electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Jez Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Feeding 15 vac to a 7805 regulator
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Coriolis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Feeding 15 vac to a 7805 regulator
Subject description: ...it should be alright...right?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hep!
Before I toast my Paia mid2cv8 - the manual says to get a 12 vac transformer, but I can only get 15 vac. It goes through a 7805 regulator, and if I read the datasheet correctly, it should work fine with 15 vac.

But...should I heatsink the regulator? The manual says the circuit could draw around 200 mA, but I think I read somewhere to heatsink 7805's when drawing more than 100 mA, and won't it have to dissipate more power with a 15v supply, than with 12V?

C
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, here we go.

15 Volt, allow for 10% regulation of the transformer (it's output voltage being too high when no load is present). This results in 16.5 V. Allow for the mains voltage being 10% high, which results in 18.15 V. Which means the paek voltage out is 1.414 * 18.15 -> 25.7 Volt. (1.414 being the square root of 2)

This is smaller than the allowed 40 V in for the 7805, so that's good.

Then for the power dissipiation. Power is Voltage times Current. Over the regulator we have 25,7 - 5 = 22.7 V. The current is 0,2 A, so the dissipated power will be a bit under 5 W(att).

This is smaller than the allowed dissipation of 20.8 W (at 25 deg Celcius environment temperature, which is "room temperature"), so that's good as well, and it allows for some higher env. temps.

However the maximum dissipation in free air (no heatsink) is just 2 W, so you will need cooling, you'll even want good cooling -> a somewhat larger heatsink.

The good news is that the regulator has thermal self protection, when it gets too hot it will shut down it's output and not fry your circuit. So when your circuit stops working on a hot day it's a sign that a better heatsink is needed.

As a rule of thumb, when you touch the regulator with a wet finger the water should not start to boil off immediately.

Dragon's Lair

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a PAiA MidiCV8 in my dotcom system, I am running it off the dotcom +/-15v power supply, with no problems. Even after it's been on for a few hours the regulator on the midiCV8 is not even warm, which is good, since there is not a lot of room around the 7805 to put a heatsink on it.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My question answered both in theory and in practice! Cool
Jan, I have to say you've cleared up some things for me that have been puzzling me in the past, so thanks for that. And, apparently, you do a much better job of reading a datasheet than I do - I never got that much info out of it...

Also, it's good to hear from someone actually doing this in practice, with the same circuit, so thank you, Dave.

Great place, this...

C
Yorky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
As a rule of thumb, when you touch the regulator with a wet finger the water should not start to boil off immediately.

That's a rule of finger, not thumb

fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yorky wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:

ooh... poking around in live electronics with wet fingers... sounds like a recipe for frying (you, and/or your gear)...

b
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yorky wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:

Laughing

Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, I've got a couple of heatsinks - not that any of them fit in there, but still: How big a heatsink would I need to dissipate 5W?

Would something like this be enough?
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/images/products/ram/hs5w.jpg

C
Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One of those should work fine, besides, it's probably the only type that will fit in there, but before you go all out on heatsinks, hook up the power and see if it actually gets hot enough to warrant it.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dave, will do that.
Nice site you have there, btw... Cool

C
Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I'm working on some updates as we speak, I'm also looking at doing some DIY pages, but I have to get a better camera first, so I can take some close up pictures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: