electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  PHANToS presents: Ghouls & Ghosts (various EM Halloween performances from previous years)
  PHANToS presents: The Monstrous Modulator (Modulator ESP's 2010/2011 halloween performances mix)
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Electro-Music 2007 Wish List
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
RemixRick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Electro-Music 2007 Wish List
Subject description: Post-up the things you'd like to see at E-M 2007
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi All,

I didn't see a thread for suggesting content for E-M 2007 so I thought I'd start one. Please post-up your ideas and suggestions.

Personally I'd like to see several workshops on composition. I'd particularly like to see one on composing space music but I'll attend any composition workshop.

A workshop on alternative or microtonal tunings would also be welcome.

It might also be cool to do a nightly (or lunchtime) improv workshop. By this I mean where the audience provides a short motif and several of our more accomplished members build a little song around it. I've seen that work in incredibly well in the comedy world. I wonder it it would translate well to E-M?

I once had the pleasure of seeing Robin Williams and a bunch of the regulars at the Comedy Store put together skits based on answers to a couple of seemingly random questions put to the audience. He asked two questions. One of them was to name something you'd find around the house. The suggested answer was "an urn with the ashes of a beloved pet." Somehow he made a hilarious skit which actually included that urn.
sbowman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Laptop Projection Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a suggestion. Anytime an act centers on laptop music--either solo or in a small group--I'd like to see what's happening on the screen of the laptop. We could take a video feed directly from the laptop to a projector, and up on a screen.

Laptop music, no matter how exciting the music itself, is inherently boring to watch being performed. A guy (or gal) moving a mouse around. Besides, I know just enough about Ableton to be really curious to see how it's done by a master.

Anybody else agree? It sure would be easy to do. We already have the projectors and screens set up.

Steve

www.AvailableSpaceMusic.com
www.BizClarity.com
sbowman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Laptop Battle Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's something else I'd like to see. A laptop battle. Maybe a first round could be held in the jam room upstairs, and three finalists battle it out during a slot in one of the main rooms. I've never been to a laptop battle, and I don't play that kind of music myself, but I've always been intrigued by the fact that it's possible and I'm looking for an opportunity to see one.

They're easy to stage--each contestant just plugs in. The turns can be short--ten minutes or so, as I understand it. And the limiting parameters that make it focused and interesting are inherent--laptops (and maybe a controller) only.

Reminds me of what the jazz cats used to call a cutting contest. Friendly competition in the arts has led to some of the greatest innovations, and I think that could be happening right now in the laptop music culture--an important subculture of all electro-music. I think it's totally appropriate to include in the E-M program. I do not, by the way, think that competition is appropriate for any other form of E-M. The parameters are not consistent, and each group has different artistic goals. But since battles are an integral part of the laptop music culture, it makes sense to represent that side of the culture.

And of course, consistent with my prior post, the screen shots should be projected in real time.

Steve

www.AvailableSpaceMusic.com
www.BizClarity.com
RFBB

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I too would be interested in seeing this or competing. We'll have the 2006 National Champ on hand (VYTEAR), so i see it only fitting that we see what we can do to make this happen.

M.Peck
www.mpeckmusic.blogspot.com
www.reverbnation.com/echotomb
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: