electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Offering Downloads For Tunes
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
redskull

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Offering Downloads For Tunes Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to offer some of my back catalog of tunes for free download on the site. Perhaps someday if that is feasible, as I have a TON of tracks from way back that I do not intend to put onto released albums, but which are decent enough to garner some listens and attract some ears your way.
Another reason I would like to do this is because, well, quite frankly, some of my older tunes are taking up alot of space on my alloted web server, and I need the space for other things, and these aforementioned files are not linked to on my site...

-red

(i mean to offer this with no fees of any kind to myself or you guys, as my music is who I am, and not a soda-can label...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm trying to work out a good way to offer streaming music and downloads here. I've received sevaral off line emails from people reminding me that the site is incomplete without music. Of course, I'm open to suggestions.

How many MBytes of music would you want to provide?

Other than the issues of what software to use and how to make the user interface, there are issues of cost. The disk space and especially network bandwidth costs can mount up. Right now, the site isn't supporting itself from CD sales, but that's OK so far. I'm affraid to open the site to the world for free streaming music because we'd get swampped with lots of inappropriate music,and then go broke. (Your music is totally appropriate, IMHO). I can conceive of some sort of music review board, but I'd really hate to turn down someone.

So, the answer is yes, but I don't know exactly how to do it at this time.

Technically, I'm leaning towards using software that my friend, Cedric, has developed for Percussions.org, which is in French. I like the way he has done the musique page. MP3s and other media files are uploaded using the forum, phpBB2. This offers the advantage of giving the artist a place to describe the music, and a place for people to discuss the music. The musique page is just a listing of media files that were uploaded in the forum.

Any comments about this?

Does anybody have any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
redskull

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: suggestion Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I am willing to host any files for shoutcast radio stream (winamp radio station, like electro-music-radio or whatever you come up with). I have 2 gb of space per mo to use and I am using less than half a gig, and that will not change terribly much anytime soon. I can purchase a radio thing from shoutcast (server and required protocols), which is no bother for me, but I will have to wait until payday Laughing

just a feeler fer ya Twisted Evil

Also, I am soon switching my web host to one that gives 250 gb of space per month and 120 gb of traffic. I would like to try it then perhaps, if it all comes together...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can still offer streaming bandwidth but the most sensible way to use the servers I can offer space on would be to set up some programming streams.. like making some sort of monthly radio shows whích rotate monthly. Upping and administrating x amounts of single files will be too messy- The bandwidth I offer here is pretty extreme.. but Howard knows that already. Mr. Red Skull, if you have an ISP with an attitude you can risk getting banned if the files hosted in your serverspace are really getting hit by listeners.
redskull

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my isp is not the same as my web host, however both are..shall we say...accomodating *evil grin*

Twisted Evil

(cable modem isp)
(domain/web on the hosting bit)
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, thanks to both or you for your offers; very generous. I still need time to mull all this over...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: