electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Metasonix
Bass by the Balls
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
otolathe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Bass by the Balls
Subject description: TM-7 is Not Pretty
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have TM-7 #7, which is quite the unwholesome little box. It really makes everything sound very very bad, which is what I should have expected having carefully scrutinized all of the product literature.

Somewhere I read that it can do absolutely heinous things to a bass guitar, and by now I had no reason to doubt this. Nevertheless, I hooked up a Warwick Fretless Corvette Standard to the malignant little scrotumbeast, passed it through a Moog VX-351 attenuator, then on to a SWR Workingmans Twelve. BN6 off, Scrotum Up Ya Ass at 9:00Teabag. Recorded it using a Sennheiser e602 onto Quantegy GP9 1/2" tape.

bassFOCK

Didn't twist any knobs on the TM-7, just the (passive) tone controls and the pickup selector gave it that pissiness.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A bass guitar? Shocked You are sure I´m not listening to your scrotum being ripped? Shocked

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
kvnvk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

niiiiiiice.... Very Happy
zerosum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fuck yeah man Very Happy
Thanks Very Happy

Ive been making some phone calls trying to get someone to let me borrow their bass or bring it over, Id love to run bass through this bitch Twisted Evil

Quote:
It really makes everything sound very very bad,

Yes it does and i fucking love it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
However when the double scrotum switch is set to blue balls it makes everythign sound HUGE and all the things that the whiners who say "thats not musical" might say "hey that has balls"

I love the name for this module, It totally smashes Balls when people are looking for "that ballsy tone" although it can give you some killer ballsy tone.
This is a great module, Thanks for sharing with us Very Happy
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a nasty tone. Very nice!
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bad? Sounds good to me. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Bad? Sounds good to me. Shocked

Sure, but it evidently does take a huge lot of gear in order to make a bass guitar sound like something useful.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure the bass player has the most to do with it.

welcome otolathe

Great first post, IMHO.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
otolathe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for all of the kind words, but you are speaking with a very disturbed man. After many hours of experimentation with the TM-7, which nearly drove me to madness and which left me with a howling, screeching tinnitus like some kind of flesh-eating grub at the center of my brain, I have reached some disturbing conclusions about this device. Some of them can be perceived as criticisms, but they really are not.

One is, with regard to bass, most of the nearly-infinite interesting settings on the TM-7 do not lend themselves to the traditional role of the bass as a rhythmic element in a tune. Your carefully constructed b-line is usually composed of notes with an attack & an end. Sometimes there's even some silence between your notes. Well, the TM-7 buries your attack under several cubic hectares of sludge, and if you try to wrestle with this state of affairs your own scrotum turns into a shredded hole surrounded by tattered bloody flesh, you walk funny and you start to piss sideways.

Secondly, as elektro80 observes, it can take some gear to render the TM-7 into a semi-orderly citizen of the signal chain. This is a shame and is slightly counterproductive to Metasonix, because it would seem the most lucrative market for this beast would be the noise artist, who typically owns the crappiest Behringer and Peavey gear (if that).

Finally, I conclude with the blasphemous truth, which you may not be ready for, and it is this: the TM-7 is the instrument here, AND the musician. Haahahahahaaha, the instrument is not YOUR BASS. The musician here IS NOT YOU. All music is being corrupted by this noisome object, being insidiously bent to its hideous will. AH hahahahahaha.....hahahahahaha....

There is no bypass, only Zu'ul!
zerosum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Well, the TM-7 buries your attack under several cubic hectares of sludge,

Disengage the double scrotum by setting the switch to blueballs,
flip up the BN6 and crank it with the scrotum up ya ass knob(which controls the BN6)

The oscilations can be tamed when not using the double scrotum.
zerosum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can also cut through the teabag if you hit the input hard.
When i put an Effector 13 Torn's Peaker infront of my guitar,
it made a lot of difference, other pedals didnt work as well.

Im going to try it with a preamp and see if its the same.
The scrotum/teabag kind of behaves like a sample rate reducer.

You can also get some slight waveshaping when its at a sweet spot
between 80% full right and 100%.
Drums cut right through the Scrotum, but guitars and synths take a little more work, but it can be done!
cool module.
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I'm sure the bass player has the most to do with it.

welcome otolathe

Great first post, IMHO.

ditto that. this is sooo why i want to get into kit building...

Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Metasonix
Jump to: