electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » How-tos
ASIO4ALL - A Universal ASIO Driver For WDM Audio
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: ASIO4ALL - A Universal ASIO Driver For WDM Audio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I came across this little gem on one of the news groups I visit. Very Happy Most of my systems (PC's) have RME sound cards in them and as such have ASIO audio drivers available. My internet computer though has a Sound Blaster Live and none of the ASIO driver substitutes I have tried in the past have worked well. I installed this freebe - and it works! cheesy Quite well actually. This computer is only a 733 PIII - but at least now I can fire up a softsynth or two and PLAY them! I posted the link to the homepage in the links section - but here it is again: http://www.tippach.net/asio4all/
Installation was fast, painless and I didn't even have to reboot! definitely go to the site and read up on the details

I have been playing with it for about 30 minutes now and no crashes - though RGC's Z3ta+ didn't respond well when I turned on it's limiter.. Confused

Des
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: ASIO4ALL - A Universal ASIO Driver For WDM Audio Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
I have been playing with it for about 30 minutes now and no crashes -

the expectations of "Windows people" do not seem very high.
Aren't they Question

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carlo, I'm surprised you missed the opportunity to quote this one:

Quote:
ASIO is a trademark of Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH. Everything else on this page, including the numbers 16, 48 and 100 is or may become a trademark of Microsoft, Corp., except for trademarks of their respective owners that are used for product identification purposes only. The rest, as well as the stuff mentioned above that has not yet become a trademark of Microsoft, Corp. is Copyright(c)2003-2004, Michael Tippach.

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Carlo, I'm surprised you missed the opportunity to quote this one

I am sorry Howard, I had not checked that page Embarassed salut

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave, what is the advantage of this driver. I have an ASIO/WDM driver for my Yamaha DSP Factory. Would there be any value to use this one instead?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DES

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard - if your sound card has an ASIO driver available it probably would not offer any benefit. I believe it's intent is for those people with sound cards that do not have ASIO drivers available for them - only WDM drivers. Like Sound Blasters for example. (I believe the newer Audigy do have ASIO drivers though I am not familiar with how well they work...). It wouldn't hurt to try it though..it might work better then the factory driver.

Quote:
the expectations of "Windows people" do not seem very high.
Aren't they

Well, I ALWAYS expect the worst to happen with free software - that way I'm never suprised.... Laughing And we have our Macs at work crash on occasion - so you Macoids are not totally out of the woods either.. Cool

Des
play

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Well, I ALWAYS expect the worst to happen with free software - that way I'm never suprised....

that's funny. i always expect the opposite. in my experience, open-source software is usually smaller, faster and less buggy. maybe it's because the people involved are doing it because they love it rather than the fact that they're wage slaves. not to say programmers of commercial software can't love their jobs too.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
Macoids are not totally out of the woods either.. Cool

I know that, thanks for reminding me Cool
I am a "real Macoid" but not a fool Idea

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Open source software is usually outstanding. I prefer to use it, not because I'm cheap, but because it is usually the best. (Not always). Still, it is best to keep ones expectations low in most things. Who said, "The man with no expectations is never disappointed." ?
DES

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

noiseusse wrote:

that's funny. i always expect the opposite. in my experience, open-source software is usually smaller, faster and less buggy. maybe it's because the people involved are doing it because they love it rather than the fact that they're wage slaves. not to say programmers of commercial software can't love their jobs too.

I would have to say that a majority of the freebe software (music and other apps) that I have tried have been "adequate" but not stellar. I have had quite a few that just plain didn't work right at all. There was an ASIO driver program out - I believe it was the original KS project - that just would not work on my system. And it was probably due to some issue with the Via chip set this particular board uses. This new driver though - which is based partly on the KS system works pretty good...still have to run some more tests though. Some of the synth-edit synths that I have tried in the past were quirky - while others have been outstanding. Once in a while though you stumble across some really good freeware. I guess it really depends on how much beta testing a programmer does on the project...if it is only developed and tested on one computer it is more likely to have problems on other systems just because of differences in chipsets, etc.. Now as far as freeware on Macs - I have no experience there - I would expect most to be more reliable as there are considerably fewer variations in the Mac hardware then with PC's....
DES

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
DES wrote:
Macoids are not totally out of the woods either.. Cool

I know that, thanks for reminding me Cool
I am a "real Macoid" but not a fool Idea

Hmmm - "The Real Mac-oids" sounds like a pilot for a new 21st century tv show... Laughing

( for you younger types there used to be a tv show in the 60's called The Real McCoys)

Seraph - never meant to insinuate you or Macoids are fools - far from it. Nothing wrong about gear obssesion...it kind of goes with the territory...Macs, Modulars, PC's...
DES

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Open source software is usually outstanding. I prefer to use it, not because I'm cheap, but because it is usually the best. (Not always).

The key here Howard is "Open Source" which usually implies that several people worked on a program - on multiple systems. So if there are any inherent bugs it is more likely that they will be found. Similar results if you have a single programmer who uses a group of beta testers. The program is getting exposure to more variables in hardware. If I remember correctly the author of this ASIO4ALL program did use beta testers.
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:

Seraph - never meant to insinuate you or Macoids are fools - far from it. Nothing wrong about gear obssesion...it kind of goes with the territory...Macs, Modulars, PC's...

that's OK Very Happy welcome

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a BIG KISS for Dave. love

I loaded this driver. Installation was without a hitch. Went into Sonar 3 and discovered an explicit ASIO mode selector! This wasn't there before. I enabled this and wow, much lower latency. This is a big improvement over the factory driver.

THANK YOU!!!!

OMG! I have to rethink everything I already thunk about soft synths.
DES

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Here's a BIG KISS for Dave. love

I loaded this driver. Installation was without a hitch. Went into Sonar 3 and discovered an explicit ASIO mode selector! This wasn't there before. I enabled this and wow, much lower latency. This is a big improvement over the factory driver.

THANK YOU!!!!

OMG! I have to rethink everything I already thunk about soft synths.

Awe, shucks! It twernt nothin.... Embarassed
Gareacho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Korg wavestation Sr help wanted Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just inherited wave station Sr from good friend doing time for drunk driving would like to learn some of the in an outs-like how to program new samples ect...Where can I get a manual ?Using as a second sound modual controlled by Yamaha ex5 also have Mark of the Unicorn which I don't how to use.Please send links!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg wavestation Sr help wanted Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gareacho wrote:
Just inherited wave station Sr from good friend doing time for drunk driving would like to learn some of the in an outs-like how to program new samples ect...Where can I get a manual ?Using as a second sound modual controlled by Yamaha ex5 also have Mark of the Unicorn which I don't how to use.Please send links!

Hmmm.... I don't know anything about the Wavestation or the EX5. The MOTU site is http://www.motu.com/

Maybe it might help to start a new post, with a good informative subject.
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » How-tos
Jump to: