electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
ELECTRO-MUSIC.COM CD COMPILATION
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha! No profit? But then how will the experience you have from that release translate to this context? How will Howard be able to get some profit from this?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, we gave away about 150 copies and we had a lot of expenses, as my own label 'spiralrecordings' had to pay for all the advertising and concert promotion out of our own pockets..

and magazine ad runs about 1500 dollars US for a decent size etc etc [ohyeah and that is the only way some publications will consider reviewing your cd..you have to bribe them basically]

but, in this case of electro-music.com the expenses would be very very low as none of this would have to takeplace

just some mailing costs to radio/magazines and cd'r duplication costs...

not sure if the profits will roll in hand over fist, but it might hep pay for a month or two of bandwidth

Static Strobe Emitter

Audio files: 243

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love the idea of electro-music.com compilation,
it sounds very fun Very Happy

Just tell me what to do ;D

Mosc and the rest of the crew will have my fully support, no doubt Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could do the CDR duplication if needed Howard - I have the equipment to do that and I am pretty close to where you are - you could stop buy and check things out. The disc printing would be the possible issue - I have thermal disk printers that work great for mono-color print (you can get shading with it though) Color print is possible but very fussy. The costs are pretty reasonable for it as well. Inserts would be 2 panel /4 page for the front booklet. Anything more and I would recommend going to a print shop and getting it done....which means minimum quantities will have to be ordered to make it cost effective.

I would recommend 2 "projects" - a sampler of disks available at the Electro-music website (these could be CDR or manufactured) AND a compilation disk for the members material (CDR). I had a song put on the 2nd Gold-Tri compilation disk and the guidelines for the submissions was the song could not be longer then 6 minutes...it was a dual CD project and I thought it came out well. It was a manufactured disk set - not CDR though.

Just my $.02..........now back to my nap....

Dave
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lot's of good thoughts and ideas in these posts. Dave, what were the T&Cs of that compilation? Did the artist put up money? Did you sign something giving the rights of your song to them? Anything else relevant?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let's see if I can remember... All of the rights to the compositions remained the property of the Artist. The artists were granting permission for "Stonk" records or whatever they were to distribute/sell the CD's with no money due the Artists. Basically the Artists were getting promotion instead of royalties from mechanical sales. The contributers were able to purchase the CD's for $10/each and you needed to let them know how many you wanted in advance. Once they had enough people committed to purchasing the disks they went ahead with reviewing submissions and production. I seem to remember several of the disks being left over - some of which were sent to some E-music distributers or magazines...I don't remember all the details. Basically the Artist retained ownership of the song - Stonk got the money from the CD sales. I was not too concerned about making anything off of it - I wanted to see my music on the same disk as Free System Project and Paul Nagel, as well as others.. Each Artist had a short bio-paragraph as well. It was fun. The group that put this together were members of the Golden Triangle internet mailing list.

Dave
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
The group that put this together were members of the Golden Triangle internet mailing list.
GoldTri, as some of you might know, died a horrible death when its members abandoned it in droves after Beyond_EM was created. But the CDs were great! The Special Focus on EMUSIC in November, 1999, was, in fact, both GoldTri releases.

To date, Beyond_EM has only created one CD compilation. It is very good, too, imo. Paul Ellis organized it and NeuHarmony (Dave Law's UK EM label) released it.

Cheers,

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: I agree! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree TOTALLY with "Sudden", who said,

"i think i am beginning to see why this idea of a compilation get sidetracked, derailed

keep it simple

members send in free tracks as donations to mosc

make cd'rs on demand for anyone who buys it at the store

send some cd'rs to radio stations/publications, send them to the website

that's it..

anything else is a headache and not worth the words

-----------------------

IMHO, it seems like everyone's trying to make this project much more complex than it needs to be!

Norm

Normusic !

FaceDancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you need a cover[/url]

L'homme à l'harmonica version.jpg
 Description:
may be i can do something for you
 Filesize:  28.39 KB
 Viewed:  9909 Time(s)

L'homme à l'harmonica version.jpg

aquanaut

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have to define some boundaries or a model. ex: no synth...under 100 bpm...no sound over 20k... 4:00 maximum...you have to have some male vocals in there...compound meter only (6/8..)...style: musique concrete, ambiant, trip hop.....you have to have one of those vacuum cleaner sample...tempo change somewhere. we could also have a fixed librairy of field recording sounds (50). You send the piece under a different name, so no one knows who's who.

a bit like a game. You know like when a bunch of comedian do improv. you have a theme...numbers of player...in the style of...a fixed time. something like that.

This has to be fun to create and to publish, if not forget it.
LoKi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aquanaut wrote:
You have to define some boundaries or a model. ex: no synth...under 100 bpm...no sound over 20k... 4:00 maximum...you have to have some male vocals in there...compound meter only (6/8..)...style: musique concrete, ambiant, trip hop.....you have to have one of those vacuum cleaner sample...tempo change somewhere. we could also have a fixed librairy of field recording sounds (50). You send the piece under a different name, so no one knows who's who.

a bit like a game. You know like when a bunch of comedian do improv. you have a theme...numbers of player...in the style of...a fixed time. something like that.

This has to be fun to create and to publish, if not forget it.

This sounds like fun - as another project maybe?
I think I might have some trouble reaching some of those technical requirements - like what is a compound meter??? Shocked

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LoKi wrote:
what is a compound meter??? Shocked

Quote:
Meter in which each beat is divisible by three rather than two

arrow http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/textc/Compoundmeter.html

Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
LoKi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Seraph! thanks

Pretty useful site too!
(especially for those of us without a formal musical education!)

Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: