electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
UD-1 . Just PCB or Full Kits ??
Page 1 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: UD-1 . Just PCB or Full Kits ??
Subject description: Hmmm ... what to supply ......
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just curious .........

If you were to purchase the UD-1 printed circuit card, how many would want to see full kits of parts supplied as well?

Semiconductors
Passives
PCB
Potentiometers (Panel Mt.)
Quarter Inch Jacks
etc ........

OR .... would most be just interested in the bare PC Board ....??

Of course, everything would be fully documented.

Bill
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

now it's getting serious!
i'd voted for a PCB + the hard to find 566...

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, the board and a 566, at the very least !

I could also offer, for example, a sort of "pick your options" :

UD1 PCB + 566
UD1 PCB + all semis
UD1 PCB + Jacks
UD1 PCB + Jacks + 566

You get the idea ...

I could break down the pricing ...

10 jacks ..... $10.00
NE566 ............ $5.00
10 Pots ....... $5.00

etc ........

Bill
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMHO, full kits are the way to go Very Happy

It's really annoying when I'm missing 3 caps or resistors/ whatever, and then I need to buy in bulk just to get them.

Also choosing the correct capacitors can be a real pain in the arse for beginners Idea Wink

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PCB only for me... i've built up a pretty good stash of parts at this point.

thx

b
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would probably lean towards whole kit also, It was nice getting the theremax kit and being able to put it all together right then and not have to worry about not having something, but jacks, not sure everyone uses different types.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked ahh Bill you don't know what you've let yourself in for! Laughing

How's the degree? Shocked Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
krisp14u

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PCB only bill but mabe 3 or 4
cheers
Paul D
slo

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just the PCB for me, I have the IC's
bubblechamber

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i could use 2 PCBs, maybe the 566s, too
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would say PCB's and 566's, my precious few are already earmarked for the Clangora!
-justin
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PCB and rare parts only
The Alison Project

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would buy either the full kit or PCB w/ 566.

Panel mount pots means I would have to drill straight errr.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Alison Project wrote:
Panel mount pots means I would have to drill straight errr.

Or larger holes.

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PCB and the rarer parts would be my preference. Although the convenience of a fully-supplied BOM would be a luxury I'd personally pay for. But failing that, just getting the rare bits would be helpful. I can source the passives.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Adam-V

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd go full kit minus the pots & jacks - just to give folks the option to choose their own based on their preferred modular format.

Cheers,
Adam-V
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guys, thanks for all your comments. It really helps me to make decisions on how best to approach things. It's really about what you all want and for me to supply it based on your feedback Very Happy It's really a mixed bag here and I have enough parts to satisfy everyones needs.

I have had requests also by private e-mail and it's seems a mixed bag also in terms of bare PCB, full kit, partial kit, etc ....

based on this feedback, I will supply the following :

UD1 PCB
UD1 PCB + IC's
UD1 PCB + IC's + Passives & Transistors
UD1 Complete 1/4" jack Kit
UD1 Complete 1/8" Jack Kit
UD1 Complete Potentiometer Kit
UD1 DELUXE COMPLETE KIT

Prices and availability will be announced soon. The prices will be VERY fair Very Happy

The first UD1 release will be the classic "Thomas Henry" original design. Following this will be the UD PLUS series that will offer different options such as tunable noise, multiple envelope shapes, etc ....

Thanks again guys !
Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
ahh Bill you don't know what you've let yourself in for! Laughing

How's the degree? Shocked

I hear you brother !! I like to do this sort of thing but it does eat into "study" time. I have also been getting ready for EM 2007 as I will be performing for a 25 minute set. Thats not too bad so I am not too worried about that. I am working with a new computer and at first I was a bit concerned but it is ROCK solid for the past several weeks and have it tweaked out (correct buffer sizes vs. my demands on the hardware)

Very Happy
Bill
para

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how long until the UD PLUS? i think i'd rather just go for a couple of those.

steven
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
how long until the UD PLUS? i think i'd rather just go for a couple of those.

That might not be for a while (No date set for that) as I want to get the UD1 released then do the 16 channel MIDI-to-Trigger design.

UD-1 - TOM, BASS drums (Original TH Design)
UD PLUS Snares, Hi-Hats

I realized the original UD-1 was perfect just as it was for TOMS and BASS drum sounds so I decided to do that one first.

The UD PLUS will be for different drum sounds as shown above. A bit more money as they will be bit more complex.

Thanks,
Bill
para

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks like i'll be getting both then Wink
Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After yet another taxing school year (grades are turned in now, weeping students are a memory, and I can relax a bit), I just came up from the basement workshop/studio. I managed to find time to unwind with some of my designs in a more musical sense while horsing around.

State Machine wrote:

I realized the original UD-1 was perfect just as it was for TOMS and BASS drum sounds so I decided to do that one first.

I'm so glad you said that! The UD-1 (which by the way, stands for "Universal Drum One, if you didn't know) is a circuit whose lily doesn't deserve to be painted. Yeah, there are more complicated modules out there, but this one really gets the job done with a minimum of parts, if I may be so immodest to say so. In particular, I plan on building three more for my system: 1 for bass drum, and 2 for tom-toms. This is the circuit I should have designed twenty years ago, but, hey, I've learned a little since then. Be sure to see Scott's write-up on his Web site.

Without wishing to sound too egotistical (or maybe I am!), what I like about this one is the fact there are lots features, they're reliable and repeatable for other builders, and yet there are many sounds possible with so few components. And, of course, I love analog drum sounds! Like I say, I just came up from the basement, and am still shaking my head at how good the analog snare (ADV-Snare) and analog hi-hat (Clangora) from several years ago still sound. The UD-1 is in this class, too. If I can overcome my schoolyear exhaustion, I may just design a UD-2 with snare options.

Thomas Henry
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'm so glad you said that! The UD-1 (which by the way, stands for "Universal Drum One, if you didn't know) is a circuit whose lily doesn't deserve to be painted. Yeah, there are more complicated modules out there, but this one really gets the job done with a minimum of parts, if I may be so immodest to say so. In particular, I plan on building three more for my system: 1 for bass drum, and 2 for tom-toms. This is the circuit I should have designed twenty years ago, but, hey, I've learned a little since then. Be sure to see Scott's write-up on his Web site.

Ah, yes, Universal it is ... and no it shall certainly not get painted Very Happy I really like this analog drum and had placed four earlier UD-1's, an ADV Snare and a Clangora in a professionally finshed rack assembly! I finally got to laying out the board and will be checking out samples to see if everything is correct! keep you eyes open for the announcemnt .... I DO have NE566's and CA3080 OPA's and others parts as I had said in my earlier posts.

Tom, thanks very much for your thoughts ! Very Happy

You know, it really sounds as though the Clangora will be needing a printed circuit card as I REALLY like this HH unit! I have produced some real "metallic" sounds from this beauty! It's very versatile!

Maybe the later part of 2007? Hmm, Tom, you would not object to a PCB for Clangora would you? I really think others should enjoy this great design!

Oh, glad your able to relax and enjoy yourself as the school year is winding down. Also, I had sold an SN Voice board to one of your students BTW. Thanks for sending him my way. He contacted me over the winter for a board. There are now 220 SN Voices all over the world thus far !!!! It's great to know folks like you Tom, Scott and everyone else on this forum with such a passion for electronics as I do myself!

Bill ...
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all ... Thanks for waiting for the UD-1. I have just soldered up one of my bare PC boards for testing the UD-1 PCB design. The picture is shown below. I shall wire up some pots and jacks this week for testing. If all is good, I will have full kits, partial kits, and just UD-1 PC Boards for sale. Look for the announcement real soon. Probably by this months end Very Happy Here is the pricing BTW and this will be repeated in the official announcement.

(P/N PCB-UD1) Double Sided / Silk-screened / Tinned / Solder Masked Printed Circuit Board $15.00
(P/N SEMI-UD1) All Semiconductors & DIP Low Profile Sockets : $11.00
(P/N POTS-UD1) All Potentiometers : $10.00
(P/N JACKS-UD1) ¼ “ Panel Mount Jack Set : $5.00
(P/N RESCAP-UD1) All Resistors & Capacitors : $5.00
(P/N HDRS-UD1) J1/J2 Board Headers : $3.00
(P/N DOC-UD1) Documentation : FREE
(P/N KIT-UD1) ALL OF THE ABOVE, FULL KIT : $49.00

Bill

UD1_Proto.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.34 KB
 Viewed:  16449 Time(s)

UD1_Proto.JPG

Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking good! Can't wait. I'm liking the idea of more options besides just pcb. I'll probably get a ud-1 done long before my SN or PS3100 Laughing Crying or Very sad
Page 1 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: