electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Various Artists ~ 2014 Autumnal Equinox ~ live streaming radio ~
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
New Nord G2X & OSX compatibility
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: New Nord G2X & OSX compatibility Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clavia Announces 5 Octave G2 and OSX Capability

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://www.clavia.se/News/G2XandOSX.htm

www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent news!!!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 125
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I edited this post a bit. :

Great news about OSX and the 5 8va keyboard is great. I'm for sure gonna get one, but I just lost money buying the 3 8va board. Yikes!!!
Evil or Very Mad mad, short circuit hobo drinking

Last edited by mosc on Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this is excellent news, but at the same time a bit of a slap in the face for people who might just order the three octave keyboard. I understand that Clavia intially maybe wasn't thinking of releasing a version of the keyboard like the new G2X. But releasing the G2X with additional fetures so soon after the other might cause some upset people around the world. I was just about to order the G2 3 oct, but luckly I decided to wait a little until it has been out for a while and the first problems has been dealt with. Naturally this is a two sided issue where we first want new and better fetures in the Nord products, and on the other hand we don't want to buy something one day and the next a new model is presented.
All in all this might provide people with two products which takes in consideration easier portability vs. more keys. I will wait for the G2X because I want more keys. Clavia say July, but that might mean December. My wait for the Nord Modular will now be longer, but from what have heard from this sites members and other sites it will be worth while.
TEE
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tee, you wrapped it up perfectly. I'm trying to decide whether to cancel my order for the expander board for my G2. I'll have to sell my G2 to get the G2X and it will be a money loser.

Still, Clavia should have announced an intention to sell a 5 octave version.

If I was a potential customer for the engine, I might wonder if it was better to wait for a version with no keyboard and just knobs. That's what I really want.

Well, I've come to like that little pitch stick.

Also, the engine makes sense if you want more polyphony. One could use the G2 keyboard's controllers with a G2 engine.

I wonder what Shoshin thinks of all this? One G2, one G2X - 2 G2s, 2 G2Xs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mosc,
Have you heard some buzz about an engine with knobs, or is just speculations due to the fact of the what happened to the G2? The old NM didn't that one have an engine with knobs?
TEE
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just speculating. Obviously, nobody hears anything from Clavia before it happens. You'd think they would have announced an OSX editor was in the future when they announced the G2.

Actually, Rob has said that they aren't going to make an engine with knobs. He doens't work for Clavia, but he has a close relationship with those guys.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks to me like the G2X is pretty much a "Nord Lead 4"....think about it...the nord leads were based off the original modular with live performance and keyboardists in mind, as evident from the extra octaves and the control scheme. Since Clavia designed the new modular G2 with live performance in mind, creating a whole other synth in the form of another Nord Lead would be redundant. So instead, they're adding extra octaves and effectively addressing two markets with one synth (the modelers and all sorts of live performers). I think this is a good example of that "swedish efficiency" Clavia has become known for. Also, I do not think of it as a "slap in the face" to those who already bought a G2, just consideration of those who use Nord Leads and want the new capabilities of the G2 at their fingers' disposal in addition to those extra octaves. Although those extra mod wheels on the G2 would be kinda nice... Rolling Eyes
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 212

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I wonder what Shoshin thinks of all this? One G2, one G2X - 2 G2s, 2 G2Xs?

very cool

Well -my order for 2 G2s is still pending, since the distributor here hasn't yet recieved a new batch of them.

I really want to get down to work, so I'm right now mulling things over in my head: Get the 2 G2s (with the expansions) now, or wait till summer (or even later -you know how things go) for the G2X. scratch

Erm... of course, I mean two G2X elephant

Actually, it's the 2 additional modwheels which are of serious consideration for me. That's really an improvement. Otherwise, I actually prefer the 3-octave keyboard, as it's so cutey.

And pricewise, it isn't that much of a difference.

Oh Clavia -why are you doing this?? (shoshin vs. Hans Nordelius: )

Hmm -what should I do.... damn... Rolling Eyes

I'll guess I'll change my order. And wait till July... (hopefully)...

I mean, let's face it: It HAD to come. The G2 concept is so great that it makes a good NordLead4 too.

cheers,

huffcw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would say there is a pretty good price difference between the G2 and the G2X.

In the U.S., the MSRP for the G2X is $2,999, and for the G2 it is $2,299.

So, you get an expansion board, a couple of extra octaves, a couple of extra mod wheels and a microphone for $700. I guess it seems like a reasonable amount more for those things, but I wouldn't say it is a small difference.

Also, so far it seems like dealers are less inclined to give as big of discount off the MSRP on the G2X (from calling around a few places). This may be because stores anticipate a good amount of demand for the initial release, but not much supply (like what has happened with the G2). So, they can get away with selling them without offering much of a discount.

I personally would not wait around for the G2X (if I didn't already own a G2). Clavia seems to like to communicate unrealistic release dates and you could be waiting a year to get a G2X (this is really annoying to me Evil or Very Mad - hopefully this time the release date is more realistic). Time is definitely worth something - it wouldn't be worth it to me to wait and not have the advantage of using the G2 over the period of time I would be waiting for the G2X to come.

Last edited by huffcw on Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The expansionboard official price is 445 euro. I guess shops will sell them for 399 euro. Don't know if this is with or without VAT taxes.
huffcw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Music stores in the U.S. are offering the expansion for $299.
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Question
can you tell me where?
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just wanted to add, that -as you can see from my posts in the patch archive- I've opted for the "normal" G2 after all.

Although I had called to cancel my order in favor of waiting for the G2X, they sent them anyway by mistake. And as I saw the boxes in front of me, I couldn't resist anymore love

....and I've come to the conclusion that I actually prefer the smaller G2! Modular synthesis is a nocturnal time consuming (wine consuming? Wink) activity, which is best done in a cozy place, on a proper desk next to a PC, slouched in a comfortable chair (and some Bordeaux in arms reach). This is where the "normal" G2 shines -it's so cute and small, portable and desktop-friendly. The 5 octave X version is too bulky for me.

The 3-octave keyboards act only as a secondary manuals in my setup anyway. I use Roland A-37 as main controllers. And who needs those extra modwheels anyway, if you come to think of it? Since they don't have a display that shows what they control, it's probably just going to add confusion...

...so, the expansions are ordered and on their way. I'll stick to these small cutes love

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shoshin wrote:
...so, the expansions are ordered and on their way. I'll stick to these small cutes love

Same here. I'm quite content with the G2, until the G2X+ comes out, that is. Laughing
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hee hee albino

or the G2XL+ (limited edition)

Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: