electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry Electronic Drum CookBook
Page 2 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry Electronic Drum CookBook
Subject description: Magic Smoke selling Thomas Henry Drum Cookbooks
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys and Gals,

This is Tim (Servo) from Magic Smoke Electronics. Thanks for all the interest in the Drum Cookbook. I guess I can try to address some of the questions that have popped up here...

1) Why a PDF version?
There's a couple of reasons for that. Primarily, we realize that this is a relatively low-volume business. Distributing the Cookbook as a PDF means we don't have to mark up for printing or charge for shipping costs. Eleven Cookbooks have been ordered so far, and while that's great, that quantity wouldn't be enough to get us a big reduction in the per-book price for printing and binding. Sending out a PDF means that we don't have inventory sitting on a shelf, which reduces our overhead, which makes it easier for us to stay in business. It also means that the customer doesn't have to pay for shipping and wait a week or two to get the product. Also, several people have said they actually prefer the electronic version. Simply put it on your laptop, and you're good to go!

2) Why did this take so long?
Well, there's several reasons for that Smile First off, this is not a full-time job for either John M or myself. I work all day as a mechanical designer/drafter, and then I do MSE stuff nights and weekends. John M has a day job too. I do MSE because I love synths, and because I think Thomas Henry's stuff is great. However, there are only so many hours in the day. Secondly, if I was going to distribute a product, I wanted to do it right. To that end, I did NOT want to simply scan and/or photocopy Thomas' books. I wanted these versions to look as crisp and clean as possible, and scans definitely wouldn't have done Thomas' work justice. As Scott stated, we weren't able to get the books in electronic form, so we essentially had to start from scratch. All of the text was retyped and formatted, and the schematics were redrawn. Personally, I've invested about 30 to 40 hours of my own time in doing this, and I'm pretty proud of the results. And on top of everything else, - I work slowly Wink

3) Why is the Drum Cookbook $15?
Well, again there are several reasons. First off, we've invested a fair amount of time in the book and in getting MSE set up. Although this is a "hobby" business and neither John or I are expecting to get rich off this, we still don't want to put all this effort into it just to end up loosing money. No business can stick around very long if it can't at least break even. Believe me, we're not simply sitting back and raking in the dough. There are overhead costs, and any profit we make is going right back into product. Also, $15 is about what the book cost from Midwest Analog (more, if you paid more than a few bucks for shipping). We had about twenty printed copies of the Drum Cookbook left over from Midwest Analog's inventory, and we sold them (about six months ago) for $12 plus shipping. This meant the book cost about $15 - 16 for most in the U.S., and about $17 for our friends overseas. Again, there's the argument about paying for a physical printed book versus "only" getting a PDF, but I think the electronic version has it's own merits and since the information is all still there, the PDF, while you can't physically hold it in your hands, is as useful as a printed version.

4) Where the heck is the TH-201 "Mankato"?
Believe me, I wish we had these puppies ready to go! I'm being very careful with the PCB design, and like I say, there are only so many hours in the day. As it stands, the 'core' of the PCB is laid out. I'm adding some details like "hacker friendly" points at the CV and audio summing nodes, and extra pads for Blacet/MOTM AND DotCom power connectors. Also, it looks like there will be one common board for both the four output and eight output versions. Which one you implement will depend primarily on how much panel space you want to devote (since the eight out will need more panel room). So... we're definitely working on it, and we'll announce as soon as anything is ready.

5) What's next?
We're currently working in the 566 book, the 3080 book, and the Mankato. We're going to try to roll out one new product each month in 2007, so that should give you a rough idea of our timetable.

I want to thank everyone again for all the interest (and all the bandwidth!) Have a groovy day!

Tim (multitasking) Servo
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got the book.
It got in my trashfolder somehow.

Great book!
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mr. Servo,

I agree with the pdf format. If you ever buy documents from UL, IEC, etc. that's the way they do it. I think some members may be showing their 'age'! Wink Although I can kind of sympathize: I remember how hard it was to buy a download version of FL Studio for $150 since I had nothing in my hand. However, the folks at FL Studio provide unlimited upgrades and I can download a backup copy should my hard drive take a dump. Plus my bookshelf is not cluttered up with a box. I did end up printing out the manual, but now rarely need to refer to it. After 2 years, I feel pretty good about the FL Studio situation.

I have the Drum Cookbook already, but I'll definitely be a customer for the others! Thanks for providing this service!
chonald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Would anyone know any tips for using this book to create hi-hats and bass drums?

If anyone wants to communicate through private messages, feel free to talk to me. I am interested in what this book can do.
mono-poly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be nicer to discuse in a tread.
So everyone can learn a bit and give ideas and comments.
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm working on a Hi Hat right now using the cookbook. Here is what I got so far on my breadboard,

Trigger conditioner
EG
VCA
VCF
Analog White noise source
Oscillator Bank Noise Source (from The noise generator cookbook)
and I have the Oscillator Bank (schmitt trigger) going through a 4070 to ring modulate the outputs like the CGS Cynare,

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/index.html#cgs47

It is all working but, it doesn't sound too nice or it doesn't sound like the cymbal I'm looking for. First of all the EG does not have the characteristics that emulate the envelope of a cymbal. The decay pot does not do too much. I get either a really short decay like a blip or its wide open. It would be nice to have a release phase. I'm sure it could be fixed by adjusting the cap and resistor values. Any recommendations?

Also to get the right cymbal sound I have to add some pots to the Schmitt trigger so I could adjust the frequencies, and get more of a hi hat or cymbal sound. All in all i'm getting closer to a cymbal but i'm not quite there yet. i'm thinking of cloning the envelope section of the Cynare since I already have a Cynare and the EG works great.

Another issue I have run across is the filter. As it is the filter circuit does not have much of a range. I think a SVF will work much better, but that makes it more complicated and I may as well just build another Cynare.

pete
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Concerning the hihat: I believe Mr. Henry's Clangora was designed for such a purpose. There was a thread on this forum on this subject a couple months ago. Either that or try to google "Clangora" and "Thomas Henry". It was published in Nuts and Volts, I believe. If worse comes to worse, email me and I'll forward the articles as a zip file.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

antman49443 wrote:
There was a thread on this forum on this subject a couple months ago.

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-14827.html maybe ?

23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know I have been wanting to build the Clangora for so long now, I need to just make a PCB. I have all the rare parts for it. I got them just for Thomas's circuits. Here is a sample of Clangora that I got from Thomas's website a while ago.

clangora.mp3
 Description:
Clangora audio sample

Download
 Filename:  clangora.mp3
 Filesize:  2.22 MB
 Downloaded:  1246 Time(s)

etaoin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone know if there have been delays in sending out the Cookbook PDFs? I paid mine more than a week ago and haven't seen anything yet.
etaoin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Etaoin wrote:
Does anyone know if there have been delays in sending out the Cookbook PDFs? I paid mine more than a week ago and haven't seen anything yet.

Still nothing. MagSmoke are not responding to e-mail either. Does anyone know what is going on?
mono-poly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PM Tim Servo.
Then things will get solved for sure.
etaoin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim just sent it! Smile
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry Electronic Drum CookBook Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for any delays on the Drum Cookbooks. I generally try to check the MSE email every day or at least every other day, however, last week I had The Cold From Hell and was literally flat on my back for three or four days. This meant that a few orders didn't get filled right away, but they have been taken care of now. Still, if you ever need a reply RIGHT AWAY, try sending an email to Magic Smoke and send a copy to my private mail (tim.parkhurst at gmail.com). Unless I'm completely unconscious, I check that account every day. As of Feb 7th, everyone who has paid for a Drum Cookbook should have the latest and greatest PDF in their hands.

One reader did catch an error in a schematic, and so I went back through and double checked everything. In addition to some missing designators, I found an error in the original Midwest Analog copy (table of cap values for the Twin-T oscillator: C2 is supposed to be 10 times C1, but the values for "tom-tom" are incorrect). Anyway, I've mailed updated versions to people who got their books before 1/30/07 (after that, the corrected version went out). I suppose this is one big advantage to distributing these books electronically; any updates or corrections are relatively easy.

Cheers!

Tim (working on the next book) Servo
philpeery

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject:  parts source of NE/LM566's... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="bugbrand"]...just located a bunch of NE566 chips - wah-hoo! Pretty good price too.

Hi Mr. Bug! I've got this book, and TH's ADV bass pcb that I've had for awhile in my parts bin. Any chance you can share that source of 566 chips? I could sure use a small pile of them!
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was an ebay shop - little diode in the UK- but all sold now it seems.

I came across them by seaching for NE566* (the star is important) in Ebay - doesn't seem to be any such chips available right now...

philpeery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found five that I have a bid on, but otherwise it seems pretty dry right now for the 566 vco's. thanks, I'll keep watching!
Page 2 of 2 [42 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: