electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
A Look At The Culture Behind The iPod
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: A Look At The Culture Behind The iPod Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
To many, the iPod is more than just a music player. It is a representation of their personality, a symbol of status, or a fashion statement. The idea that a piece of technology could be just as flashy and unique as a tattoo may be a bit tacky, but to iPod owners it is a reality. The iPod has created a culture of it’s own. It is a rebirth for portable music players, and is riding the same kind of vibe the Walkman, and CD player road for years. Ultimately, the iPod clearly represents a new era, and the birth of digital pop-culture.

http://www.apple-x.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=871&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

it sounds fishy to me Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It represents the nicest, sleekest, and priciest product of it's flavour, and that is all. It's no more a culture than the Walkman or Oakleys have been. They're good products with threefold the marketing.

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is just a smart little gadget. I guess Apple would become market leaders overnight if they eventually decided to branch out into sex toys. Culture my ass. Shocked Cool Rolling Eyes

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep..this is why hackers are beginning to target mac..

they are getting too big for their britches...

i love Mac OS 7 - OS 9... and i know OS X is all fancy and neat-o and all that

but i can make a list of about 300 things that annoy me about OS X and the 'new' apple

bill gates has a 49 per cent share in Apple inc.

it shows...

i will still buy a G5 [when i can afford it] because the alternative [ PC ] is depressing to even think about

but i am beginning to wish for a 3rd viable competitor

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You guys are right. Too bad. I was all excited about "a representation of their personality, a symbol of status, or a fashion statement". I need those... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy
play

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sudden wrote:

how 'bout linux or freebsd? There's a whole lot of other operating systems out there. I guess they're viability factor depends on how much work the user is willing to put in to make them run how they want.

what's an iPod?

but seriously. the same aura surrounded with the palm pilot for awhile. It seems to me to be related to this packaged lifestyle called 'metrosexual' that's being sold to us by television shows about fashion. It's really just an excuse to feel ok about being egocentric enough to buy really expensive crap and worry about your looks more than the suffering of humanity. I prefer to torture myself about how I should have donated money to the salvation army instead of buying a new computer.
paul e.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noiseusse wrote:
sudden wrote:

how 'bout linux or freebsd?

in wondered if some one would bring that up..

i follow linux developments..and i must say i have been very dissapointed by what has actually transpired..i.e. very little

i sometimes wonder if Linux etc is just a delusion of granduer cooked up by dissaffected semi-political slighty naive people

it's a nice IDEA...but the reality is far from viable for most uses

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noiseusse wrote:
It seems to me to be related to this packaged lifestyle called 'metrosexual' that's being sold to us by television shows about fashion.

The Word Spy wrote:
At dinner the other night, my date listed the calorie count of the main entrees, raising an eyebrow at my chicken Alfredo selection after he had ordered a salad. I saw him check his reflection in the silver water pitcher three times. During dessert, he looked deeply into my eyes and told me he thought what we have together is very special. It was our third date.

It was then that I realized why my dating life has been as mysterious as the Bermuda Triangle since I arrived in Washington. This city, unlike any other place I've lived, is a haven for the metrosexual. A metrosexual, in case you didn't catch any of several newspaper articles about this developing phenomenon (or the recent "South Park" episode on Comedy Central), is a straight man who styles his hair using three different products (and actually calls them "products"), loves clothes and the very act of shopping for them, and describes himself as sensitive and romantic. In other words, he is a man who seems stereotypically gay except when it comes to sexual orientation.

I do not feel very metrosexual today Shocked

The Word Spy wrote:
Genuine guys are sometimes known as retrosexuals, to distinguish them from metrosexuals, who are men with the good taste of gay men, only they're straight. Metrosexuals are scrupulous about their grooming and are great consumers of men's cosmetic products. They use hair gel. Retrosexuals are scared of hair gel. Some people think that retrosexuals automatically have Neanderthal views about women, but this is not the case. A retrosexual is simply someone who doesn't know the difference between teal and aqua, and frankly couldn't give a damn.

maybe I am retrosexual Idea

Quote:
paul e.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

funny..i feel multisexual today
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Polysexual anyone Question
Quote:
My sexuality was continuing to expand, beyond attractions to members of two genders, to encompass new relationships with myself and with the sea, trees and sky.

Quote:
play

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I once answered to the question "So, which way does your door swing?": "There is no door."

How 'bout i'm-a-person-not-an-idea-sexual? All this terminology smacks of the tendency of this culture to give more importance to the image of things than the actual thing.

I'm also reminded of Kurt Vonnegut's concept of granfalloons which is, of course, a false karass
play

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sudden wrote:
noiseusse wrote:
sudden wrote:

how 'bout linux or freebsd?

it's a nice IDEA...but the reality is far from viable for most uses

You missed the part where I wrote that it's viability depends on how much work the user is willing to put into it. I agree, linux is far from equal to windows or OSX when it comes to availability of good audio software. That's the nature of open source. You have to make what you can't find.

Quote:
i sometimes wonder if Linux etc is just a delusion of granduer cooked up by dissaffected semi-political slighty naive people

I doubt it. I'm just guessing here but I'd say that more than 70% of all web servers are running linux or UNIX. The infrastructure of the internet is built on this operating system. Apache, the number one webserver software is open source. There's a reason for this.

The lack of audio software is a bummer but I'm sure it will change once someone writes a decent DSP toolkit for the linux kernel. Already you can get csound with several front ends, some of which have extensive sequencing environments.

The difference between the process of actualizing a dream and simply indulging in 'delusions of granduer' is work. Fantasizing doesn't usually involve thousands of people coding unless you consider the entire digital realm to be a fantasy (which it kind of is).
paul e.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

------------ red white yellow

Last edited by paul e. on Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
play

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

me too. it's sort of a technical thing, electronic music, that is. i like to know my instruments well. building them is the best possible way to do that. it's not very everybody though. takes lots of time.
paul e.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry, but someone altered my post [an admin with a questionble sense of humour i assume]

unfortunately i don;t agree that it is fun..it is a pain in the neck actually...and highly impractical.

play

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

practical shmratical ::)
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: