electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Announcement: g2ools-1.2 released
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
qfingers

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Announcement: g2ools-1.2 released Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edit: I forgot to mention, the complete source code comes with it and it's released under the GPL. So if you can program and/or help fix bugs you can dig in.

Hey,

I'm creating a non-sticky post to announce the release of g2ools-1.2. This is a major upgrade with many bugs fixed, many new models and a new dx2g2 converter used to convert DX7 patches in a sysex file to G2 patches. The dx2g2 converter is an early stage of development because I would need tables to convert the LFO, and PitchEQ parameters more accurately. 3phase and I have worked really hard on this. The complexity of this program is incredible. So I'm sure there are bugs. Please post them to this thread.

I would like to thank 3phase for his countless hours of work on models and people who helped him solve some difficult problems. I also would like to thank BlueHell for his input on determining the CurrentNote section of the g2 patch files and the Blue to Pitch converter we use for various Mst/Slv connections. As well mosc for this web site. And you for keeping it alive.

There will be more updates as time progresses. I will probably add tools to the g2ools collection. So take it, test it, submit reports, cool patches, etc.

Enjoy,
qfingers

Anyways, here is the list of changes from 1.0:

Drumsynth decay
Morphs, Knobs, MIDICC missing parameters causing problems.
Multistage ADSR sustain L3 doesn't get set.
Smooth module switched off
Keyboard Note output should be using Pitch output.
Fix .pch parser when first line of cable section has area and first cable.
Fix EqPeak level for formant osc. (set to 100)
Better parsing problematic .pch files.
Inversion of Saw LFOSlvB.
LFO Master gets Keyboard cable connected twice.
Replace Unknown0x69 with CurrentNote section and parse/format funcs.
Use new table for Smooth module
Use new table for FMB input of Osc
MIDIGlobal uses ClkGen with Master Set
ClkGen uses ClkGen with Internal Set
Add new ClkGen Slv output model from 3phase.
CurrentNote section updated from NM1
Cleanup Mst/Slv LFOS using OscMaster, remove all junk stuff.
Fixed SineBank bug
Optimize mixer usage on pitch mod inputs.
OscSlvFM converted to a OscPhase
Fix CurrentNote crash. Too many notes caused a crash.
MultiEnv needs several models for various sustain modes.
NoteVelScal has KBT on, shouldbe off
ClkGen needs 1/96 connected, and no KBT
Fixed keyboard module processing to be per area (voice, fx)
Slave LFO connected to MIDIGlobal Clock need to be in Low
Glide and Phase tables missing first value
PhaseOsc missing output.
Delay Mod Amount / 2
Apply modtable to PitchMod of LFOs
Handle ClkRndGen color correctly.
4-1 Switch/1-4 Switch needs Mixc1-1A (with modtable) instead of LevAmp.
OSC Extra mixers not needed when PitchMod 100%
New RndClkGen model
NoteVelScal modifications
Add a -a flag to process all files reguardless of extension
Better FilterBank model.
LFO Needs extra mixer like OSC PitchMod
Add Mst/Slv LFO->OSC code (-48,-79,+33)
Blue to LFO Mst input model
LFO Slv to high mode when OSC is master
-3 Oct OscSlvFM button sets KBT Semi(-36),Freq(-36),Fac(-36),Part(-Cool
YAOM (Yet another overdrive model)
Forgot YAOM parameters for knobs and stuff
Finish initial dx2g2.py converter (update LFO,PitchEg,etc..)
FMB mod uses wrong table, should use smooth
Wave Wrapper needs table
Gain incease in FX Out to +6dB because of -6dB loss in FX-In
Clock divider model wrong
NoteVelScal without velocity is connected wrong
Spectral Osc Pitch mod knob is always closed
Clock generator sync output wrong
Make patch at max volume
MasterOsc PitchVar not set.
Mutli-Env T4 too long
Sequencer link output doesn't work the same as NM1
Drumsynth bend amount knob translate incorrectly
Drumsynth settings need mod table
Sequencer Length divider
Pan/X-Fade to lin mode
Blue to Grey fix for OscSlvFM and OscSineBank
LFO Master to Blue/Red input models
Logic Delays get wrong times
Morphs missing from SpectralOsc
Osc/ZeroCnt for OSC Mst input
PW mod morph handling for OscA,OscB,OscSlvB
Overdrive constant switched off, needs to be on
Overdrive labels: Drive should be Mod, State should be Drive
Overdrive initial knob values and morphrange wrong
OscSlvFM -3 oct doesn't always work, needs constant module
NoteScaler L always -5dB lower, actually 8db check was wrong.
Formant osc fixes, random needs rnd1, eq needs 10 db instaed of 11db
Pattern needs numbers remapped.
AHD-Env, Mod-ENV needs Attack,Decay,Release inputs inverted.
OscSlvFM -3Oct bug, wrong setting
All slaves need Kbt off by default
Current notes, all are added now
Redundant FMmod fine tune mixer removed
Overdrive Mod/Overdrive settings reversed.
Chan 5 on 8Mixer not set right.
FormanOsc needs audio rate logic
Shape for OscSlvB not set to 50%

Last edited by qfingers on Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quite a list Very Happy

Will check it out tomorrow, got some nice & weird patches collected already .... hah, and, finally, I bought me a new MIDI interface today, for the Classic (edirol um-3ex, seems to work pretty well, didn't loose connection sofar, and I have audio running at another USB port. This used to be troublesome)

Want me to swap the stickiness ?

qfingers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Quite a list Very Happy

Will check it out tomorrow, got some nice & weird patches collected already .... hah, and, finally, I bought me a new MIDI interface today, for the Classic (edirol um-3ex, seems to work pretty well, didn't loose connection sofar, and I have audio running at another USB port. This used to be troublesome)

No. I think the version announcements are good for bug reports. And the sticky is good for the release and questions about running it. Then I can create a new thread for a new version.

q
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Quite a list Very Happy

Be sure and post how well the Edirol Midi int. works with the NM!
If I'm not mistaken, this may be the first time anyone (here) has used it with the NM. Typically it's been the midiman 2*2 or others.
I haven't had any problems with the 2*2, but then I don't think I push it as hard as others would. The USB problemd I had in the past were because of a bad/loose USB connection on my old Dell laptop and/or a cheap USB hub.
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally Smile
The Uplink for the NM1 reaches a state where it can handle many grey signal situation and is tuned for sonical match with the NM1..
So its a real tool now that allows it to patch on the NM1 and use your work on the G2 without major sonical losses...

MAny bugs were eliminated.. some are probably left to be found...
And they should be found soon.
by the nature of a modular system there are actually no bugs allowed because any little module or setting can play a major role in a specific patch. Little things cause little sonical mismatches that can build up in a patch.
NM1 and G2 are able to sound the same in most areas..
If we come along patches that sound more than slightly different we are close to bugs..either in the Converter..or the G2 or NM1 itself.
The Drumsynth on the G2 for example has noisy bleed thru in its oscillators..it just cant sound the same..but this is a G2 bug for example.

Would be good if others that have booth machines go on the bug hunt aswell...At this level 1:1 soundcomparison between NM1 and G2 are in most cases the only way to find bugs. And i got a bit blind because you start overseeing them when you have your personal ways cleaned..
Also what appears as a acceptable mismatch in my testpatches might be unacceptable in others and therefor some models maybe need finetuning... The new overdrive model for example...its expensive..sounds close to the NM1 version... but makes things a little louder.. But was the closest match i was able to achive...
because of internal feedback loops not so easy to just turn it a bit down in volume...might be optimized at a later point..but maybe it don't hurts anyway.. or somebody comes up with a better model..but be warned... it is a hard nut.

known but not addressed bugs sofar...

-morphs on switches not handled properly ( the G2 cant scale them) need replacement models

-morphs on keyquantizers not translated ( but fixed so that patches pass the translation)

-sub lfo as master of oscillators run out of keyrange(maybe unsolveable)

-link output on oneshoot sequencers with >16 steps needs to be simulated

-additional models for multistage envelopes that make good use of the T5 stage of the NM1 need to be implemented...( this is almost done just didn't had priority because its a rarely used feature... if anybody finds example patches that really need the 5th stage please post a link here)

-fixed filterbank don't matches sonical or from bandcount... (but actually makes patches sound better to pay for that limitation)

-tuned delaytimes have different tuning on G2, ( probably something that needs handtweaking by the user)

-Delay modulations sometimes need limiter aplied to avoid overshoots into ranges the NM1 don't allows...planed but not implemented yet

- certain delaytimes need to be set with external modules to get them wright... planed but not implemented yet

-12db multi filter BP gets faster feed up in feedback loops

So... I made this list to show areas we know where patches can get sonical mismatches..

that also helps to repair them by hand.. when it goes wrong or makes weard sounds check for morphs on switches and internal feedbacks that might need to be reduced. the multi output filter behaves most critical in this area.

If the mentioned points are not the reason for a sonical missmatch you are probably about finding a yet unknown bug...

please post your findings to help to get this ready to make the run on the whole lib in one go.

This version is pretty qualified to do so already but by the extreme complexity of the system i would be very surprised if there are no bugs left...

So find them !
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers,

Thanks again for your effort in another release. You rock!

I have a request for a future version/application for g2ootls.

Create an application where you could apply midi cc and panel assignments for specific modules based on some template.

The UI would need to have a grid representing the rows and columns with module names in them. you select one and see a property box which shows the controls & can map them to midi cc's (based on a template for this module). you have another grid for assigning the module to panel (parameter page and column).

The midi and panel assignments would be based on templates that you would have to create.

Example

a patch has a Nord Filter. the template has midi assign for cutoff res and mod depth knobs. hitting midi assign assigns these knobs to midi (and if these assignments already occur in the patch, the previous ones are lost. the template has a single 8 knob assignment for the panel (where cutoff is 1st knob, res is 2nd, env is 3rd and keytrack is knob 4). the OscA has a template with .... and so on.

Imagine being able to assign these to your patches and always have a consistent midi and knob assignment. this would make it easier for performance and midi recording purposes.

your thoughts?
/Dasz
qfingers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
qfingers,

Thanks again for your effort in another release. You rock!

I have a request for a future version/application for g2ootls.

Create an application where you could apply midi cc and panel assignments for specific modules based on some template.

The UI would need to have a grid representing the rows and columns with module names in them. you select one and see a property box which shows the controls & can map them to midi cc's (based on a template for this module). you have another grid for assigning the module to panel (parameter page and column).

The midi and panel assignments would be based on templates that you would have to create.

Example

a patch has a Nord Filter. the template has midi assign for cutoff res and mod depth knobs. hitting midi assign assigns these knobs to midi (and if these assignments already occur in the patch, the previous ones are lost. the template has a single 8 knob assignment for the panel (where cutoff is 1st knob, res is 2nd, env is 3rd and keytrack is knob 4). the OscA has a template with .... and so on.

Imagine being able to assign these to your patches and always have a consistent midi and knob assignment. this would make it easier for performance and midi recording purposes.

your thoughts?
/Dasz

This sounds interesting. I would prefer to make it similar to the nm2g2, command-line based. Then it can process multiple patches in one swoop. I don't like doing GUIs for these types of tools because you would run into the same problems as the current editor. Case in point: can't you already do that in the G2 editor?

I have some ideas about configuring the nm2g2 converter on a per-patch or per-directory basis. This enables tweaks of the patches to be maintained and still run the converter when it's updated with more optimizations or models.

With that said, you would need a file that would define the "generic" setup that you could run against the patches you want changed. You would have to disambiguate between the filters you want knobs, morphs, and midiccs and the filters you don't so that would be something that has to be resolved either by location or named filter. The same goes for other modules as well.

Currently there are 3 new requested applications:

1. Setting the sequence modules values from a MIDI file.
2. Creating a morph setup between 2 variations in a patch.
3. A knob/morph/midicc patch configurator.

I'm sure there are many more. I will add this to my future possibilities list.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: GUI Launcher for G2ools- coming soon! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:

For those of you who don't like using the command line, I've made a simple
Python wrapper application to call the g2ools utilities.

It does not add/remove or change any of the functionality already in G2ools. It just makes it easier to invoke the program, and pass arguments to it.

It still needs a little bit of work, but here's a quick preview.

Matt- do you have any problem with removing some of the line feeds
in between each line output, in order to see more of the output in one glance?

guiLauncher.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.29 KB
 Viewed:  16111 Time(s)

guiLauncher.jpg

guiLauncher2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29 KB
 Viewed:  16112 Time(s)

guiLauncher2.jpg

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:

This sounds interesting. I would prefer to make it similar to the nm2g2, command-line based. Then it can process multiple patches in one swoop. I don't like doing GUIs for these types of tools because you would run into the same problems as the current editor. Case in point: can't you already do that in the G2 editor?

You wouldn't need to do a gui for it. Someone else could do it I'm sure ...
Yes, you can already do this in the editor, but it is manual labour and involves multiple right clicks and you have to ensure it is consistent.

Quote:

With that said, you would need a file that would define the "generic" setup that you could run against the patches you want changed. You would have to disambiguate between the filters you want knobs, morphs, and midiccs and the filters you don't so that would be something that has to be resolved either by location or named filter. The same goes for other modules as well.

One could use a template pch2 which has the midi and panel assigns already preconfigured as well as panel assignments for some set of modules. Then your command line utility would apply the cc and panel assigns from one patch to another patch.

your thoughts?
/Dasz

Last edited by dasz on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
qfingers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: GUI Launcher for G2ools- coming soon! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
qfingers wrote:

Matt- do you have any problem with removing some of the line feeds
in between each line output, in order to see more of the output in one glance?

I think I'm going to revert to the python logging objects. That way I can have multiple levels of logging and allow a log level to define how much output you want to see. I should have done it a while ago. I've been too busy getting this bad boy to do what it was meant to do: convert patches. But I'll add this to my TODO list. It's something that I feel is needed. It should go in pretty easy. But you are going to have to learn the API for the python logging module.

q
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GUI Launcher for G2ools- coming soon! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:

But you are going to have to learn the API for the python logging module.
q

Shouldn't be a problem. We've already extended the logging module at work, to the point I can't tell which functionality is original, and which is new ;-0

Although- I don't see why this would affect me- I'm just grabbing what you throw out to the screen.
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So we still need a mac gui guy aswell...
with 3 d graphical animations to visualize the conversion process with a little potpuri soundtrack that features simulations from various stages of the conversion process...
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

qfingers wrote:

Currently there are 3 new requested applications:

1. Setting the sequence modules values from a MIDI file.
2. Creating a morph setup between 2 variations in a patch.
3. A knob/morph/midicc patch configurator.

I'm sure there are many more. I will add this to my future possibilities list.

to 1) this has the practical problem of the g2 modules dont featuring gate time sequencing...so in which sequencer you want to apply the sequence? in what time frame?...just notes? or velocity either?
I think this only would make sense when it comes togetehr with a buildingblock that fits to that demands..otherwise you just have note informations... and to fill on 16 step sequencer with note information...
i dont know if i would prefer to open a command window for that and reload the patch or if i would just set the sequencer in record mode and type them in on the keyboard...
This would only make sense to me if the package of data that gets trasfered to the G2 is work to be put in by hand.
So a real in ideal polyphonic sequence with gatetime, pitch,velociy and the modwheel for at least 4 bars... thats a complete patch
A special transfer patch...
you just copy the data you need from there...
Sequencer needs to be layout like in a 303..so pitches get written in an own sequencer one by one while only gatetimes need to be written on the timeline... pitches maybe can be written for 3 voices...this would be quite a bunch of sequencers

Quite some hazzle...

In my opinion this only would make sense in a 4 voice package with additonal controlers..
you would have one master sequencer where you would just copy the parts you need into other patches or you use that sequence to control other slots or external gear...

To do reassonable sequencing on the G2 you allways have to spend one slot
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
So we still need a mac gui guy aswell...
with 3 d graphical animations to visualize the conversion process with a little potpuri soundtrack that features simulations from various stages of the conversion process...

This gui is cross-platform, so it will work on any on the MAc,Linux, and many others, out of the box
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool..once you dont sit in the second row with a mac Wink

would be cool if you could select the possible flags from the guy...
the function to convert everything in a folder is important on macs where patches dont get the .pch ending remotly...

can you select folders from the selector window?
qfingers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: GUI Launcher for G2ools- coming soon! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
qfingers wrote:

But you are going to have to learn the API for the python logging module.
q

Shouldn't be a problem. We've already extended the logging module at work, to the point I can't tell which functionality is original, and which is new ;-0

Although- I don't see why this would affect me- I'm just grabbing what you throw out to the screen.

Because you can capture my output from the logging setup. You instance an object that captures the log output and you have what you need. Plus I would use several levels of logging so you can see no output all the way upto debugging output. Then you (or the user) can choose the level of output.

q
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
cool..once you dont sit in the second row with a mac Wink

would be cool if you could select the possible flags from the guy...
the function to convert everything in a folder is important on macs where patches dont get the .pch ending remotly...

can you select folders from the selector window?

not sure what you mean by patches don't get the .pch ending remotely
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when you do patches with the mac editor it saves them without visible .pch extension..its just the icon... old apple style..you ..your mouse..and the icons...
That actually dont gets recognized by nm2g2.
But there is a flag with that you can force it to convert any file in a folder.
Pretty radikal command but its very usefull for apple users
cappy2112

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
when you do patches with the mac editor it saves them without visible .pch extension..its just the icon... old apple style..you ..your mouse..and the icons...
That actually dont gets recognized by nm2g2.
But there is a flag with that you can force it to convert any file in a folder.
Pretty radikal command but its very usefull for apple users

It probably makes better sense for the user to add the .pch extension, before running g2ools. I think the app shouldn't have any os-specific responsibilities, unless there is no way around a problem.

Matt- What do you think ?
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its not os specific its nordmodular specific...nord modulars on macs behaved that way..thats just a fact.
there is no reason to cause misscomfort for all apple users just because you dont like to do something os related... Its easy to tell the converter to just convert what you give it...
cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
. Its easy to tell the converter to just convert what you give it...

The gui is going to do just that. Whatever the user would normally enter on the cmd line is still going to be passed from the gui.

If the user typed

./nm2g2 Arp2600.pch

the gui will pass Arp2600.pch to the converter.

If the user typed
./nm2g2 *.pch

the gui will also just pass *.pch along to the converter.

There will probably be an edit text box where the user can specify the arguments and cmd line switches.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
Whatever the user would normally enter on the cmd line is still going to be passed from the gui.

Was hoping to see an option for recursive directory procesing in the gui Very Happy

cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:
Whatever the user would normally enter on the cmd line is still going to be passed from the gui.

Was hoping to see an option for recursive directory procesing in the gui Very Happy

Matt put a cmd line switch in the converter for this, but it's not implemented yet. I suppose the gui could intercept it. That shouldn't be a problem. Sven suggested something for the Mac also.
We just need to iron out what features should be handled by the gui, and which by the converter. I'm sure we can get all of this handled one way or another.

The recursive option as it's been on my mind for a long time.
Bill Gates didn't give us the awesome 'find' unix utility.
(but there are W32 ports of all the unix utils, and I don't mean Cygwin!!)

I guess if there is no recursive solution, one could be converting 27000+ patches, until the G3 comes out, and then Matt would have to re-write his converter again Smile

Last edited by cappy2112 on Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
until the G3 comes out

Right, so that is the reason the C3 had to be renamed into C1, it would be too confusing to have both a G3 and a C3 Very Happy

I think a recursion option could best be put in the cmd line tool, and then just have a checkable thingy in the gui for it.

cappy2112

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:
until the G3 comes out

Right, so that is the reason the C3 had to be renamed into C1, it would be too confusing to have both a G3 and a C3 Very Happy

I think a recursion option could best be put in the cmd line tool, and then just have a checkable thingy in the gui for it.

Well, Apple owns copyrights to the G4 & G5, so we will be waiting a long time now for a G2- successor Sad
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: