electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
what is space music
Page 3 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're probably right, the Arp 2500 is probably a rarer bird than the Moog 3C.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
morbius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
You're probably right, the Arp 2500 is probably a rarer bird than the Moog 3C.

Ya know... I'd be interested in hearing from people who have actually owned, or used the 2500 (enough to be familiar with all of ARP's modules).... which module they like the most... and maybe, why?

Mine is the Mix-Sequencer. Why? Because it could be used for so many purposes. A VC sequencer; a VC mixer; a VC preset voltage selector (preset controller)... and probably more that I just don't remember.

morbius001a@yahoo.com
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I never have seen one in the flesh. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

morbius wrote:
Back then, very few people knew anything about synthesizers... some couldn't spell it (my mother couldn't pronounce it)... and the Moog 2-P had all of it's patch-points numbered with a label-maker. The VP who had been the only one to use it, didn't know any theory... it was a trial & error thing, so he numbered all of the jacks... an effort to notate his patches.

Very Happy

Trivia: ( from an interview with Warren Cann - from the Ultravox website )

Quote:
What we discovered was that Brian ( Eno ) was—at that time—actually quite naïve in the area of technical expertise. It was not his forté. In the first days in the studio together (Brian came in after we’d already recorded the bulk of the material), I remember looking at his Mini-Moog synthesizer. It was the first one I’d ever gotten my hands on and he had all these little pieces of tape stuck by the keys with the names of the notes written on them, plus little pictures stuck on adjacent to some of the control knobs.
I pointed to a cute picture of a sheep and asked, “What’s that mean?” He replied, “Well, I don’t know what that knob does but, when I turn it, it makes the sound ‘wooly,’ so the picture of the sheep (sheep...wool...get it?) reminds me....” I was quite taken aback. I didn’t know what to say to that! I think I just nodded and said, “Umm... good idea!”

Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
morbius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wOw. That's funny.

My mother, bless her.... the first time I showed her a photo of a Moog, and told her that's what I was working on... she said "Oh... you're a telephone operator?".

In retrospect, I probably just should have said "yeah". It would have saved a whole lotta explainin'.

morbius001a@yahoo.com
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

morbius wrote:

My mother, bless her.... the first time I showed her a photo of a Moog, and told her that's what I was working on... she said "Oh... you're a telephone operator?".

In retrospect, I probably just should have said "yeah". It would have saved a whole lotta explainin'.

mine when she saw my vibraphone thought it was some kind of clothes dryer Shocked of course my answer too should have been: "yeah" Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
rbedgar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Space Music
Subject description: first usage
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The first time I heard the phrase "space music" used was in an interview with (then Jim) Roger McGuinn, shortly after the Byrds released "8 Miles High". He told the interviewer that they were going to record some even more out-there stuff, and he called it "space music". Might have mentioned Stockhausen, I don't remember specifically.

Well, the next thing the Byrds did was sack David Crosby and bring on Clarence White, and recorded "Sweethearts of the Rodeo". The guy went retro on us, and never returned.

I used to wonder, at what point in a career does someone "fold back' on themselves, and do what they started doing, instead of forcing the frame...well, anyway, this was Mcguinn's.

The present day composer refuses to sleep...
RemixRick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Thanks seraph for turning me onto Tony Gerber's site Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fantastic internet radio. I'm enjoying his songs very much.

I wonder how we can get space music performances started at our Planetarium? I wouldn't mind being the concert promoter but I'd need to see it done in a few other places first.

Also would be cool to do a space music workshop at EM 2007. I hope I wont get flamed for double posting when I post this idea to their thread.

Peace ... RR
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks seraph for turning me onto Tony Gerber's site Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RemixRick wrote:
Thanks seraph for turning me onto Tony Gerber's site

gee...I had to go back to the first page of this thread to understand what you were talking about Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh... those links...

http://www.spaceagepop.com/

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc writes (regarding an arp 2500)
Quote:
I never have seen one in the flesh.

ah howard....i was about to say you were mistaken...but i had my years wrong. eric had a 2500 at the 2004 (first) analog heaven northeast...but you weren't there that year Sad

deknow
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks seraph for turning me onto Tony Gerber's site Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RemixRick wrote:
I wonder how we can get space music performances started at our Planetarium? I wouldn't mind being the concert promoter but I'd need to see it done in a few other places first.

What planetarium are you referring to?
I've played live space music at the Fels Planetarium in Philadelphia (with Howard, Mark Jenkins, and Orbital Decay) and at the Fiske Planetarium in Boulder (With MindSpiral). In my view, they are the best places to play space music! But it seems difficult to get them to warm up to the idea of live music.
deknow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...our band, the lothars, has played at a couple of them. once, at a small planetarium in fitchburg, ma with some other droney rock bands, and once at the one in chicago...that one we played in the lobby for a fancy party, not in the dome itself.

as greg says, it is one of the best venues...something about the dark, projections, and not having the audience sitting in neat rows makes it quite unique.

remember kiddies...the best seat in a planetarium (for seeing the projections) is in the back row!

deknow
RemixRick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We have several planetariums in the DC/Baltimore/Philadelphia corridor. I haven't been to one in years so I don't remember which is which in terms of layout and performer-friendliness.

Does anyone remember Laserium shows?

If you're interested in pursuing a regular gig or an East Coast tour of the planetariums, I would be interested in promoting it. If not, I might have a go at it with recorded music. Let's talk by phone sometime. PM me for my phone number if you'd like to talk.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing
Some 25 years ago I really wanted to do concerts in a planetarium.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
deknow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'd be interested in hearing from people who have actually owned, or used the 2500 (enough to be familiar with all of ARP's modules).... which module they like the most... and maybe, why?

morbius,

you might try to ask this on analog heaven if you are really interested. i know at least one member who had a large 2500 system, and decided to sell most of it...i know he kept the modules (one "wing" worth) that he really wanted (he has gobs of other modular stuff to interface with it...i'm sure a great deal of thought went into what he kept.

deknow
mtvic

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Consulted the wiki on this one 'study'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_music
m

RemixRick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Laughing

Are u saying that I'm 25 years too late? Or that you've been waiting 25 years for me to come along? Wink I was rather hoping to be on the leading edge of a resurgence. But if you think it is a bad idea, please say so.

I'd be interested in other ideas for venues for performing space music and other forms of non-dance electronic music (besides E-M 2007 of course). Especially something with a larger seating capacity.

Even without the stars, planetariums seem like a natural venue for relaxing and floating away. A good VJ, relaxing tunes, and, optionally, some pre-concert lubrication in the parking lot and voila ... something different to do on a weekend night. I wonder if there is an audience for this?
deknow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi rick,

well, i think it's probably naive to think that it's easy to get a large audience for this kind of thing...philly seems to have more of it than most places, but i haven't spent much time there outside of the em events (but i know there are several others).

we have had pretty good luck doing "salon" type events in our home, and it's a lot less disconcerting to have a small audience in your home than at a club that wants to sell booze, or any larger venue that might look/feel empty....the other advantage is that lubrication can be done at the party rather than the parking lot. also, i think that many of our non-musician friends show up for the socal aspect and the food (it's much easier to deal with food at home than at a regular venue of any kind). the only downside is that, imho, a party is a party first, and a concert second...some artists find this annoying, as they think everyone should be paying attention rather than gabbing and eating. we've had up to 9-10 folks jamming at once _with_ vj projections in our rather small apartment. ..this also brings up another "party point", which is, in a party situation, if it's a jam session, i'm reluctant to be discriminating about who plays what...we've also done more "concert" type things with individual sets, and that works better if you are putting the music first...but you still have the gabbing factor.

...also, i sent you a pm about planetarium stuff.

deknow
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RemixRick wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
Laughing

Are u saying that I'm 25 years too late? Or that you've been waiting 25 years for me to come along? Wink I was rather hoping to be on the leading edge of a resurgence. But if you think it is a bad idea, please say so.

I haven´t thought about it since like 25 years ago or so. Very Happy

Of course it´s a good idea. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
RemixRick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I appreciate your comments and feedback. Audiences have to be nurtured and grown. That's one of the jobs of the promoter. To do it on a small budget, the promoter must love the music and enjoy sharing it and unsigned artists with the public. That's me.

BTW, I'm not partial to planetariums, I'm just thinking they are the natural place to start. Both to reach some of the potential listeners, and (warning pun ahead), to project the right image. Holding a weekly event for a year aught to build up a core audience and a sizable mailing list. Bi-weekly if we alternate between 2 planetariums.

A funky old movie theatre would be a lower cost venue. Might not be hard to move a loyal audience from a planetarium to a movie theatre. But first we have to build the loyal audience.

Please keep the info. and advice coming. Perhaps we should start a fresh thread for this. Call it the Space Music Performance Project or something.
Page 3 of 3 [71 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: