electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music
 
    Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

  host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Real Patriotism
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
bachus



Joined: Feb 29, 2004
Posts: 2921
Location: Up in that tree over there.
Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Real Patriotism Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

author unknown wrote:
I propose a Patriots Amendment to the constitution of the USA. It is surely true that a real patriot makes sacrifices for their country; an unpatriotic coward sits back and lets someone else do it for them.

Therefore let us demand that our military's expenses be paid by a ‘duty’, an income tax, a duty paid up in full each and every month—including projected expenses such as rehab and lifelong financial aid for our brave and deserving soldiers wounded in actions taken on our behalf. No American patriot would pass these costs onto future generations or sweep the sacrifice under the rug of distant obligation, but would gladly take it up upon their shoulders to show requisite respect, honor, and gratitude to those injured, incapacitated, wounded, maimed and killed for us. Think of what they’ve paid; think how little by comparison our ‘duty’ is. The military personal pay their ‘duty’ in pain and sacrifice made daily, hour-by-hour, minute-by-minute. The Patriots duty would be paid only monthly. Surely only the meanest unpatriotic coward could object.

And furthermore let us honor the communities and peoples that make the greater sacrifice. The “Patriots Duty” should be based on the graduated income tax further weighted proportionally to favor the income groups losing the most people in combat.

Be not cowardly America! Let us each and every one bare our fair burden, make our just sacrifice for war waged in our name. Surely that’s the very least any real American patriot can demand of themselves and thier countrymen.

_________________
The question is not whether they can talk or reason, but whether they can suffer. -- Jeremy Bentham
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
seraph
Editor
Editor


Joined: Jun 21, 2003
Posts: 12105
Location: Firenze, Italy
Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Real Patriotism Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
author unknown wrote:
...on our behalf...killed for us...in our name...

I am not American but it sounds fishy anyway.

_________________
homepage - blog - forum - youtube

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bachus



Joined: Feb 29, 2004
Posts: 2921
Location: Up in that tree over there.
Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Real Patriotism Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
bachus wrote:
author unknown wrote:
...on our behalf...killed for us...in our name...

I am not American but it sounds fishy anyway.


I don'know. I think getting a bill every month might be a good thing. Money might work where morality has failed Rolling Eyes

Edit:

But then I am an American.

_________________
The question is not whether they can talk or reason, but whether they can suffer. -- Jeremy Bentham
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Yorky



Joined: Feb 14, 2005
Posts: 244
Location: Boston, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, unpatriotic people are cowards, then

And anyway, doesn't income tax etc pay this stuff, if it doesn't then wtf why not, that's what you should be addressing, Mr Unknown

_________________
Lots of new albums at Ambientlive
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bachus



Joined: Feb 29, 2004
Posts: 2921
Location: Up in that tree over there.
Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yorky wrote:
So, unpatriotic people are cowards, then


I was just at a local county store and have been assured that this is in fact true.

Quote:
And anyway, doesn't income tax etc pay this stuff,


Yes it does. But the full cost of the war is not broken out, nor is the war waged on a pay as you go basis. Perhaps I'm too cynical, but I support this on the notion that if citizens had to make some acknowledged sacrifice for the war, even if it is only paying their fair share, rather than just watching others suffer it on TV, we'd be less likely to spend billions on endeavors that have no appreciable effect other than maiming and killing. But then I'm both a coward and a cynic.

_________________
The question is not whether they can talk or reason, but whether they can suffer. -- Jeremy Bentham
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bachus



Joined: Feb 29, 2004
Posts: 2921
Location: Up in that tree over there.
Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
But then I'm both a coward and a cynic.


Hmmmm, that gives a different edge to the phrase: "It sucks to be me."

Smile Very Happy Laughing Shocked Embarassed

_________________
The question is not whether they can talk or reason, but whether they can suffer. -- Jeremy Bentham
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
elektro80
Site Admin


Joined: Mar 25, 2003
Posts: 21977
Location: Norway
Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Real Patriotism Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
author unknown wrote:
I propose a Patriots Amendment to the constitution of the USA. It is surely true that a real patriot makes sacrifices for their country; an unpatriotic coward sits back and lets someone else do it for them.

Therefore let us demand that our military's expenses be paid by a ‘duty’, an income tax, a duty paid up in full each and every month—including projected expenses such as rehab and lifelong financial aid for our brave and deserving soldiers wounded in actions taken on our behalf. No American patriot would pass these costs onto future generations or sweep the sacrifice under the rug of distant obligation, but would gladly take it up upon their shoulders to show requisite respect, honor, and gratitude to those injured, incapacitated, wounded, maimed and killed for us. Think of what they’ve paid; think how little by comparison our ‘duty’ is. The military personal pay their ‘duty’ in pain and sacrifice made daily, hour-by-hour, minute-by-minute. The Patriots duty would be paid only monthly. Surely only the meanest unpatriotic coward could object.

And furthermore let us honor the communities and peoples that make the greater sacrifice. The “Patriots Duty” should be based on the graduated income tax further weighted proportionally to favor the income groups losing the most people in combat.

Be not cowardly America! Let us each and every one bare our fair burden, make our just sacrifice for war waged in our name. Surely that’s the very least any real American patriot can demand of themselves and thier countrymen.



I dunno, but the punchline is hilarious. I imagine John "Otto" Cleese could make this work.

_________________
A Charity Pantomime in aid of Paranoid Schizophrenics descended into chaos yesterday when someone shouted, "He's behind you!"

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
elektro80
Site Admin


Joined: Mar 25, 2003
Posts: 21977
Location: Norway
Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Real Patriotism Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:



I dunno, but the punchline is hilarious. I imagine John "Otto" Cleese could make this work.


It would take a fair number of LSD dropping chipmunks, chanting some freemasonic ritual, in order to present the right setting for this one though. It could be done. It is amazing how resourceful comedians are these days. They even hired trained monkeys for the parts as "investigating journalists" when they made the "Operation Desert Storm prt.2" blockbuster. I guess the War On Terror thingie will soon rival Stargate SG-1 as one of the longest running TV shows.

_________________
A Charity Pantomime in aid of Paranoid Schizophrenics descended into chaos yesterday when someone shouted, "He's behind you!"

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bachus



Joined: Feb 29, 2004
Posts: 2921
Location: Up in that tree over there.
Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Midst the humor here I do want to introduce another serious note. Even if you despise war and militarism it is not fair to blame the grunts for this. I know only two people who were in the military and both said they joined partly because of the draft but mostly because they were young and clueless*. I’m sure the latter is still true today, and as access to the middle class is an ever shrinking opportunity there are, no doubt, many who are there by economic pressure provided primarily by those least likely to end up getting shot or fried in a tank. So I do think our debt to them is real and should be paid in full and up front--at least so long as I am sufficiently cowardly to pay my taxes at all and thereby exist as part of a war machine--and I am at least that much a coward.

*And I don’t think there are too many of us old farts who can look back and say we were never young and clueless.

_________________
The question is not whether they can talk or reason, but whether they can suffer. -- Jeremy Bentham
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
seraph
Editor
Editor


Joined: Jun 21, 2003
Posts: 12105
Location: Firenze, Italy
Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
...So I do think our debt to them is real and should be paid in full and up front...

I am quite sure the guy who wrote:
Quote:

...on our behalf...killed for us...in our name...

is not one of them.

_________________
homepage - blog - forum - youtube

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bachus



Joined: Feb 29, 2004
Posts: 2921
Location: Up in that tree over there.
Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
bachus wrote:
...So I do think our debt to them is real and should be paid in full and up front...

I am quite sure the guy who wrote:
Quote:

...on our behalf...killed for us...in our name...

is not one of them.


Yea! The bastard!

_________________
The question is not whether they can talk or reason, but whether they can suffer. -- Jeremy Bentham
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bachus



Joined: Feb 29, 2004
Posts: 2921
Location: Up in that tree over there.
Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yorky wrote:
So, unpatriotic people are cowards, then ...

To again turn serious, I do not think unpatriotic persons are necessarily cowards. The issue is especially difficult for me because I am an individual coward first and a citizen second. By which I mean that I have little enthusiasm for suffering or dieing for abstractions. Somehow I am not wired to accept the reality of abstractions with sufficient conviction to suffer and die for them, though to make such sacrifice for family and loved ones seems entirely comprehensible, perhaps instinctual. I'm still pretty clueless.

_________________
The question is not whether they can talk or reason, but whether they can suffer. -- Jeremy Bentham
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
seraph
Editor
Editor


Joined: Jun 21, 2003
Posts: 12105
Location: Firenze, Italy
Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
I have little enthusiasm for suffering or dieing for abstractions.

me too, but that does not make us necessarily cowards, maybe disillusioned, cynic, individualistic earthlings Wink

_________________
homepage - blog - forum - youtube

Quote:
Politics is the entertainment division of the military industrial complex - Frank Zappa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
elektro80
Site Admin


Joined: Mar 25, 2003
Posts: 21977
Location: Norway
Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shake it!




_________________
A Charity Pantomime in aid of Paranoid Schizophrenics descended into chaos yesterday when someone shouted, "He's behind you!"

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ar2jr



Joined: Mar 29, 2008
Posts: 88
Location: San Francisco
Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and let's stop stealing from students while we are at it...the california education system is going to hell in a handbasket...


im not an american, i just happen to be here... Wink

-matia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
e-m mkii

Please support our site. If you click through and buy from
our affiliate partners, we earn a small commission.


Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Copyright © 2003 through 2009 by electro-music.com - Conditions Of Use