electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Circuit bending research project
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jamiedodd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Circuit bending research project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hullo all

i am a 3rd year sound technology student and as part of our final year we have to undertake a research project where we choose a topic related to sound and technology and write a paper on it.

i have chosen circuit bending as it has been a passion of mine for some time

but to really set my research off, i need some primary research, which is where some of you could come in Smiley

bascially if any of you could answer the questions below, then it would be a great help to me and much appreicated, as it would provide me with good information from people who are out there and circuit bending.

1. How did you first get into Circuit Bending?

2. How important do you feel it is to have an understanding of true-theory electronics? Is the knowledge necessary to enable one to progress further into the art?

3. What factors do you think have contributed to the development and current state of the art?

4. What do you think makes Circuit Bending such an easy access art form?

5. Do you regularly make music or perform with your Circuit Bent instruments? Or is the thrill in the build?

5. What do you think the future holds for Circuit Bending?

6. Reed Ghazala often mentions how body contacts can enable both an instrument and the player to become one entity – what is your opinion on this coming together of man and machine?

7. To what extent do you feel miniaturisation (both in circuit board and component design) has contributed to the development of the art?

8. What are your opinions on people who Circuit Bend for financial reasons (eg people selling bent instruments on Ebay etc)? Do you think Circuit Bendings cottage industry could ever progress to more of a mass production type?

9. Where do you see Circuit Bending in contemporary music?

10. What first attracted you to Circuit Bending?

thank you for taking the time to read this

if you could respond to any or all of these questions then it would be much appreciated

thank you

Jamie Dodd
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. How did you first get into Circuit Bending?
I have too much junk laying around. And when I don't, it's cheap to find more junk.

2. How important do you feel it is to have an understanding of true-theory electronics? Is the knowledge necessary to enable one to progress further into the art?
None to begin with. but the art teaches you about the theory, and the theory helps improve the art. Self-sustaining.

3. What factors do you think have contributed to the development and current state of the art?
Mostly involving more people in it, and providing the theory I know to them.

4. What do you think makes Circuit Bending such an easy access art form?
Low-cost entry, minimal tools required, it generally involves things that have or had little value.

5. Do you regularly make music or perform with your Circuit Bent instruments? Or is the thrill in the build?
My thrill is in the discovery, find what else is hidden in the box that the designer or user never intended. Wonderful mistakes.,

5. What do you think the future holds for Circuit Bending?
There's always new toys, though times are getting difficult due to higher levels of integration.

6. Reed Ghazala often mentions how body contacts can enable both an instrument and the player to become one entity – what is your opinion on this coming together of man and machine?
I think any contact of any kind is a key roll in expressive music. Watch any Jazz Trumpet player, or violinist, and blues guitarist, they have the same level of oneness with their instrument.

7. To what extent do you feel miniaturisation (both in circuit board and component design) has contributed to the development of the art?
Miniaturization has brought great fun in the forms of sample banks that can be tweaked by forcing "incorrect" addresses, or increasing the level of apparent functionality beyond the basic siren or beep. Plus, hand in hand with the shrinking world comes digitization, a different animal with it's own rewards to be found.

8. What are your opinions on people who Circuit Bend for financial reasons (eg people selling bent instruments on Ebay etc)? Do you think Circuit Bendings cottage industry could ever progress to more of a mass production type? The whole concept of circuit bending is taking something that was intended to do one task, and finding, forcing, or giving it a new direction. The concept of progressing toward a mass production type would be counter intuitive. Circuit bent instruments sold (at often over valued rates) are for those who don't know, or don't want to know, the art of bending. Without the purchasers this wouldn't exist, but those who buy these items are buying an instrument that makes music, just like someone might buy a piano. If it offends you that it's done, I think it can be safely ignored. The fact that it exists is not going to ruin the world, or the art forum.

9. Where do you see Circuit Bending in contemporary music?
Typically in music that also exhibits the same characteristics of circuit bending...finding a new sound or method that might not have been used in a place that wasn't expected.

10. What first attracted you to Circuit Bending?
See question #1. Either I was led to being an electrical engineer because of my constant playing & repurposing of toys, or I was destined to be an engineer to begin with, so I found a reason to always have a pile of junk around.
jamiedodd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for replying!

much appreciated

jamie
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: