electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
&#$*%*&!!! DP 4.61 KILLING MY SOUL..please help!
Page 3 of 8 [186 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
...breathe....

I´m a bit oldfashioned you see. I always follow procedures and make sure I´ve done the right things in the right order. Very Happy

Discipline isn't a bad thing. With my old brain, I'd forget steps if I didn't do checklists.

Embarassed Wink

Speaking of checklists... Perhaps making one with specific steps will help our friend.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Digiton

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, gotchya Wink

so i just went to rebuild directory, and i haven't yet clicked replace because i don't know if this was the right thing to do....god im sounding like complete baby here. Sorry for being such a philistine.

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I kinda made an unstructured checklist I guess.. I´m getting old.

It would have been better to do this by chat I guess. Cool Laughing
Only problem is that Im busy doing some paperwork here. Laughing taxes...

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Digiton wrote:
ok, gotchya Wink

so i just went to rebuild directory, and i haven't yet clicked replace because i don't know if this was the right thing to do....god im sounding like complete baby here. Sorry for being such a philistine.

Nah.. it´s OK.. did you get any report of sorts? About errors found and stuff like that... ?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are sure that:

1. You managed to boot from the second drive.,
2. That you checked the right drive?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh shit, did my other post come up? I can see it....um, i said that all the results seemed rather petty. Icon flags, text encoding etc,
um, i am booted up from my external hard drive although i can try restarting again.......but i surely did click on the right drive, being there are only two really. It is my HD drive. Is this not what you expected?

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can save the report as a text file or a pdf file. try posting that one here. OK?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I need to see the report just to make sure we know what we are dealing with here. When all this is done hopefully we can get back to the DP prob.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i attached it...one thing that kind of fucked me up is that it says the disk does not appear on the desktop when it was on the desktop before i ran disk warrior. The desktop is universal, that term doesn't change meaning when a different startup disk is used, right?

Macintosh HD Report.pdf
 Description:
error report

Download
 Filename:  Macintosh HD Report.pdf
 Filesize:  44.05 KB
 Downloaded:  224 Time(s)

Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"to make sure we know what we are dealing, with here"

--Mulder, you might want to come have a look at this!!

Haa hell yeah, this turning into some x-files shit!

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm up for another 2 hours. After that I'll be on about 8 hours after that. I'm on UK summer time Wink

Digiton, once we know your drive is clean, we'll look at the DP project. I'd like you to try to pull the tracks out of the old project into a new one when your drive is given a clean bill of health.

I won't quote the DP manual about backing up and saving, because I've been caught out myself. Embarassed

Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What the hell can i do to thank you guys for all this?
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The report is looking good. Nothing exciting here. Just you go "rebuild".
But.. do not restart and boot into the old system just yet. While we are at it, we might just as well do some housecleaning.

EdisonREX.. stay around..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
I'm up for another 2 hours. After that I'll be on about 8 hours after that. I'm on UK summer time Wink

Digiton, once we know your drive is clean, we'll look at the DP project. I'd like you to try to pull the tracks out of the old project into a new one when your drive is given a clean bill of health.

I won't quote the DP manual about backing up and saving, because I've been caught out myself. Embarassed

WHile Digiton is at it, I was just about to suggest he manually cleans out his Users/Digiton/Library/Cache/

Unless... DP should for some reason want to manage its own cache items or whatever.

THink about it.. we could kill those other cache folders too as well.

Anyways, I want to suggest to Digiton to "check files" with DW.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

do you two like shostakovich?
i can send you some mp3's of his quartets? DAMN, i can't let you guys help me out like this for nothing! Seriously, I got some early aphex twin, squarepusher, some stravinsky.....ok, let me repair the directory and we get back to brass tacs.

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Digiton wrote:
What the hell can i do to thank you guys for all this?

BUy us a beer or 5..

Anyways.. while you are still in DW.. check files.. see that other tab.. run a check on that main drive.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i actually have a program called cache out that clears the cache files....see, i try!!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes should i run that too? Im just so confused by the abstraction of startup disks and directories that i feel like i am having an out of body experience right now......
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After I have gotten the results of the files check.. we will look at the caches..

You have 3 main places where files and shit are being cached. THis is a good thing, but clutter might build up a bit.. and some cached items just could be sick or corrupted. I dunno how DP uses this.

Killing the contents of the Caches folders is a smart move3 now and then.

- On your main drive.. not the one you are booting from now..

/Library/Caches/ - everything in here can go into the trash - unless EdisonRex is telling us something else..

same goes with

/Users/Digiton/Library/Caches/ ---- same...

Uh.. Keep the Caches folders.. but throw away what is inside.. while you are in here.. take a look around. You will see familiar names.. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know what I need? I need you to post more of your stuff. I listened to that thing you did on leafcutterjohn's site. I'd like to see what else you do. That'd pay me back. Wink

I don't need much, actually. Like elektro80 has been saying, deep breaths, calm down, we'll figure it all out and maybe save some other poor sod the trouble later.

When you get past the Mac stuff, and back to DP stuff, I'll be happy to walk with you.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
After I have gotten the results of the files check.. we will look at the caches..

You have 3 main places where files and shit are being cached. THis is a good thing, but clutter might build up a bit.. and some cached items just could be sick or corrupted. I dunno how DP uses this.

Killing the contents of the Caches folders is a smart move3 now and then.

- On your main drive.. not the one you are booting from now..

/Library/Caches/ - everything in here can go into the trash - unless EdisonRex is telling us something else..

same goes with

/Users/Digiton/Library/Caches/ ---- same...

Uh.. Keep the Caches folders.. but throw away what is inside.. while you are in here.. take a look around. You will see familiar names.. Very Happy

there is nothing in these directories that DP will not rebuild.

Digiton

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hit the "files tab on DW to run through my hard drive
aren't you kind of let down that it didn't find something nasty we could extract/work with?

if on system prefernces the ex drive is highlighted uner startup disk, does that mean that it booted from there?I guess i'm not 100% if i booted from the external drive...
i really wish more junk turned up from DW

i attached the report from the file repair just for the hell of it
i am now working with flushing out the cashes (not the folders though) Smile

Macintosh HD Report2.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Macintosh HD Report2.pdf
 Filesize:  25.03 KB
 Downloaded:  189 Time(s)

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We also have System/Library/Caches ...

trivia:
There is a very helpful but dangerous system tool called Onyx .. free.. http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/onyx.html

You can use this one for optimizing the system ( rebinding that is ), running maintenance scripts and c leaning caches.. and more.
DO NOT USE IT FOR STUFF YOU DON`T KNOW WHAT IS FOR... Laughing

Just you download it and install it whenever.. it is cool to have around.
The same stuff can also be done using the command line, but Onyx is often faster.

Remember Onyx. We will run a system rebinding session later on.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got it.. reading..

I´m actually pleased we didn´t find anything nasty. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In fact, I don't even see caches here for those.
That should say something...

DP does have preferences to tell you where to put temp files. I think we already touched on that when we were talking about the audio and analysis files.

When you get to the point where you can start DP again, we'll go there.

Page 3 of 8 [186 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: