electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Amazing electronic music nonprofit in Portland,OR
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
oldlibrarystudio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Amazing electronic music nonprofit in Portland,OR Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electronic music folks, you're gonna LOVE this one:

The Old Library Studio is a nonprofit music recording studio for teens, in Portland, OR. The program is fantastic. Basically it's an electronic music studio where teens learn to make their own music using technology.

Read all about it on the website: http://www.oldlibrarystudio.org/program.html

Let us know what you think ! We'll answer any questions you post on this thread. (or if you email us)

Anyone can be a composer; you can make your own music if you want to
Michael Chocholak

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, very cool idea. Years ago we worked in a small pilot project with (what was then) Children's Services. The idea was to take 'troubled youth' and offer them an alternative and more positive release for their energies. That time around it was through drama and they chose to make a video. They (through consensus) chose the vid (Van Halen's Hot for Teacher Shocked Twisted Evil Cool ), wrote the script, acted in it, helped shoot, direct & edit it and... it was a kick ass video! And, not surprisingly since that's how they were getting through life, they were great actors! Anyway it really worked. They opened up, laughed, threw out their petty issues between each other and really saw some other possibilities for the first time.

(Unfortunately since it was state funded, it died a quick death, and even more unfortunately everyone eventually returned to what they'd been doing previously - although everyone that was a part of it always acknowledged everyone else in the group in a special way)

Since then it's been tried a few more times with moderate success. Big problems are usually funding (like when isn't that a factor) and the fact that the approach is way too controversial for the state to buy into or support in any way. But I know it can work. Sounds like your focus is broader than ours was which I think bodes for success from a lot of different standpoints. Probably doesn't hurt that you're in Portland either.

We've always made sure our kids had multiple artistic outlets when they were younger and it has served them all well as they've grown into the world. Particularly music. Even recorded & mixed down two releases when they put bands together. It was a great way to bring in a bunch of kids at once.

Great, great idea. Art is where it's at. All power to you folks.

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a great project. I wish you all the best success with it. I'm sure some kids will really relate to electronic music and it will give their lives focus. They'll learn about technology, computers, and get some self confidence. Feel free to point some of the programs participants here if they might benefit from talking to other musicians from around the world. They can post there compositions here on our "online music' forum. We'll do what we can to help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. I didn't know about this thing. I'll e-mail you and offer my support any way I can (I live just out of Portland)
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: