electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Arturia Synths
Arturia MMV Massive Bug List
Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
dalekay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
From the message on their website, it doesn't appear that they have done any bug updates.

took the night off and did not look .. maybe this weekend I will download and install.. thanks Mark

dale

Patchmouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Arturia bugs ?
Subject description: Saving sounds.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I love the MMV, and it's better than not having a real one, or anything at all.
I see that you mentioned about loosing your sound, when saving and loading it up again, this has happened to me more than once. Another strange fault occurs (occasionally) when I try and just name a sound, the whole application disappears of the screen, but only when I try and name a sound, I've lost a lot of good patches this way.
I also have the Arturia ARP2600, which I find is a lot less stable the the MMV. I would say that unless you have A REALLY POWERFUL COMPUTER these programs shouldn't be used at all, they need a hell of a lot of graphics's power just to keep them on the screen, let alone get audio out of them, especially the ARP2600.
I have a 1gig Pentium with 500mb of RAM and thats just enough. I plan to get a more powerful PC in the near future as I feel I'm not getting the best out of this software at the moment. But the bugs I mentioned above have nothing to do with my computer, I've loaded the ARP and the Moog on my other PC and my laptop, and the same faults are still there. These are really great programs when there working properly, but Arturia really need to sort out these annoying bugs, pronto.

Patchmouse.
dalekay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might have hit the nail on the head.. That does sound like a min system .. I have had the same thing, lost patches on naming them etc.. Each time I kicked my self in the rear as I could have done a screen capture then go back and re-do ... also noted, each time, I was low on memory ... I had too many things opened ...
I have taken a different and more time eating approach. If I am going to use MMV in the tracks, I make sure all things are closed not needed. I load it stand alone if I am going to alter a patch or something new in mind. Then save it. I don't think it has ever crashed doing it this way on me. Yes in Project 5 or Sonar 4 with other softsynths in tow...
then work out what I want, open Sonar, record what I want. yea .. a pain when you want to do something more on the spur but until I make a better system, I fear and know, crashes will happen and tear into my creativity more. Just what I have seen ... Might be hardware coflicts, software and so on ... but I just going to say, after trying all kinds of things to fix, look at etc.. with what I got, I am going to be lazy now and say screw it, take the path that seems to work, above and deal with ... I am not saying I am happy with this ... but I could go out and spend mega dollar, get the real thing or improve the system I am working with etc... just I choose to live with that and I did buy something else ... so I can't whine really ... Rolling Eyes
Someday, I am sure it will all work out ... Wink

dale

Inquisitor Betrayer
New CD "Space Elevator" Get it at http://cdbaby.com/cd/inquisitorbetrayer,
http://www.inquisitorbetrayer.com , http://www.myspace.com/inquisitorbetrayer ,
http://www.musicforte.com/member/ib_staff
Apple iTunes http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=200365877
Podcast http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=204307934

Angel's Wings
myspace.com/lorrainekay

New synth programming group for all synths.
Synth_Programming-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Escuchen a los Inquisitor - Musica para Inteligentes.
Patchmouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: MMV
Subject description: Crashing ?

Hi Dale, I don't have the option to even think about buying the real thing !! thats a dream and will remain so.
Your right about making sure that the minimum amount of processes are running at the same time as using MMV, I take this to the extreme, and don't even use my Arturia computer for anything else ! Its just a soft synth host, and I do all of my recording on my stand alone CD recorder, then load my music back into my computer for editing in Samplitude. Its a very safe way of working, so far.
I was so happy when i first got MMV, and the ARP, but now the shine has worn off as I discover new bugs on a regular basis. These programs aren't exactly cheap, at just over £100 GBP($200 USD) my Audiomulch cost under half the price and seems very stable indeed, touch wood.

Take care,

Patchmouse.
dalekay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know ... the stuff isn't cheap... then you have to deal with the problems ...

I even talked to them at the Winter Namm but ... I refrain ... anyway, I set up a XP box that is a softsynth host for Reaktor and other things...
the hardware was a DSI PEK and a few guitars and a crystal flute .. Wink
I choose to go that way to fill a need than go another ... modular for example ... till things sort out, I just felt I could make better use of some hardware expressed above with the software ..

Now my XP box, it's a old system I upgraded enough to run a few things ..
Several other NI items will reside there too, freeing up the main DAW ... I'll just midi over to the XP box... I added a presonus firebox to it ... that gives me the best I could do with what funds etc... that fit .. for sound out .. heck no big deal networking in the studio .. when I have time I will add a better system and upgrade the hardware more ...
Yep I am not a real happy camper with Arturia but I use it as best as I can with all it's problems etc... could be better ... but I am not holding my breath ... it does cast a shadow on further Arturia purchases here from me ... I am not all that happy with NI and it's support either but my problems reside more on hardware that does not work with them than NI fault unless you consider, they could just tell you and not spend months going back and forth ..... that is the frustation ... Rolling Eyes

dale
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With Arturia's lack of support with their software products, it makes me wonder what kind of customer support they'll have for their new Origin hardware.
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
dalekay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mohoyoho wrote:
With Arturia's lack of support with their software products, it makes me wonder what kind of customer support they'll have for their new Origin hardware.

Embarassed

dale --->(little to no faith and may not buy that ) I did tell you what I saw on the Juno emulation right? Was a sad NAMM showing ...
Patchmouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Arturia
Subject description: Arturia...yet again..

Hi Dale, ha ha !! I've emailed Arturia twice, with no reply at all.
Unlike the chaps at Audiomulch, who couldn't be more helpful. And Doepfer customer service is legendary, next day replies or same day replies are not unusual.
I'm like you, I'm battling on with my Arturia stuff anyway, and my old XP computers, and fending off Vista !

Take care,

Tony.
dalekay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Arturia

patchmouse wrote:
Unlike the chaps at Audiomulch, who couldn't be more helpful. And Doepfer customer service is legendary, next day replies or same day replies are not unusual.
I'm like you, I'm battling on with my Arturia stuff anyway, and my old XP computers, and fending off Vista !

Take care,

Tony.

Many other places are far more pro active, reactive and seem to convey that genuine interest in their customers ... Cool
Is Doepfer still only one source in the US? or did they diversify?

dale
elhardt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been a long while since I've been here. Just before going offline a couple of weeks I saw the post that said the update of MMV didn't correct any of the bugs. So I figured that question was answered already.

What's needed is a boycott of Arturia until they fix their software. I should be more active in writing bad reviews and posting the MMV bug list all over the internet. I just wish I could get others to create a comprehensive CS80V (and other products) bug list, to scare people away. Unless it affects their wallet, all they want to do is forget about older products and just keep repackaging their software with different vintage graphics.

Somebody who pays $3K (or whatever the price is) for their hardware unit isn't going to like getting a big pile of bugs. You'd think think just to avoid embarassment they'd make an effort to correct some of it. After seeing a 60 Minutes episode on the French work ethic, I just don't have a good feeling about anything that comes from France.

-Elhardt
dalekay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

long time since I seen a post from you... yea nada has changed ...
I still use it but I am not expecting it ever to work 100% ...

if you do any reviews, note me the links or email me ... I'll post the link/reviews in some of my groups/forums ...

dale

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Arturia

patchmouse wrote:

Take care,

Tony.

I had the same problem with support concerning the Arp and modular using 100% cpu for each instance on a MacPro if the GUI was visible.

After a couple of requests and a few months wait I emailed their sales department asking if it was normal practice for the company to ignore support issues.

Sales got back to me immediately saying they would look into it, soon after that they got back to me saying that they had spoken to support who said the issue was too complicated to fix!

Thats the last I heard

Cheers

Andy
dalekay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have talked to them in person at Winter NAMM many times ... I could give you some interesting things I seen between a few of them .. last winter NAMM the juno emulator was a bomb ... seems someone deleted every preset on all the demos ... so they had to redo them by hand .. the real Arturia Guys left for some meeting, gone, leaving the paid hands to peddle the wares ... so I played with them ... I was not that impressed but I was also told, it was incomplete, still something needed working as I errored out here and there, crashed etc... I did not think it sounded like a Juno either ... more like the MMV or CS-80 again ... but soundcard, speakers, noise and on .. even the headphones did not do it justice ...
The ARP now, I compared that a few Winter Namms back to the a real ARP 2600 and the Time Warps version, found TW version closer to true than Arturia's .. but I moderate the AR2600V group on yahoo ... so I would be a bad boy saying this huh? Was funny ... but again Arturia's did have some interesting sounds or should I say features (special or otherwise) that was different ... the group is mostly dead silent like the MMV's a lot ... does that say anything?

I respect the effort and programming that went into these things... don't think me a total ass about that .. I am not ... but I do sort of expect things to work like Ken ... just I am not going to ponder it when I can get it to function somewhat ... I am jaded on buying more Arturia things ...
NI has a list of things I am not happy with either but I can also find that of just about everything I buy ... sometimes it's just a case of snake oil others there is some snake oil there but not enough to throw it all out ...

Let's see the last thing I bought from Roland .. no grips yet at all ... A GR-20 for my Les Paul ... so far darn good item that seems to work ... m-audio midair ... working (wireless midi) ... I am happy with the PEK from Dave Smith ... sure there are some things that are pointed out to me about it not right but for some reason, they don't get in my way yet ... or are noticed ... Wink

and so on ... I am going with the worst support being Arturia in the past 5 years esp. the MMV and CS-80 ... next is NI/East West on vapor followed by Cakewalk due to the finger pointing back and forth between NI and Cakewalk ... I never got that resolved on the Vapor problem ... I might have it resolved when I try to install it on the xp box .. maybe ... even MOTU is in on this one too ... but hey ... shall I point out Alesis and the ION OS updates, Micron etc... someday ... maybe ? Yamaha AN200/DX200 etc... I guess I could go on huh? just little quirks here and there ... Korg MS2000 timing in the ARP, Extreme USB connection drivers ... opps ...
yea my daily list of little things, add MS for further OS ills ... no small wonder I am insane .. Rolling Eyes

dale
destroyifyer

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When you set up a sequencer patch from a default patch that already has the 2nd driver osc. set to "k1" (key follow one) when you load it up, then the 2nd driver osc. then the 2nd 3 osc. don't change pitch until you move the "key follow" control and set it back to "K1" for some wierd reason.

Aside from that some more precision on the controlls would be really nice... you should be able to move the controlls bit by bit instead of jumping massive intervals. At first it took me up to a minute or so just to set the sample+hold Hz to an exact number.
dalekay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just gave up messing with the bugs or wondering. I just use it, get what I am after, move on to the next set of sounds needed.

It's still useful, in use here just I ignore the problems with it ... Rolling Eyes

dale

ggm1960

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently bought the Arturia MMV2 for $85 from Amazon, seemed like a great deal but all these bugs probably help explain the low price.
I'm running it on a MacBook Pro and although I'm not very familiar with modular synths I've seen some weird things in the few short times I've used it. A couple times I just lose sound output. I thought I must have been doing something wrong but now I doubt that it was me.
dalekay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, here I am a year later, version 2 and still using it in spite of problems ... Wink

it is now on a XP box, the xp box is used to run softsynths, effects and so on. It has a personus firebox for a sound out/in. I think that is the key to good sound from any softsynth, the sound card.

A trick, which most here know, send the output to a analog filter, tube pre-amp or something analog, warm it up a bit ... it then is very hard to tell the real from the emulation (sound wise).

Crying or Very sad once your work is made into a mp3, who is going to know the details you put into the work anyway ... Crying or Very sad

good buy for $85, I paid a lot more many years back for it ...

dale

Inquisitor Betrayer
CD "Space Elevator" Get it at http://cdbaby.com/cd/inquisitorbetrayer,
http://www.inquisitorbetrayer.com , http://www.myspace.com/inquisitorbetrayer ,
http://www.musicforte.com/member/ib_staff
Apple iTunes http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=200365877

Angel's Wings
http://www.soundclick.com/angelswings

Ready to take your music to new levels?
Serious_Musicians@yahoogroups.com

on tw follow ibmuse
ggm1960

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really need to spend more time just learning the basics of modular synthesis, an interest that was sparked by Thor in Reason 4.

If I could just get out of my time vampire cover band........

dalekay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ggm1960 wrote:
I really need to spend more time just learning the basics of modular synthesis, an interest that was sparked by Thor in Reason 4.

If I could just get out of my time vampire cover band........

It's worth it, learning it that is. There are many different type of synthesis. Peek around here for starters. I use various FM techniques as well. FM 7 and 8 in use with MMV, sometimes I even feed them into each other. Idea

dale
sepulchre

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know it's been a couple of years since anyone has posted to this thread so I'm not really expecting much in the way of response.

I got MMV last year but really haven't used it much. Now I'm getting into it, well trying to, and just upgraded to v2.5. It's still got a lot of the problems discussed here. I haven't looked into all of them, don't have that kind of time. Just wondering if anything has improved. One thing: I was wondering if anyone ever took the time to translate the manual into understandable English. There are passages in it that make no sense at all. Ah well . . .

I'm working on a project now with two instances of them going, using their sequencers with relatively simple patches. Seems okay, though it crashed Sonar X1 once. I have several other VSTi pieces to work with but I have some ideas, actually sounds I heard about 20 or 30 years ago, that I think could only be done with a modular synth. Maybe they will have to be left in that era.

Ken (another one)
ggm1960

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All my good intentions to learn the program have gone nowhere. I had upgraded the version that is on the MBP I use in my home studio to ver. 2.5 and then discovered that in order to upgrade the copy on my upstairs MBP I'd need to have a dongle, ........screw you Arturia!. I'm the only person in this house that has ever even looked at the program. I don't have any clones although I could use about 20 of them to keep up with all the other crap I have to do!
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been using it more and more as of late. I do have the latest update for it and I have to say it's been stable. The dongle issue hasn't really been a problem...I just leave it plugged into my studio rig. Been using it in Win 7. 32 bit with Reaper. While I'm sure there are still bugs in it, I haven't come across any that are affecting my use of it. It actually seems Arturia has been spending more time as of late with upgrades.
sepulchre

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I said, I haven't tried to see if all the problems stated in earlier posts have been addressed. I know that some have not. But MMV still has its uses.

I do know that one "problem" mentioned was that 'impulse width' effected the saw and triangle waves, sort of going between them. Bob Moog thought that an in between wave would be useful as evidenced in the MiniMoog which has a setting for a half saw/half triangle wave. So that's not a bug or a piece of bad design. It is an attempt to remain true to the designer's efforts to create new sounds.

Maybe that's an esoteric point but I think the MMV may have been slammed a little hard. While I agree that many of its bugs should have been addressed it is still an excellent piece of software. I'm not sure the original hardware could withstand hard scrutiny either, but I have not had the opportunity to play with one (wouldn't that be a treat!).

@DES - I listened to some of your work - well done, sir, each and every one. Thanks for the ride.
Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Arturia Synths
Jump to: