electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Logo -- Howz dis ????
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Logo -- Howz dis ???? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's an idea for a logo; whatcha think? Norm

Normusic !

zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my personal opinion, your logo has simplicity (which is a necessary objective in pictures), but the style doesn't quite strike me as e-m.com. Maybe a "smoother" font, maybe a "cool" color? Please do not take my words as insulting or "snooty", I aim only for constructive criticism and helpful info in my opinions. Also, I'm sure any constructive effort toward this site is greatly appreciated, so thanks on behalf!
(PS: might I suggest posting more here? http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-1855.html&start=25 its just a similar thread.)

Last edited by zynthetix on Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like that one. What font is that? Free hand?

Thanks for your contibution.

I like the red. Can you integrate the electro-music.com electro-blue?

How about a symbol?

Oh, moving this to electro-music.com forum, more appropriate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Logo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, all!

First off, i personally don't like "smoother fonts" -- i'm quite tired of seeing "teletype" fonts used in electronic music!

This is more "primitive", more "mysterious"......sort of like a pasted-together ransom note....if you get my drift.....

I tried using the electro-blue, but it doesn't show up very well against the black.....mebbe i'll create one that changes color!

The font is Paint Shop Pro "Matisse ITC".

Not sure what kind of "symbol" you mean? An electronic symbol, or o-scope waves?

I can never seem to find these other forums! The "Schmoose" no longer exists, from what *I* can see!

Btw...i use this in all MY logos! I like "different" things!

Norm

Normusic !

Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Here's a "flickering" one...... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Normusic !

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Logo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Norm Vogel wrote:
I like "different" things!

Well, I guess I never thought of you as conventional. Laughing

Symbol, yes something geometric, maybe resembling a waveform. Something that is very simple and can be reduced to pretty small size, like an emoticon.

Schmooze exists. Go to the forum index, http://electro-music.com/forum/forums.html and then count down eight (Cool forums.

Last edited by mosc on Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Logo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

Well, I guess I never thought of you as conventional. Laughing

Symbol, yes something geometric, maybe resembling a waveform. Something that is very simple and can be reduced to pretty small size, like an emoticon.

Schmooze exists. Go to the forum index, http://electro-music.com/forum/forums.html and then count down eight (Cool forums.

"Conformity is DEformity"! Laughing

That's the tuff part -- something so small that it's still recogniseable....hmmmm....gotta give THAT one a "good think"!

What I designed is something for people to put on their webpages, as opposed to an emoticon.

Re:Forums.....sometimes, when i log on, all i see is forums for Amy X. Neuberg, composers (incl. yourself), community news, and nothing else!

No "schmoose", etc.......(listen to the Twilight Zone music going thru your head....doo-doo-DOO-doo, doo-doo-DOO-doo,).

Norm

Normusic !

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Norm, sound like we have a problem. I want ot solve this.

When you click on this link, http://electro-music.com/forum you don't see a list of forums starting with News, a bunch of sub-forums, then Reviews, etc?
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Norm's logo lacks the sophistication that would attract the "old school" crowd. This logo (especially the flashing one) suggests a younger dance music group. I hope I haven't offended anyone here.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Hi ! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
Norm's logo lacks the sophistication that would attract the "old school" crowd. This logo (especially the flashing one) suggests a younger dance music group. I hope I haven't offended anyone here.

No, you haven't offended me.....not in the least! But, i AM "old skool" !

I started in electronic music in the late 60's......my first 2 synths were (new) Roland SH-1000 and and Octave Cat (wish i still had THAT one!).

I went to Rutgers U. in the early 70's, and attended electronic music classes....the first "pro" synth i ever used was a spankin' new ARP 2500 !!!!
(translation: "GOD"!).

WALTER Carlo's "Switched-On Bach" turned me on (no pun intended) to moog lps, and i still have 'em all!

It's a matter of perception -- WE were the first "rock 'n roll generation"...our parents HATED IT, and now, WE'RE becoming our parents (!) and dislike the new "rock n' roll". (A lot of it is garbage, but there's SOME really good stuff out there....IF you give it a chance! You have to "break the mold"). Same with e-music -- i'm soo "old skool" that i don't even use MIDI! I've given the NEW e-music a chance, and found a lot of great stuff NOW, too! (Covenant, Wolfsheim, Mesh, De/vision, Blutengel, etc).

I guess i'm just "young at heart"! Laughing
Norm

Normusic !

Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: sophistication? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Sophistication"? What's THAT?!?!?!?!?! LOLPIP (no emoticon for THAT one!). Wink

Norm

Normusic !

jkn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Creating a logo is very tricky and hard to do. (Heck - I've been trying to nail down one for quite awhile now - and still not quite there.)

Personally, I don't care for the font or the red on black - the color scheme so far has been blue on white - this would be a drastic change. The font... eh - I just don't care for it. Nothing truly wrong with it - it just doesn't 'work' for me. I agree with your thoughts on trying to get away from the typical fonts that are heavily used - it's just difficult to do.

The one thing that I truly do hate though - is flashing logos... please please - don't go there!

If you want to see the version of the logo I've been working on (not for e-m) - click here http://www.relaxedmachinery.com - and then enter the site. It's on the upper left. I dropped you on the root page since that image is the gear that I'll eventually translate into the logo in some way. I can spend a lot of time saying why that logo isn't going to be the one - but I won't bore you with it... Wink

Eh - this one might be closer to what I'm wanting: http://www.johei.com/gallery/rxm/logodraft1
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jkn wrote:
Personally, I don't care for the font or the red on black - the color scheme so far has been blue on white - this would be a drastic change. The font... eh - I just don't care for it. Nothing truly wrong with it - it just doesn't 'work' for me. I agree with your thoughts on trying to get away from the typical fonts that are heavily used - it's just difficult to do.

The one thing that I truly do hate though - is flashing logos... please please - don't go there!

*I* kinda like red on black......as Monty Python would say, "INTERCOURSE the color scheme!".

What's wrong with "drastic change"? Give a listen to Einsturzende Neubaten if u want drastic change!

"Flashing Logo's?" I think i'll keep it....just BECAUSE it annoys people! LOL!

I checked out your logos.....no offense, but the one with the gear looks like a "corporation" logo!

Norm

Normusic !

paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heheh

'Logo Battles'

Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: ZEN Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Learn the Rules; then FORGET the Rules!"

-- Zen quote

Norm

Normusic !

Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Howard....... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Somehow, i've gotten the site bookmarked as

http://electro-music.com/phpBB2/forums.html?sid=6ff85fef62cbf4c9d74f5f9e751c00d4

When i go there, it starts off with "artists", and not much else!

Norm

Normusic !

jkn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No offense taken - or sent your way either... Smile

Drastic change comment - if the site is changing totally to a new color scheme - that's a different story - if you're wanting to slap a red on black (or a flashing thingy) on top of the blue on white... I disagree - it just doesn't sit well. (I used to be quite an Einsturzende Neubauten fan, by the way...although I lost track a bit after Haus der Luge.)

Logos say something about the thing they represent. I'm not a long standing member of e-m, and maybe I've missed something along the way, but this version of the logo doesn't seem to be it.

My logo - eh - that's a different matter. Yeah - looks a bit corporate - I don't mind that connotation at all. This version is not "it" (whatever it is...but I'll know when I get there) - but it's close to "it" - if that makes any sense at all.

Oh - back to flashing logos - I think it's just because I've see so many websites that had things like this around the mid - late 90's... I'm more minimal, maybe subtle - I'm not about clashing and drastic change I guess. Never really was. That has nothing to do with whether that image fits the site - heck - my vote probably doesn't count anyway. Smile
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: THE logo? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, NO ONE is gonna come up with a logo that everyone will agree on......we're all Individualists, and such a thing would be like "trying to herd CATS"!

I think that everyone should design their own, and place it on their em sites......the Main Thing is to give THIS SITE some publicity!

Norm

Normusic !

jkn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't disagree with you on that one...

Darn fine movie collection you have.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Howard....... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Norm Vogel wrote:

http://electro-music.com/phpBB2/forums.html?sid=6ff85fef62cbf4c9d74f5f9e751c00d4

Norm

Yikes, that was an old link - very old. I just removed it so you'll get a "not found" Use this link for a bookmark http://electro-music.com/forum
Thanks for explaining it to me. Embarassed
Norm Vogel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Howard....... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Norm Vogel wrote:

Norm

Yikes, that was an old link - very old. I just removed it so you'll get a "not found" Use this link for a bookmark http://electro-music.com/forum
Thanks for explaining it to me. Embarassed

Well, i've been a member for a LONG time! Very Happy

Well, i've got MY logo up!

Thank you for your remarks on my old movie collection......i've been collecting since vcrs first came out!

Norm

Normusic !

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, thanks for putting up the electro-music.com on your site.

I picked the electro-blue color carefully. This site is not trendy. The look is simple, contemporary, and intentionally not artsy. An bold artistic statement would probalby turn off some people who might otherwise participate here. The logo at the top of the page is not just straight text, there was some bending and a little masking. It's really not a logo, but a text mark.

I didn't think at the time I designed it about how it would look on a black background, such as on a tee shirt. Maybe all that's needed for that application is to increase the lightness of the color.

I think some sort of symbol that would sit in front of the text mark, about the size of the "m" character would look nice, and it could be a short hand representation for electro-music.com.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suggest that the logo is the actual typographic solution you have now, but the color schemes might vary.. The site should be blue/whitish as it is now. Are you able to outline the current logo in like.. hmm.. Corel Draw.. and export it as an EPS file?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, maybe expanding the current text and making a white background so it might be put on a Tee shirt.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just you get the current logo outlined and into eps format... Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: