electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Super Klee Sequencer
Page 16 of 27 [659 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
sneakthief

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lack of interest - are you kidding? this thread is already 16 pages long with over 16636 views Cool

as much fun as i had rigging an experimenter's pcb for my twin-sn, i'll gladly do a stripboard (or three).

i think it's safe to say that there are more than a few people who are waiting for superklee developments with great anticipation!

keep up the good work, uncle krunkus.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be honest, I'm really only interested in the music others might create with it. If anybody wants to make money with it, whether by selling boards, kits, or completed Klee, fine by me; I expect nothing in return. Besides, I think Uncle K put more work into it than I did (my part was the fun part).

Cheers,
Scott
The Alison Project

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would also buy pre-done stripboards for your Dimension C project hint hint, or full component kits.

chris
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't mean there was a lack of interest in the topic! Rolling Eyes Just that I couldn't imagine a great many people getting interested in half populated stripboards. Very Happy
I'll keep an eye on how many of you seem keen, but remember, I'm doing these layouts, then the next priority is to finish the Sorcerer, then I'm starting on the DimC and DM-2. So don't tell your Granny that her Super Klee will be finished for Easter just yet. Laughing

sneakthief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
I didn't mean there was a lack of interest in the topic! Rolling Eyes

My good man, 'twas merely an inference based on the amount of interest Wink

I think it's safe to say that not everyone wants to make their own PCB or stripboard and would jump at the chance of you providing some!

Might I add that most of us modular folk are a relatively patient bunch - so no big rush.

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sneakthief wrote:
Might I add that most of us modular folk are a relatively patient bunch - so no big rush.

or always busy with a bunch of projects... Wink

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Klee Stripboard Layouts
Subject description: Last updated 25-1-07
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay,
here are the three layouts as they stand at the moment.
If you're keen to get started on this I'd begin with board 1. It's been checked, double checked, and tweaked at least three times. So has board 2, but board 3 has not even been visually checked yet.

The designators reflect which schem the component can be found on, so: -
XX = Clock & Load
2XX = Stage Encoder
3XX = Step Decoder
4XX = Max Voltage Scaler (Option 2)
5XX = Voltage Output (Enhanced)
6XX = Gate Trigger Bus
Where XX is the original designator on the schem.

I'll update this post over the next week or two once board 3 gets checked. I'll also include how many links are on each board etc. and any other building hints and clarifications which are requested. I just wanted to post the set tonight so I could start bathing in the glory! Cool

The attached zip has been updated as of 25-1-07. Board 3 checked, link details added.

Klee Stripboards.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Klee Stripboards.zip
 Filesize:  793.89 KB
 Downloaded:  414 Time(s)

Last edited by Uncle Krunkus on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:04 am; edited 2 times in total
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hullo Unka Krunkus,

I'm not very familiar with the stripboard thing, so I wonder if you could answer a couple of questions.

1) Is the kind of board that you used for the Klee the same as what Mouser sells as the 854-ST3U ( http://www.mouser.com/catalog/628/1823.pdf )?

2) Are the cuts the spots marked in Yellow and Green on the Klee (cs) diagrams?

BTW, thanks for the work you've put into this. king The thought of laying this one out myself was really intimidating.

Romeo

[Edit by Blue Hell : made link clickable by adding spaces around it]
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoa Shocked ! Those are pricy. Does anyone know of a cheaper source for these sized boards? I've never stripboarded, but really want to try this project and figure It's a good excuse to give it a go. Also is there a special tool for making the track separations?
-justin
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't find what I'd call standard stripboard anywhere on the mouser site. Man that's weird! To me, an electronics supplier who doesn't have stock standard stripboard would be like a hardware shop that doesn't sell screwdrivers!

click here

That's where I get mine. Should be about US$7 for the 100*300mm one, or something similar. It has continuous strips that run the full length of the board.

vtl5c3 - The grey spots on the CS side are the solder points. They match up with the component leads going through from the other pic. The cuts are the yellow breaks in the "copper" coloured tracks. The only green parts on the drawings are 4 and 8 pin connectors for the ribbon cables which go between the boards, and the boards and the front panel.

goodrevdoc - There is a special tool for cutting the tracks, but I use a 3mm drill bit in a pin vice. Just give it one or two turns, and the track should be broken. Don't go right through! and check them as you go.

It's a good idea when you're starting off to cut the tracks between the IC sockets, and solder the IC sockets in, before continuing on with the track cutting. That gives you some solid landmarks to get your bearings from, make sure the board is up the right way, etc.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unca K,

You'd be shocked. For some unexplained reason, in the US stripboard/Veroboard is an exotic commodity that ranks right up there with curdled cream and frogskin bikinis. It is very hard to locate. Google Stripboard or Veroboard, and you'll see a lot of UK/Aussie/Euro hits, but very few US hits.

Be that as it may, I've procured it from the following places:

http://www.futurlec.com/ProtoBoards.shtml

(Largest Futurlec too small?)

In Canada:

http://www.rpelectronics.com/

(Expensive).

I found some somewhere at some time here in the US, but can't remember where it was. Be that as it may, I've never tried this, but I've got a feeling it just may work:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/ECS-4/455/SOLDERABLE_PERF_BOARD,_LINE_PATTERN_.html

I'll try to recall where I got the other stuff - it was an opportunistic "I wonder if that stuff is any good" purchase along with some other stuff, now I've totally forgotten where I got it.

Cheers,
Scott
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bizarre, truly bizarre!
It's like looking into a time machine set for the 1800's! Next thing you'll be telling me the USA still use imperial measurements, or some other crazy talk!! Shocked

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Next thing you'll be telling me the USA still use imperial measurements, or some other crazy talk!!

That is entirely due to the political power of the foot long hot dog consortium.

Edit: And would "Pulp Fiction" be "Pulp Fiction" without the "quarter pounder with cheese" conversation? ("Hey, check out the brain on Brad").

Cheerios,
Scott
Fidgit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uncle: is there a parts list which is alligned to your stripboards (or vice versa)? maybe somewhere else on these 16 pages... Rolling Eyes
tnx
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fidgit wrote:
maybe somewhere else on these 16 pages... Rolling Eyes

Try right at the beginning?! Wink
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I kind of agree with Tom, in that, for a project of this size you really need to study the schematics and know them well to improve your chances of putting together the stripboard versions successfully.
However,.....
I know there are a lot of people out there who are interested in the Super Klee, there is currently no enormous silk screened PCB and kit of parts for it, and I'll do what I can to make it easier for you. Of course you'll have to nominate me for a Nobel Peace Prize. (Or at least donate the next Jupiter8 you get your hands on to my firstborn!! Laughing )
Here it comes.

Fidgit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i promise Very Happy
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the first draft. I have no doubt there will be an error in there somewhere. All I ask is that when you find it, let me know, so I can update this file.

Component List.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Component List.txt
 Filesize:  4.52 KB
 Downloaded:  250 Time(s)

mono-poly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol no one crazy enough to do a pcb layout?
I might organize a run off boards if Scott is fine with that.
I just aint such a great designer.
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mono-poly wrote:
Lol no one crazy enough to do a pcb layout?
I might organize a run off boards if Scott is fine with that.
I just aint such a great designer.

do you think i should do a design for doublesided PCB(s) in expressPCB?

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Matthias,
How would you suggest I go about getting into ExpressPCB. Is ExpressPCB what State Machine used for that SN VCO layout?
I love stripboard, and will always enjoy designing for it, but there are some projects for which stripboard becomes a bit of a link-fest, and those links need to be put in by everybody who puts one together. Not to mention the cuts.
PCB design would be more about just that, design, and I think my background in stripboard could carry me a long way.

fonik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Hey Matthias,
How would you suggest I go about getting into ExpressPCB. Is ExpressPCB what State Machine used for that SN VCO layout?

yes, bill used expressPCB, AFAIK. the PCB service is not that cheap IMO, especially for small runs.
what i love expressPCB for is that it is very easy to use. it consists of both a schematic editor and a pcb designer and both are linkable: you draw the schematic first and then link it to the design file (no autorouter), then you're able to check all connections - the net.
you can easily create your own symbols, parts...

just download the editors and start! it's almost self explaining.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you print off what you've done and etch it yourself rather that use their service?
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Could you print off what you've done and etch it yourself rather that use their service?

you can but with drawbacks. first you have to set the colors in the view options and then you'll get a "positive" printout: it will be the view from the components side of the board (as if the board were transparent - which is fairly fine for press'n'peel blue).

furthermore you can export the BOM, the schematic and the silkscreen.

with a little effort you can do a good documentation, i.e: waspVCF

mono-poly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not sure what everybody want's
Single or double.
I think single might be better but what do other people think?
Page 16 of 27 [659 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: