electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
anything ever hapen with sound lab II
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
toybox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: anything ever hapen with sound lab II Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember reading some thing about it here but did the idea die
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm working on it Shocked
dannicool11

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

any idea/goal of when it would be ready? because i'm thinking about building a Sound Lab really soon (maybe after a month/few months)
for a summer-project.

would it be worth waiting for or do u recommend just building the first one and then later building the II ? lol
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dannicool11 wrote:
any idea/goal of when it would be ready?

Laughing

In the next millenium? Laughing

Why don't YOU have a go? Idea

oh yes, welcome to electro-music.com Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
dannicool11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha, Thanks, anyways.

I've started planning my Sound-Lab Synthesizer, and i was wondering, would it be possible to change it to polyphonic in the latter future ? like, maybe attach two of them together and get 2 voices as a result ? and also sharing the same CV and Line Out and all that . . ?

Oh yeah, and also, what's the simplest, absolutely simplest of all kinds of ways to hook it up with a small "built-in keyboard" . . ? would it be possible to take, say, an old Casio SK-1 and take the guts out and put the Sound-Lab inside and somehow connect it to the keyboard ? or is it alot more complex . . ?

the look im aiming for is something like this old synth:
***I'm not trying to clone this***
http://till-kopper.de/jen/jen_sx1000_overview_i.jpg

so i'd really need a built in keyboard

Sorry about my noob-ish questions, im new to this and this would be my first Electronics project, Although, i know alot about synthesis
a.b.o.z.

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes i'm starting my soundlab theese days and was also wondering is it posible to put keyboard of some casio keyboard to soundlab? i'm a bit noobish myself Smile
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a.b.o.z. wrote:
also wondering is it posible to put keyboard of some casio keyboard to soundlab?

The old synths used a resister ladder (just a series of matched resisters) to get the keyboard CV. This requires a key contact (switch) for each key.
Most of the little casio type keyboards use a scanned matrix or row/column system I think which would make it difficult to adapt.
The old style keyboard circuit also normally used 2 set of contacts, one for gate, one for cv. The CV needs buffering and a good Sample and hold circuit to stop the vco pitch jumping after the key is released.

It may work out more practical to build a DIY midi to CV and use a keyboard that has midi in/out/merge. That way you get velocity and the option to sequence the thing via midi. Some include 4 channel options so you could make a polyphonic sound lab later.

Polyphony sort of requires very good CV tracking to be useful.
a.b.o.z.

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh. cool. it's good to know.
thnx g2ian
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you can cram it all in, Ray has a scanning matrix keyboard page here:
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/KEYENCODERPCB/KBDMATRIX022005.html
I think its meant for five octaves, but less than that shouldn't be a problem.
-justin
dannicool11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wouldn't it also be possible to get a Casio SK-1 and a Midi Retrofit, and then a Midi to CV and so on . . ?

maybe some hard work,i 've seen some sk-1's with midi though on Ebay over the past months.

Is there no manufacturer that you know of that makes these types of keyboards (would be nice if they were small Cool ) for the public market ?

******* I'd really want this to be possible somehow, money is not the problem Rolling Eyes , say, i know its wayyy easier doing this with old keyboards from Organs from the 70's, My dad has an organ from the 70's and im NOT allowed to rip it apart haha. its kind of . .. . expensive. . .
know about any organ parts sites with some keyboards ?
i'd buy one for some bucks if it was what i am looking for.
I know some organs have these tiny boards on the top sometimes ( My dad's organ has one) i'd really like one like that hehe... *******

Huge thanks for the help ! Smile

EDIT: *** just show me the best way to have an in-built keyboard in my dream-synth! Smile I've also decided i'm just gonna keep it monophonic even if there is/would be some solution to making it a poly ***
sohcahtoa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can grab a midi keyboard for real cheap try your local pawn shop or thrift store. You should be able to pick one up for around 10 dollars.

A MIDI to CV converter can cost more between $50 for something like what Ray has on his site to around $100 dollars for the PAIA midi to cv, and it goes up from there I think I have seen some for around 1000 dollars.

Like wise you can also grab a midi usb keyboard that will work with you midi to cv but also with a computer out of the box, if you get one of those you can play around with some software synths like Reason and stuff from Artura.
dannicool11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have a midi controller, im not gonna *build* it in my synth cuz i use it for so much, i also have my other 2 synths and Electribe midi wired to my computer and all of that hehehe.

i want the keyboard built-in, i dont like module's that much (although i love some of them Very Happy) i just dont want to build a module i want to built ... a synth with a keyboard Very Happy hehe

http://www.haamu.com/btwsg.html

This dude has impressed me alot, really nice work there, if anyone could tell me how to do something similar to this (but on bigger scale since the Sound-Lab is alot bigger than the WSG . . . help me . . Very Happy

i dont want to control my future-built soundlab with another keyboard i want to be able to play . . the sound-lab it self Smile know what im sayin'

BUT.....maybe i could take a midi keyboard and change the layout like the keyboard of the Korg RADIAS, like the module is not connected
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dannicool11 wrote:
i was wondering, would it be possible to change it to polyphonic in the latter future ?

Making the soundlab polyphonic would be a major headf**k (especially as you would need to alter each control simultaneously). However it would be far better to run 2 in parallel with each other so you are playing two completely different sound sources at the same time.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
dannicool11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea, i sort of realized that after posting that haha, i even need a monosynth, i dont have a monosynth, sooo im getting a SoundLab, if someone helps me to figure out a nice way to put a built-in keyboard in it Crying or Very sad Laughing
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: