electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » g2ools utilities
nm2g2 converter and the NM1 User Lib...
Page 3 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No probs at all. I can set up something tomorrow.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Probably it could share its folder with the G2 patch archive, I can already upload there, I can run the converter as well & I promised Howard to be cooperative Very Happy

Good idea ?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

okdokey.. then you handle the lot.. Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spotted PC cycling useless, better wake it. Will follow Afro, unless brake hit. More later. Stop.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You must enter a message when posting. Evil or Very Mad

(edit: picture lost)

Last edited by blue hell on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
And the other way around as well, people having the Classic only don't have much use probably for the G2 conversion.

exept that they can listen to patches with the demo g2 software
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:
And the other way around as well, people having the Classic only don't have much use probably for the G2 conversion.

exept that they can listen to patches with the demo g2 software

Sven, you should see me right now, smiling from ear to eye for the nice twists you come up with at times. I love you for that, honestly.

I'll first post a full mixed version (the computer is working right now), as delivered by by g2ools. Then, when and once I feel like it and/or you and/or Matt indiindicate that the time is right, I'll make a G2 only version as well, in addition to the mixed one, is that OK with you ? OK with all, I mean, ?

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damnit, someone hit the brake

Pressed ^C, will do it for 1.3 now.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is definitely not something to do very often, the total conversion, it needs many cycles and repeatedly so, seemingly or something. Time to get some sleep, hope it's done after that.
3phase

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1.3 will be abble to translate many patches that dont translate propperly now... so its good enough for a first run on the lib...

biggest problem in the moment are morphs on switches and that patches can become too big...

what can be optimized in the next version..but..
that next version will need a bit longer and it would be good if all bugs are found up to that optimisation phase..otherwise they probably stay in there forever because such a freeware projekt cant be serviced like a comercial product...
We have found many little and big bugs and tweaks and they are getting hard to find but duo the complexity of the item there must be some more...
You would have to test any module with any morph to ensure that there are no bugs...too much for one person..especially because some things can sneak in again as it happened with V1.2...

So its good to have the patches together up to that point to encourage people that have booth machines report back on bad conversions..
I hope some will do so...
After that period i am ok with having an own thread for each patch if that is what you like to have... just for the moment a public accessible lib with both formats in the same folder would be helpfull...
And probably also usefull allready because people also could point to good ones that can be listed in a best of cattegory later...
So as earlier its accesible as better..And version 1.3 that should be there very soon is defenetly qualified to do the first run.. at least what i can say i had a succesfull run on all patches i tried today... no 100% guaranty possible with just one beta tester but the heavies like wrong lfo rates..missing grey blue handling wrong level settings are ironed out in most areas... at least on my general test patches it went all fine...
But i cant ensure that there are no conflicts in any configuration..
The lib itself is a good random source for any eventuallity a patch can have... A realworld test..but its to big to be browsed by one person..
all bugs i found today was related to switches and missing limiters on delay modulations... szise of cause..buts much easier to reduce a patch than building it by hand...
Most of the applied models are not self optimizing yet..so an emulation of the Nm1 pulsewidth mod can be removed when the PW mod input is down...for example.. a thing that will happen automatical at one point.
Certain areas have this optimisations allready ..others are kept simple to dont risk new bugs in working areas..

Or AD enevlopes can be replaced with ADSR´s..but there you have to set the release time one tick longer than the decay to reduce the level loss on short triggers (like internal sequencing) to "only" 1,7 db...

1,7 db in a feedback patch can be too much..so even when this can be done by the program automatical its discussable if this should be a default setting...

other safers are logic modules and chained mixer modules..the G2 offers safing possebilitys there..

but.. be carefull..the conversion forces now blue mixers to stay blue... they might get red when you remove modules..

So first step before altering a patch is to look for blue mixers that get red cables..and make them stable by adding note quantizers if necessary...
often it is necessary because a red signal in a blue mixer usually is fm modulation that is sensible to resolution. I asked for a flag in future update to set these note quantizers automatical... but for now that was the easiest and most resource safing fix.

Would be cool if a future update of the G2 allows to set that permanently for modules because its a sound design tool as we have seen in your noodle patch you posted lately.

1.3 is translating this patch much better allready..but because the delay line optimisation is not done yet ist not as good as my manual fix yet...
a asymetric limiter set on 50 needs to be before the delaytime mods on wild patches to keep delaytimes within the range that is possible on the Nm1... or on chained delay lines that have even numbers you can reduce them by factor 2 and have the mod on twice the converters = original Nm1 value...

Because the complexity of the different delay line questions this point was at the end of the list and still needs to be implemented..
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
hope it's done after that.

Shocked almost 12 hours later it's still not done.

But I'm sure it will get there, am I, hmm well at least it runs on a laptop, so it should survive a power outage.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, it's done, but unfortuanately it's unzippable as there are too many files.

I'm going to make a pch2 only version.

moorv.png
 Description:
end of vroom ...
 Filesize:  6.44 KB
 Viewed:  580 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

moorv.png

Last edited by blue hell on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WHy not create an ISO volume, throw the files in there ... then zip the ISO file?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
WHy not create an ISO volume, throw the files in there ... then zip the ISO file?

Because I don't know how to do that ... Laughing

I'll peek around a bit in my CD burner stuff.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, it's a bit clumsy, but I seem to be able to make an ISO image by burning the lot onto a CD and the extract the CD as an ISO image. I have, to my knowldge, no software to do it directly.

Now I wonder ... I can zip it and beam it up, but then people will end up with an ISO that they'll have to burn to a CD first before it is usable. How practical is this ?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh.. well.. it all depends..

If you are on a PC, then chances are you haven´t been playing much around with disk images / volume files. This is a perfectly valid way to transport files and it´s easy too. You don´t have to burn the file. It will do just fine to mount the volume file. Doesn´t XP come with at least some basic disk/volume file tools Shocked

Also, you should have tools there somewhere to simply morph a folder to ISO file directly.. or create an empty rewriteable ISO volume file and then mount it and throw batches of files into it.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
How practical is this ?

Well, if only OS X heads will be able to handle this, then I guess this was a really bad idea. But frankly, is handling of disk image files really seen as a messy affair on the PC? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't know about that Stein ... XP is a bit retarded you know, like when you do del *.pch /S it will happily delete all *.pch2 files just as well Shocked (where of course the DIR command does it OK, bright tooling)

Anyway, I'm beaming up the zipped ISO now and will see if I can find out about how such could be made workable under XP. Meanwhile I'll construct a G2 only and a classic only zip as well, damn it it might even have to write my own del command for that ... oh wait I have cygwin, maybe that'll do it OK.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see why XP is the desired OS for surgical warfare Shocked

Anyways, I´m pretty sure there must be some free tools out there for handling disk images and such on XP.

I expect the guys to complain if the ISO idea was a bad one. Anyone? Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, 350 MB isn't all that much. We should probably put this on the existing nm-archives site; it'll probably end up there anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Ok, it's done, but unfortuanately it's unzippable as there are too many files.

I'm going to make a pch2 only version.

I ve a zip file with the G2 and nm1 pazches in it here...qfinger made it...

I am on a mac..and i guess he is running under linux...

its 181 MB zipped and around 350 unzipped
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
its 181 MB zipped and around 350 unzipped

Here it is about 600 MB unzipped (for the combined classic/g2 tree), so apparently not all patches are in it.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, there are a lot of files that are not patches in it. pff, what a mess.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mess is better served with pesto. Kinda saves the day.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
qfingers

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Ok, there are a lot of files that are not patches in it. pff, what a mess.

I took the collection and removed the catagorized patches as they are duplicates within the author directories. I'm going to eventually write a script to use the patches in the categories to build a table or html page of links to the author directories. It's a waste to have 2 exact patches in 2 different locations. So I'm only dealing with the 011_Patches subdirectory. I've updated all < version 3 patches to version 3 and removed all corrupted unfixable patches. There are only 24 patches out of 30000 that either crashed the editor when loading or the editor posted an error message.

BlueHell if you want access to my server with the latest collection, PM me and I'll set you up an account to grab the files. I have it password protected to decrease my bandwidth usage.

Let me know.

q
Page 3 of 4 [85 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » g2ools utilities
Jump to: