electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
SN76477 Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Mike Walters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: SN76477 Question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm building a circuit based on the SN76477 chip, and I have a question derived from the "Sound Demonstrator Box" circuit that comes with the data sheet. I notice that many functions depend on two pins: with one a capacitor to ground, and the other a resistor to ground. For example, the LFO (or SLF it's called) is determined by pins 20 and 21. Pin 20 goes to a resistor, and pin 21 goes to a capacitor. I see there is an on/off switch on pin 20, but not pin 21. Can this switch be interchanged? If I don't have a switch on Pin 20, can I have the switch on pin 21 instead to disable the function?

Thanks!

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mike!

Long time no see Very Happy

PM Scott Stites- he's a man who knows a thing or two about the SN76477 Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't recall if I've ever tried it, but I suppose one could put a SPST between pin 21 and the cap - I'd think without the cap connected, you wouldn't get any SLF oscillation.

Maybe if Thomas H happens across this, he'll have better info(?).

Why is it you don't want the switch on pin 20?
Mike Walters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks all for the replies..

Well, the reason is I already have the capacitor sections wired to logic switches.. I could rearrange them the other way, but won't if that will work!!

I'll keep you all updated on the new project! I'm sure I'll have more SN questions soon Very Happy

Take Care,

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'd think without the cap connected, you wouldn't get any SLF oscillation.

You might want to be careful doing that. I have not really checked this out with my unit but here is a bit of theory that may change you mind and go with switching the resistor side instead.

The SLF is actually capable of oscillating to 20 kHz. The SLF frequancy equation is:

F=0.64/(Rslf*Cslf)

Without any capacitor connected, you have a high enough parasitic capacitance that will act along with the SLF resistor. The logic switches may even make the capacitance even larger. Since the SLF resistor can be as high as you need but greater than 7500 ohms there may be a chance that if the SLF resistor is high enough you may get an oscillation in the multi kilohertz range!

There is no data on the parasitic capacitance but it could be high enough to cause this to happen.

A little experiment would be to leave pin 21 open circuit and hang a variable resistor on pin 20 and keep increasing it until you get an oscillation. It would most likely need to be 2 meg or more.

for example, if we have aparasitic capacitance of 20 pF and a 2 MEG SLF resistor:

F=(.64/(2E6*20E-12))= 16 kHZ !!!

I am of course assuming what the parasitics would be, I am not really sure.

I would imagine that if you kept the SLF resistor value low enough to achieve your desired range of SLF frequancies, then you would not have to worry.

Just a thought.

This all came to mind because if you leave off the timing capacitor on some one-shot chips and just connect the timing resistor, a pulse is generated and is the product of R, (C_para) and some constant like 0.67 usually or.

Bill
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That thought did cross my mind, but I figured the connection would require one pad for the pin and a wire to the switch (there would be no need to connect the pad to anything else). Most of the capacitance would come from the wire, but it would have to be relatively long in this case to represent enough of a capacitance to worry about.

In any event, I would be rather use pin 20 myself.

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried it out with a simple application (the siren/raygun thing from the datasheet). I was using a skinny 76477 on a little carrier board, which would add even more capacitance, though I don't think it would matter much if it was on a PCB and soldered directly in- Yeah, stray capacitance is going to play a part.

In fact, it doesn't require a large value resistor on pin 20 to do it.

I buffered the signal at pin 1 so that I could observe it on a scope - with 2.1 M of resistance at pin 1, and no capacitor, just the wire going to the op amp buffer, the signal was 12.5 kHz, triangular.

If I changed the resistance at pin 20 to 100K, the signal was (get this) a whopping 71.4 kHz (far above the 20 kHz in the data sheet). This signal was a pulse wave with a period of 14 us; the duty cycle was largely on with a short off spike.

I was using a 100K pot at this point, so I dialed it all the way down to ground, and the signal at pin 21 increased in frequency and distorted in shape until it became mostly noise.

Long and short of it is, if there isn't infinite impedance at pin 20 (IE, no connected resistor), any minute bit of capacitance on pin 21 is going to have an effect. It's definitely not, in any case, going to cause the same effect as disconnecting pin 20. If you disconnect pin 20 from the resistor, the VCO pitch will stay the same. If you disconnect pin 21 from the capacitor, the pitch is going to rise.

Now, having said all that - I found the effect of it to be actually rather cool, and makes a great noise/bleep box application. An LFO at the above rates (well, it ain't an LFO any more) modulating the carrier turns adjusting the VCO rate into a series of steps rather than a smooth glide. Sounds pretty cool. The really neat stuff, if one made sure to take ESD precautions, would be connecting pin 21 to a touch plate through a switch.

Switching the connection to a touch place initially will raise the frequency of the signal output. Barely touching the touch plate will lower the frequency. and putting more pressure (IE, applying more surface area of the finger/unnamed body part) will cause a more dramatic bend in frequency. It can make the VCO quite expressive.

I had to wonder if that oscillation was taxing the 76477 - I measured the current draw of the circuit with the capacitor in place at 10 mA. Disconnecting the cap and throwing the LFO into high freq oscillation didn't move the digit on the DMM one bit (though the lowest reading it can take is 10 mA).

Cheers,
Scott
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well Scott your empirical evidence resulting from this experiment, and a wonderful experiment I think, proves my theory about the high frequency oscillation.

The good that came of all this is you stumbled on a really cool application by the possibility of using touch plates as variable capacitance control for frequency modulating the VCO ! Very Happy

A word about parasitics, your correct when saying that the wires and carriers and such add parasitic capacitance but also the device itself will have a finite amount of input capacitance from the bond out wires inside the chip and the semiconductor device itself. So you have:

C_parasitic_total= C_ext_wires + C_carrier + C_int_bond wires + C_chip_semiconductor
r

Thus, for a known resistance and measured SLF Fout, we can very well calculate what this above capacitance by algebraically rearranging the simple equation and solving for C.

C_total = [C_ext_wires + C_carrier + C_int_bond wires + C_chip_semiconductor] = [0.64/(F_out * R_slf)]

I was surprised when you said you are getting about 70 KHz from the LFO (SLF) oscillator! Hmmm, another exponential converter and you have two oscillators on hand for two part harmony .... Wink

I suppose one can draw there own conclusions from all of this and expand even further using this IC; while they are still around ....... Wink

Chat later,
Bill
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
while they are still around ....... Wink

parasetic capacitancy is a serious health issue Laughing

Sorry Very Happy It's just nice to read articles like above, that's what I mean to say.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Knowing the top end of the SN76477 LFO was spec'ed at 20 kHz made me ignore the internal parasitic capacitance - generally it's a pretty low value, and would be beyond the range of 20 kHz in conjunction with even a quite large resistor.

I can only imagine the reason why it's speced at 20 kHz is that it most likely maintains a triangular waveshape up to 20 kHz. It obviously doesn't mean it still won't oscillate at higher frequencies than that.

I think the fact that it maintained a triangular waveshape below 20 kHz does prove that the extra capacitance of the breadboard, wire, etc did have more of an effect than I predicted, though.

I should probably not answer questions - I'm never sure of anything unless I breadboard.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
parasetic capacitancy is a serious health issue

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I should probably not answer questions - I'm never sure of anything unless I breadboard.

Simulations and mathematical modeling are good things and allow reasonable predictions but the good old breadboard is the way to go. Very Happy

Modern designs are so vastly complex, for example digital designs with over a million gates or more (SOC or systems on chip), they need to be simulated before any hardware is built. The design is synthesized then placed and routed along with the users timing and utilization constraints. A post "place and route" functional simulation can then be executed in the computer. The output looks as though you are looking at an logic analyzers display but it is the simulators output. You usually get reliable results without building any hardware but you really have to know how to simulate your design. This is usually how ASIC's (application specific integrated circuits) are designed so you really have to make sure your design will work before you commit. The FPGA's are taking over some of these ASIC functions but very high volume consumer electronic use cheaper ASIC's in large volumes. Like MP3 players and DVD players and computer hard drives.

I don't want to get to OT here ... sorry ......

More later.
Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I can only imagine the reason why it's speced at 20 kHz is that it most likely maintains a triangular waveshape up to 20 kHz. It obviously doesn't mean it still won't oscillate at higher frequencies than that.

Quite right there sir! Sometimes circuits are conservatively specified but can attain greater performance ..... look at all the digital over clocking that goes on with personal computers in the last several years! I personally don't over clock anything I spend good money on. I certainly don't over clock my music rig to run just "one more plug-in" My luck, my computer will crash and burn during a set Shocked

Bill
ickystay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In Thomas Henry's reprints, he mentions tapping a triangle wave from the lfo off pin 21. It shows up buffered and "beefed-up" in his Super Controller circuit.
CJ Miller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
Since the SLF resistor can be as high as you need but greater than 7500 ohms there may be a chance that if the SLF resistor is high enough you may get an oscillation in the multi kilohertz range!

Great, so I can use it to clock those wavetable circuits I've been dreaming about! >;]P Hey, might try it!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
In Thomas Henry's reprints, he mentions tapping a triangle wave from the lfo off pin 21. It shows up buffered and "beefed-up" in his Super Controller circuit.

The SN Voice also taps pin 21, SLF capacitor, and runs that into a X4 non-inverting amplifier using an LF444.

Bill
Mike Walters

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool.. thanks for all the great info! I think I'll map the logic switches to the resistor pins instead Smile
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Cool.. thanks for all the great info! I think I'll map the logic switches to the resistor pins instead

Glad we could help out. I like your website and your biography !! I also noticed you have been influenced by Raymond Scott! I am sure you know by now that another compilation of his electronic works will be released in the, near I hope, future.

Read about it here .....

http://raymondscott.com/News.html

Bill
Mike Walters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I didn't know about a new Raymond Scott compilation! That's great news.

A couple of years ago, my wife's grandparents gave me a bunch of 78's, one including an old Raymond Scott big band record. I finally recorded it and put it on a CD for them, and gave it to them last weekend. They really enjoyed it after not hearing it for 60 or 70 years!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: