electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Live electro-music improvisation by Twyndyllyngs Chez Mosc
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
alternate midi mode nord lead 2x
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
lusid45

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: alternate midi mode nord lead 2x
Subject description: are there alternates
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the nord seems to default at midi mode 3 and i am using it to control a monophonic synthesizer via midi, so i need to change the midi mode but it doesn't mention how in the manual, i have been searching the net for hours and any help would be greatly appreciated
-mitch
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, maybe I can help, but what do you mean by Midi Mode?
Are there different 'modes'?

found at: http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/glossary/t--MIDIMode wrote:
MIDI Mode
One of several ways in which a device can respond to incoming MIDI information. There are two parts to each mode, one defining whether it is monophonic or polyphonic, and the other determining if it is multitimbral or not. Four modes are included in the MIDI spec, and two others, Multi Mode and Mono Mode (for MIDI guitar) were developed later.

Omni On/Poly - Device responds to MIDI data regardless of channel, and is polyphonic. (See WFTD "Polyphonic")
Omni On/Mono - Device responds to MIDI data regardless of channel, and is monophonic. This mode is rarely, if ever, used.
Omni Off/Poly - Device responds to MIDI data only on one particular channel, and is polyphonic. This is the normal mode for most keyboards that are not functioning multitimbrally.
Omni Off/Mono - Device responds to MIDI data only on one particular channel, and is monophonic.

Multi Mode - Used by many devices for multitimbral operation. An expanded version of Mode 3, Multi Mode allows the device to respond to several independent MIDI channels at once, with each being polyphonic. (See also WFTD "Multitimbral")

Mono Mode - Used for MIDI guitar applications, Mono Mode is an expanded version of Mode 4, allowing for six Omni Off/Monophonic channels to be used at once, one for each string of the controller. This allows for better tracking, independent pitch bend per channel, and a separate sound or patch assignment per channel.

This is what I found, but do you mean this?

Wout
lusid45

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah thats exactly it, i just don't know how to switch between those modes in the nord lead 2x, it doesn't give any info in the manual
lusid45

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

basically, i'm using the nord to control an elektron sidstation which is monophonic and i want to be able to play it like a true monosynth in the sense that i can leave a note held down with my left hand and when i'm tapping notes with my right each time i lift my right hand up it bounces back to the held note, like a moog does or even the nord in mono mode, i figured its a midi setting because right now its set to poly so when i push keys on the key board i'm triggering the midi on in each note but when i lift one hand it doesn't resend the midi on to the note that is held down because its poly. playing octaves with one hand is very difficult to do when its set to poly like it is, you have to be very precise
someone said something about midi unnison or something, maybe im asking the wrong question. i am fairly new with this
thanks again
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 219
G2 patch files: 319

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The MIDI implementation chart on page 113 of the manual is quite clear - mode 3 only. Sorry to disappoint you.
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The list I found is about the mode of the receiving instrument, in your case the SidStation. Anyway, the Lead doesn't have any possibilities to set the mode.

Perhaps there is a work around, using the Arpegiator. Set this in ArpOut Goto [Shift+ProgCtrl > 2xProgCtrl = Aoff] Set using the curser the value to Aon. Press Arp in LFO2 and choose a mode, like Up&Down. Then us the Hold function [Shift+Arp] and set the Rate to just one octave.
The Arpegiator sends NoteOn and NoteOff, so it does what you want to hear, maybe not as flexible, but it works in a way.

Wout
lusid45

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah it works very similar. thanks a lot for your help. could you recommend a midi keyboard that could do the function i spoke of?
tonyggg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clavia ignores a lot of the basic midi implementations taken for granted on other products. For example you can't change the midi modes and the Nord does not transmit ALL data on a single channel as should. See my earlier posts.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: