electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Rollz-5 drum machine
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Photon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Rollz-5 drum machine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a couple of photos of my implementation of the Ciat-Lonbarde Rollz-5 drum machine. The geometric jack arrangements are pulse generators. The banks of knobs are filters: the left produce drum like sounds, the ones on the right tones. The upper four filters heterodyne and make weird shortwave radio-like sounds. You connect the pulse generators to make patterns then patch thru a filter to output.

top.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.6 KB
 Viewed:  262 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

top.jpg

patched.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.7 KB
 Viewed:  251 Time(s)

patched.jpg

flickr

Last edited by Photon on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
bugbrand

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very lovely indeed! Mmm, in a carry case, very symmetric, subtle colours. Yes, very fine!
shawn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

could you share some samples? I've admired it since i saw it on peter's site.
chonald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What kind of case is that? How did you make the front panel (cutting it to size and fitting it in)?

It looks really nice.

Cole
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes,
a very beautiful piece of instrumentation there!
I'd love to check out the schematic, the geometric patch points to create patterns has me intrigued about what is connected to them.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What the f.... is THAT??

ME LIKES!! Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those circuit boards are works of art! Why hide them??
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just checked out the Ciat-Lonbarde web page. Man that dude is the Ray Wilson of France! Seriously geniusness! Shocked Cool
The Rollz 5 is like a crackle box on crack! Very Happy
I'm very impressed.

Photon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I really appreciate it. And thanks to Peter Blasser of Ciat-Lonbarde for dreaming it up and freely sharing the design.

Uncle Krunkus-
Yeah Mr. Blasser's designs are really far out. He actually lives in Baltimore Maryland in the USSA. This has about 100 transistors in it! The circuit boards are all made of paper. check out his site at : http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/
He has made some really incredible stuff.

v-un-v,
yes his boards ARE works of art. However, if you only saw how mental the wiring in this is, you'd hide it too....I'll post a pic. you will feel sorry for me. Thankfully it worked the first time I powered it up. If I had to debug this I probably would have slid it under the bed and cried.

Cole, the case was bought for $5 from a local salvage house. I've been waiting about 4 years for the right project to come along. The panel was salvaged from a piece of equipment that was getting thrown out. I cut it to size and drilled the holes. A lot the parts that went into this were saved from the trash. Like the weird jacks. those aren't banana. Has anyone seen them before?

I'll post some sounds soon if I can. I'm leaving for a week long trip friday. Can I post small Mp3's directly to this forum or should I link to an outside site?
Thanks again everyone
Peter F.

guts.jpg
 Description:
the horror...
 Filesize:  133.31 KB
 Viewed:  224 Time(s)

guts.jpg

flickr

Last edited by Photon on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
bugbrand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GUTS!

Freaking hell - that's a jungle!

shawn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You think you've seen art in those paper circuits? Take a look at the Cocolase board. It's a dual 8 bit digital delay/sampler with an 8 oscillator bank in the middle. Now mind you the insanity of those traces are on both sides! Really trippy just looking at it. Try removing the digital chips and replacing them (note they are surface mount). It was a CHORE (26 chips) but totally worth the price. There's a reason why he doesn't sell this in kit form. I got REAL lucky with this dead board(great deal). This thing is insane!

cocolase.jpg
 Description:
Cocolase Board.
 Filesize:  134.08 KB
 Viewed:  14098 Time(s)

cocolase.jpg

mark_olson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is really really nice.

I've spent a lot of time looking at the Rollz-5 on Peter's Web site with the feeling that it would almost certainly end up on my intimidatingly long list of projects-to-do. Now it seems inevitable.

Your realization of the design is intriguing. I would love to hear some samples. Just looking at the thing is pretty inspiring though, I must say.

Mark
para

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that is some amazing work.

_
zipzap

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is a fantastic post! i´m amazed. just spend some time on this homepage. never seen anything like this. Art.
great project, great page!
How can i imagine those "rolls of pulses"?
There are 3,4,6 roll sheets. What do they do exactly?
Do they make sound by themseves, or just with the swithed cab filters?
everything is explained, i just don´t know what 5 or 6 nodes means...
bit of a problem with a text like this:

Quote:
They are three, four, five, and six-noded versions of the same simple transistor circuit (figure 2). They cycle impulses, inverting polarity at each node; imagine a pulse oscillator flipping at a set frequency. From this humble base whole montages can be built by connecting nodes to nodes on other rolls (figure 3). I abstract the rolls as polygons; a square is a four-noded roll as a pentagon is five-noded. Connections can contain a resistance which softly melds two nodes together; a connection without resistance creates a new monad node.

shawn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

problem with the text? hell that's all of us. Try reading his fourses "papers"
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Imagine the classic astable made out of two transistors, two caps, and four resistors where one transistor turns on and statrts charging the other one and then back again etc. You must have seen this circuit before, yeah?

Well flip one of them out so that it turns on a third transistor, when it charges the cap it turns on a fourth, etc, etc. I think that's how he's done it.

zipzap

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Imagine the classic astable made out of two transistors, two caps, and four resistors where one transistor turns on and statrts charging the other one and then back again etc. You must have seen this circuit before, yeah?

oh yes. i have. man, those where the days... that was the first synth circuit i ever built.
so a 5 roll means that it outputs a pulsewave with a duty cycle of 1:5?

Mikmo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i build the "Sidrassi" from Petes site, actually a double with 20 domed brass nuts mounted on a clear acrylic ball with blue leds inside
it makes amazing sounds, it's really good for anything from terror noise to tapping out little rythmic figures. You can play very expressive stuff on it with a little pratice

goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

silent
Absolutely speechless. Just when i thought i could stop adding projects. Very cool construction Photon. Do you play out anywhere? It seems we are in very close proximity and would love to see this thing in person.
Photon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey thanks.
I used to play out a lot more. These days mostly just build stuff & record at home or play with friends.

-peter
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Photon wrote:
Like the weird jacks. those aren't banana. Has anyone seen them before?

Maybe, they look like test-pin jacks. Aka mini-banana. I've seen these for test measurements on old scientific instruments.

You are so lucky to have a salvage place like that near you! I find nice old equipment online, but the frugality is lost if I need to pay $50-$100 to get things shipped to me. I always dream about hitting a yard sale where some retired engineer has a garage full of this kind of stuff to get rid of.
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been away for a few days, I was actually going to start a topic on Peter's amazing circuits! He is definately a true original. I'd love to hear more audio of this stuff. I've been playing it safe with kits and small projects for a few years, but I've wondered why nobody seemed to be playing with transistors, norton amps, CMOS, and such to make complex and inexpensive non-pitched instruments. I first saw his web pages about a year ago but then I lost the address. His whole site makes for an amazing read.

I started making a Rollz-5 about a month ago, but had to put it off for a few weeks to do other things. I'm thinking about a modular type layout kind of like what you did. Only suitable case I have is 9"x17"x1.5" or so consumer stereo box, which is broken. Figured I might drill out the top of steel sheet to mount the hardware on. I've got bananas and small pots.

Real trick is deciding how much hardware I want to bring out! Thinking about using pots for the X, Y, and Z resistors. And switchable caps. So this is already a busy setup. I've decided to not drill out the case until I get a few circuits complete. I might not want pots for all of those resistor values, which would make things simpler. Also, I was thinking of using pots to try to "starve" the 9v power to the filters, like some people do with effect pedals, to see if this results in any interesting effects. And to make this feature creep complete, I need to wonder what happens with resistances between rolls, instead of connecting them straight

I made some component substitutions. I used 20k resistors instead of 22k everywhere just because I have a lot more of them. Used 2.2uF tantalum caps on the rolls instead of 1uF. The "hairy" caps are a weird assortment, I'll need to check them again. I wrote to Peter about these and I am still not clear.. Within each roll, do you use the same value caps? Or do you use different values within the circuit?
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shawn wrote:
You think you've seen art in those paper circuits? Take a look at the Cocolase board. It's a dual 8 bit digital delay/sampler with an 8 oscillator bank in the middle. Now mind you the insanity of those traces are on both sides! Really trippy just looking at it.

Yes, I do! I can't even imagine the Cocolase from what I've heard about it. But yes, the PCB is beautiful. A few pics I've seen of the Fourses and Fyrall boards have been amazing too. Any chances of a couple of big high-res pictures? Brilliant stuff.
sascha neudeck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Sidrassi Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I kept an eye on the ciat-lonbarde site since years now, and couldn´t resist to purchase the sidrassi organum.
maybe some of you are interested in a pic and sounds of it, I have
used for my recent net-release at con-v:
http://subtlenoisemaker.blogspot.com/

enjoy!
Sascha

Mikmo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Sascha

Very nice tracks, i really enjoyed listening to them

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: