electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2X with Windows Vista ??
Page 2 of 2 [47 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nemystic wrote:

Yes, but I am an independant Producer, I want to sell my music, I spend a lot of time for my music, it's normal to be paid !

Hmm interesting point. However, That's assuming someone actually wants to buy your music in the first place?! Idea Wink

Home taping positively made music happen. If you couldn't buy the record, you would tape it, then when you had a chance to buy a copy you did. Didn't you? I know I certainly did.

OTOH, do you know you actually have a market for your music? Because if you don't, how will anyone be able to hear what your music is like? I know I certainly won't buy a record until I've been able to listen to it before I buy it, and if I don't like it, I will want a refund (that is the current law). Refunds on the whole are unlikely with downloads and have been for a while since the introduction of the internet. DRM will (is) make this situation even worse.

I still prefer to buy music from an actual, physical shop. Long live the LP/CD! Cool

(sorry for the OT)
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whoops, yeah, my bad: it's only the 64-bit versions of Vista that demand signed drivers.
SecretAsianMan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jamos wrote:
Whoops, yeah, my bad: it's only the 64-bit versions of Vista that demand signed drivers.

That's still a Bad Thing (TM), though. Mad Mad Mad
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="v-un-v"]
nemystic wrote:

I still prefer to buy music from an actual, physical shop. Long live the LP/CD! Cool

Yes, it is nice to be able to thumb through CD's at a store. I prefer it over shopping online, but you can't beat the online prices.

I think that's why Tower Records went out of business (here in the US). Sad
nemystic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clavia has given to me a response :
A 64-bit driver is planned for the next OS upgrade. Currently it does not have a release date.

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
A 64-bit driver is planned for the next OS upgrade. Currently it does not have a release date.

Well, at least it is planned.
/Dasz
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
Well, at least it is planned.

Most positive G2 news I've heard in a long time. Come to think of it, it's the only positive G2 news I've heard in a long time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Most positive G2 news I've heard in a long time. Come to think of it, it's the only positive G2 news I've heard in a long time.

Well lets hope they keep up support for XP and 98 too- as Vista enabled computers are far more expensive than their cheaper forebearers.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, if there is a new OS upgrade, maybe they will throw us a few treats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
G2DREAM

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi to everybody!Just installed Vista 32 bit today on a separate partition (after going to the dark scary side and back by using Partition Magic-but i will not use it again! Very Happy) on my pc.The installation of the G2 driver was successful but simply there is no communication of the Engine and the editor and i run it to all possible compatibility options!So will wait for the update (for the G2 and for so many many many other things like drivers for other devices) and then i will start using vista as i seem to like them very much!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Well, if there is a new OS upgrade, maybe they will throw us a few treats.

I wish they would update the Mac OSX demo. Okay, I've got XP running on my Mac, but not everyone will have that ability.

In fact, I just wish clavia would release a AU/VST monophonic plug-in of the G2 demo full stop. Very Happy But I suppose that could mean certain suicide??

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks like c1 has a 64bit usb driver ....

http://clavia.com/downloads/OS/default.asp?filter=nord%20c1%20organ

/Dasz
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
g2ian wrote:
Vista does not require signed drivers.

Right, well then it's not illegal either I guess Laughing

Vista 64 does require signed drivers, vista 32 doesn't at the moment but this will change in the future.

Microsoft want the 32 bit version to only support signed drivers but not enough manufacturers managed to get their drivers signed in time for the release, there will be a period of time when unsigned drivers will work until microsoft switch the switch to disable them.

Cheers

Andy
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Concerning DRM in vista:

All certified drivers that deal with digital audio (analogue is currently safe) on Vista have to degrade the digital signal if protected material is inserted into the machine (blueray, dvd, cd etc) or playing from the harddisk network etc.

Any driver that can be hacked to remove this protection can be disabled remotely by microsoft, thus rendering your hardware useless until another driver can be certified.

An interesting side effect of this is that microsoft conside linux (or any other os) drivers for a piece of hardware to have violated the safety of the hardware and they will also disable the driver if this happens.

Big Brother, no!

Cheers

Andy
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm totally unsure which Vista-doom stories to believe and which not, but I'm happy with XP and don't feel any need to 'upgrade'. Wait and see it the absolute best option imho.
t4k4sh1

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Half a year later ....... still no sign of signed drivers....

All i want is just a vista 32bit driver that works with the current editor.
I don't ask anything else. fancy new editor, new OS with tons of new modules and so on. i don't need them. G2 is great as is. (needless to say, i would be so glad when new OS update comes out.)

G2 editor and driver is the only thing that forces me to use windoze xp...

Takashi
cappy2112

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

t4k4sh1 wrote:
Half a year later ....... still no sign of signed drivers....

All i want is just a vista 32bit driver that works with the current editor.
I don't ask anything else. fancy new editor, new OS with tons of new modules and so on. i don't need them. G2 is great as is. (needless to say, i would be so glad when new OS update comes out.)

G2 editor and driver is the only thing that forces me to use windoze xp...

Takashi

A workaround has been posted here
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=vmware&t=18748
SecretAsianMan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unless you happen to have a spare Windows license and VMWare sitting around, that's a pretty crappy workaround. Sad
cappy2112

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SecretAsianMan wrote:
Unless you happen to have a spare Windows license and VMWare sitting around, that's a pretty crappy workaround. Sad

It's better than not being able to run the editor at all.
What is the motivation for running Vista?

Since you're already using Windows, you already have the license, you don't need another one.

Parallels is another option which is cheaper than VMWare, less features, but noone has posted any results with it. There are also open source alternatives.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
SecretAsianMan wrote:

It's better than not being able to run the editor at all.
What is the motivation for running Vista?

Since you're already using Windows, you already have the license, you don't need another one.

Parallels is another option which is cheaper than VMWare, less features, but noone has posted any results with it. There are also open source alternatives.

VMWare player is free, you don't get much cheaper than that!

It is also far superior to Parallels (I use both).

You can use a converter for VMWare to convert an existing XP installation to a virtual machine.

Cheers

Andy
cappy2112

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="BobTheDog"]
cappy2112 wrote:
SecretAsianMan wrote:

Andy

Yes- this has been mentioned earlier, but you still need someone with VMware to create an XP VM for you.

The question is: Would distributing a VM of XP be a violation of the license?

Take note that there are no VM's of XP, Win2k etc at VMware.com to download?

Server 2003 is there, but I think that OS can already be downloaded for free Microsoft's website.

Most of the pre-built Vm's are Linux & BSD variants.

BTW- is the conversion tool to make a VM from an existing installation new to VM Workstation 6.x, or was this around in the 5.x release as well?
I don't recall seeing it, but I may have missed it.
BobTheDog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="cappy2112"]
BobTheDog wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:
SecretAsianMan wrote:

Andy

Yes- this has been mentioned earlier, but you still need someone with VMware to create an XP VM for you.

The question is: Would distributing a VM of XP be a violation of the license?

Take note that there are no VM's of XP, Win2k etc at VMware.com to download?

Server 2003 is there, but I think that OS can already be downloaded for free Microsoft's website.

Most of the pre-built Vm's are Linux & BSD variants.

BTW- is the conversion tool to make a VM from an existing installation new to VM Workstation 6.x, or was this around in the 5.x release as well?
I don't recall seeing it, but I may have missed it.

Hi,

You don't need someone with VMWare to create the VM for you as you can use the free converter to do this. I am not sure if it was around for version 5, I wioll ask a guy at work as he uses it.

Another way to do it is to download the free demo of VMWare workstation, create your VM by installing XP, then un-install workstation and install the player. Thats what I did!

Cheers

Andy
Page 2 of 2 [47 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: