electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
My DIY step sequencer
Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When you said in another thread that we have similar backgrounds, I chuckled. I even chuckled more when I found this thread.

In 1976 I built a very similar beast, using a set of 4016 analog switches with a simple potentiometer padded input and output. Sort of like the 2600's analog switch, but on steroids and driven by a counter instead of a comparator. I think I used a '173 for the counter, but it's been years since I lost my Fairchild Semiconductor CMOS book. I remember I just used a 555 to clock it. 100k pots, 16 of them, bunch of jacks and I threw in some lil bat switches so you could reset the sequencer arbitrarily. The local Radio Shack loved me.

But I don't have pictures. It's a pretty simple circuit. I built it in a keyboard case, it had a blank top so I could drill out the holes for the pots, LEDs and switches and jacks.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

Great minds think alike. If you are going to go though the trouble of building a sequence, you might as well use analog multiplexers instead of just voltage levels.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was always taken by the 2600's analog switch. It was a 2 note sequencer, if you fed it a CV, but it took a signal just as easily. So with the sequencer I reckoned you could always chuck a DC voltage through, but if you had analog switch chips that could do a fair signal (ok, the 4016 wasn't quite an audiophile quality switch, but hey) why not do that. Funny, I threw that assembly away in 1994, in a purge-before-move. It's a pretty simple circuit, easy to replicate though... Confused
TonE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
I mean, if I could build my ideal sequencer, it would have an embedded version of KeyKit running in it's core. That could then control an analog mux system like you have, with a program running to respond like your sequencer does, but still be stable like hardware is. And still always be expandable. But that's neither here nor there...
I like your idea of having an embedded version of Keykit running in it's core. It would just replace a computer, a laptop, as a lot of performers seem to prefer hardware against laptops, I do not know the exact reason for that. But why do you think Keykit is not stable as hardware is? When does Keykit get instable, can you give any examples?

Apart from that if Tim Thompson would develop a hardware device, e.g. using the Arduino plattform and put Keykit into its core, offering an interface where you can add new keykit codes ( .k files) to that system like plugins/modules, then he should make very soon a lot of millions, if my name would be Tim Thompson, I would do it. If necessary some Assembler optimizations might be added for getting tighter timing.

But as far as I know he is also registered in this forum, so he might know more details.
Drone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice design Mosc ! That must have taken a lot of time & commitment.

In case anyone wants to attempt some thing similar for non-commercial purposes (equipment sales), & hasn't already done so, check out the midi-box site.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/

Page 2 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Jump to: