks.

If Blacet and Wiard dig'em, they can't be all bad......

Cheers,
Scott
bugbrand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's the sort of answers I was looking for - cheers Scott.!.
Yeah, panel space - guess though the difference is small, 3.5mm sockets will just win over 4mm (plus the plugs on bananas are bigger)
Fascinating on the switching possibilities.!.

So, for quick'n'cheapy simpletons like me bananas are the way, but if you've got more discipline then 3.5mm adds bunches extra. Nice!

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tom,

You know, after I posted that, I thought of something that would put me more in the banana camp - if I was a live performer, I think I would prefer them. Same goes for the terse, cramped panel style - it would have to go.

At home, I can take all the time I want setting up a patch, but if I were on stage, changing patches on the fly would be nightmarish with the arrangement I use.

Now, I suppose if things were not so condensed, 3.5mm would work fine, but still the tactile feel of the bananas would be a welcome thing.

Color coding would be a lifesaver there, for sure.

Cheers,
Scott
Funky40

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HEy,bugbrand and Scott,you both have very good arguments.
Bevore reading the post fromScott i just came into thinking,maybe to use bananas for the future............

But then i reads Scotts one.................. Very Happy

Main Reason why i would have changed: the Quality of the miniJack sockets which i get here.

@Scott
wich Sockets do you use ?

I'm thinking about to get the ones Dotcom uses in their Mini-Jack Interface ----> Switchcraft (mouser Part 502-41
http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=502-41

this are the best ones i know at that moment

OU,i also soldered Cables some Days ago.
10 Cables ..........................., it tooked me Hours i think.............
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone have advice on where to get decently priced wire for 4mm banana jacks? ;D
Yorky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Hey Tom,

You know, after I posted that, I thought of something that would put me more in the banana camp - if I was a live performer, I think I would prefer them. Same goes for the terse, cramped panel style - it would have to go.

At home, I can take all the time I want setting up a patch, but if I were on stage, changing patches on the fly would be nightmarish with the arrangement I use.

Now, I suppose if things were not so condensed, 3.5mm would work fine, but still the tactile feel of the bananas would be a welcome thing.

Color coding would be a lifesaver there, for sure.

Cheers,
Scott

Norman Fay of the band Vietgrove, sets up on stage with (among other things) a completely unpatched Wiard/Blacet modular, and doesn't begin patching until well into the first track, and while playing other keyboards, guitar, etc ....
Amazing

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I've seen pics of Norman's stage setup - amazing.

Funky40 - Long time ago I bought some really nice 3.5mm's from All Electronics, but they don't seem to have them anymore. Switchcraft are very, very reliable. Blacet uses Mouser Part Number 16PJ012, which seem to be really nice ones, too.

Careful buying cheap ones - sometimes they can really blow (voice of experience) and sometimes they're actually not too bad. Hosfelt sells a cheap 3.5mm and you do get what you pay for (not recommended IMHO). I've got some I bought from (trying to recall here) MPJA? - boxy looking things - they look like they'll work just fine, but I have yet to put them into anything.

Cheers,
Scott
Funky40

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the Infos Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: