electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
sort of weak...
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
dtannhei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: sort of weak... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

not many people review others music on this site, whats the deal? average replies for music review is approximately 3. c'mon people dont you like hearing others music? (this thread is in no way insulting the forum itself, just people who fail to write any reviews) thanks -dan

[Editor's note: Attached photo and links deleted by mosc, April 13, 2004]
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: sort of weak... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dtannhei wrote:
not many people review others music on this site, whats the deal? average replies for music review is approximately 3. c'mon people dont you like hearing others music? (this thread is in no way insulting the forum itself, just people who fail to write any reviews) thanks -dan

you know...as the number of registered users grows so grows the request of feedback.
Each one of us would like to receive feedback for our work but grabbing someone else's attention is always a tough job.
Listening to everyone can also be very time consuming. That's it Exclamation

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh no..not another one

Rolling Eyes

you have made a total of 7 posts here...and i couldn't find any of your posts where you reviewed someone else's music... if you participate in an honest way, and not just to get a flood of praise for your latest masterpeice, you will find people are more willing to feedback on your stuff

dtannhei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

exactly, i have made 7 replies, ive only been here a week or so, not much time to do anything/not much new music posted. but instead of argueing lets just go and listen to some songs Surprised
play

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here:
http://noiseusse.org/releases.htm

it would be nice if you could review our entire discography. I think that would get you some *points* and all of us on that label are craving feedback.

Just some thoughts...

I've been up on the net for over a year now with mp3's of my music and my friends music. There have been thousands upon thousands of downloads and I have never once gotten an email saying "This stuff is great." or "You suck." and neither has anyone else.

I think one has to make a really big impression in order to receive unsolicited feedback. And solicited feedback is generally pretty weak because people aren't doing it because they're moved to do it.
jkn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm averaging about two unsolicited totally out of the blue emails a year about my music where someone just somehow stumbled across me somewhere (a friend with a cd or mp3 or something...). It's amazingly cool when it happens. In general - I get feedback on my tunes if I take time and give feedback on other people's tunes. I don't expect the people that I give feedback to listen to mine at all. Heck - I gave a lot of feedback to folks before I even started posting tracks on the web anyway - I just enjoy doing it.

I definitely go in spurts - I'll listen to a ton of stuff that I've racked up in a day and write a lot of emails to people (I've sent several pm's here if I couldn't find a thread that directly related to the track).
paul e.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

music is for higher purposes than the mere approval or dissapproval of others..

try american idol for that

play

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"that's a big 10-4 *krsht* over"

i go back and listen to stuff i made as recently as 2 weeks ago and I think "who made that?". I don't expect praise or derision for something I'm not capable of taking full responsibility for. Sure I twisted the knobs and sequenced the notes but where did it come from anyway? Even if I make exactly what's in my head (which doesn't ever happen) where did that idea come from in the first place? I don't remember sitting down in front of the mirror and saying "Dude, you're gonna have an idea now."
paul e.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noiseusse wrote:

Even if I make exactly what's in my head (which doesn't ever happen) where did that idea come from in the first place?

now, that is a very good question...

seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan once said: "we do not sing, we are made to sing"
I do not know, maybe he's right Very Happy

Quote:
play

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

maybe it's both. we sing and are made to sing. that's probably what makes the question "Where does it come from?" such a toughy.
Cyxeris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, if you think about it, this forum isnt review-intensive to begin with. It's artist-friendly, not artist critical. Sure, a review can be a possitive critique, but that's not really what it's been about here, has it? After all, that's more in line with the concerns of LTMM posters than with the community. Just a thought.

"Yeah right, who's the only one here who knows secret illegal ninja moves from the government?"
-Napoleon Dynamite
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well... right now I have internet access from a laptop which does not have any working audio output. This means I will have to download music.. carry the laptop home... transfer the files to another mac or burn them to CD . My DAW is not really set up for listening to MP3 files... so I guess I will have to burn CDs... Listening to online mp3s are not that practical to do right now Smile

Cyx is kinda right .. this site is more abut a community than being a site of funender.com kind. Perhaps it will evolve to that?? Or not? On the other hand.. this site is VERY about music so posting links and discussing music is.. well.. kinda what we do around here.. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Question. Why the picture of FatHat256?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Question. Why the picture of FatHat256?

you mindreader you!

so?

huh huh huh huh why not a fathat 128? or 64?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dtannhei wrote:
not many people review others music on this site, whats the deal?

I'm still one of the 5 people on the planet that has dial-up...its not that I don't like listening to music, its just very hard for me to download much of it.
themoors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have lots of spare time, I could probably commit to 2 hours every weekday to listening to members music, obviously i'd want the usual 2 weeks holiday and christmas and easter free, but im sure there would be plenty of people willing to temp in my absence. I cant promise to say nice things all the time but i'll do my best to be honest and fair. I only worry that I may become cynical after awhile and start slagging off peoples music because I dont like the look of their avatars or the way their screen names sound on my tongue, if i really dont like the music i may even start questioning the bodily hygine of the composer/s rather than say the music is crap... ah well such is journalism....

well anyway, ill send my bank details over to Mr Mosc and ill start tomorow , its IS a bank holiday after all Wink
dtannhei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
music is for higher purposes than the mere approval or dissapproval of others..

music review is not just to praise people or whatever, its a means to expand and learn from things that might not be obvious to you when you make music. when people say negative things, i enjoy it much more when people are bland and say "this is cool". i want to learn and the worst judge is oneself. thats why i feel critiqueing is key in music development, not to build ones ego Laughing

ps- fathat256 is just the name of the picture when i downloaded it. if you want to see more go to removed by mosc
paul e.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah thanks for that link Rolling Eyes
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sudden wrote:

I guess you refer to "xxx" and I do not know why I feel sarcasm in your reply Cool I do not see why dunno

Quote:
play

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
music review is not just to praise people or whatever,

it isn't?

Quote:
its a means to expand and learn from things that might not be obvious to you when you make music.

such as...

Quote:
when people say negative things, i enjoy it much more when people are bland and say "this is cool". i want to learn and the worst judge is oneself. thats why i feel critiqueing is key in music development, not to build ones ego :lol:

I'm sure there are plenty of forums where you can indulge your masochistic urges by letting unqualified peers deconstruct your music.

I guess if you're trying to make something specific like commercially successful trance or something then review can be helpful. I have no need for it besides the fact that it's nice to know people like what I'm doing occasionally.

Besides that there's really no accounting for taste and if you make music from inspiration rather than commercial or other ego-driven considerations then reviews will only hinder that process by projecting a static image onto the creative process. In other words, it becomes more difficult to open to the creative force that made the work in the first place if you have a static image of what it is or should be. Art is a process more than anything. Review makes the image of the thing--the final product--the central focus.

Quote:
ps- fathat256 is just the name of the picture when i downloaded it. if you want to see more go to xxx

from the above site: "You can tell they are retardeds because they put their party hats on the dogs!"

huh huh. dude. You can tell they are pathetic voyeurs because their hands are covered in fur /-)
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I went to (name deleted) website and found it depressing. . .not so much for the pictures but for the comments made by the person running the site. It's not funny. Instead it is childishly cruel. Why would anyone spend time putting together such a site? I couldn't bear to see but a few pictures.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/

Last edited by Mohoyoho on Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
paul e.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
sudden wrote:

I guess you refer to "xxx" and I do not know why I feel sarcasm in your reply Cool I do not see why dunno

hehe...yes, and i will assume you will NOT be adding that one into the database of links.... Wink

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
I went to xxx website and found it depressing. . .not so much for the pictures but for the comments made by the person running the site. It's not funny. Instead it is childishly cruel. Why would anyone spend time putting together such a site? I couldn't bear to see but a few pictures.

I agree.

Disrespect of other people is best avoided, particulary for the harm it does to the disrespector. If you want to be respected, then respect other people.

To many people, it is apparent that all humanity, all life itself for that matter, is ONE. When you make fun of someone else, you are just making fun of yourself. It generates negative energy which brings everyone down, but it is powerless and pointless energy.

Dan, you say:

Quote:
this thread is in no way insulting the forum itself, just people who fail to write any reviews)

Please don't insult anyone, whether they write lots of reviews or not one. Feedback, suggestions, and encouragement, are positive and will help you develop and grow, as it will help those with whom you communicate.

I believe in free speech, but I'm using my editorial purgative and deleting the photo and the link to that site from this forum. Please see our published conditions of use statement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I believe in free speech, but I'm using my editorial purgative and deleting the photo and the link to that site from this forum. Please see our published conditions of use statement.

excellent Exclamation I agree Howard
thanks Very Happy

Quote:
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: