electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Metasonix
CV attenuation for wretch machine and tm-3
Page 2 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
thermionicjunky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

P.S. , you could also obtain the vector fade function with Doepfer , using the voltage controlled mixer , joystick and dual inverter. The most expensive thing about them is the rack , but now they will be offering mini cases. The modules above occupy more space than one moni case , but you could fill out two cases by adding some Plan B or Livewire modules.
erich

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I'm finally posting this ring I'm getting. Any time I use the moog vx351 or cp251 to send control voltages to metasonix anything. If the sound I'm using is completely roaring, it doesn't matter much. Anything at a lower volume is kind of ruined.

annoyingMP3.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  annoyingMP3.mp3
 Filesize:  200.82 KB
 Downloaded:  860 Time(s)

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this happens when you connect the Moog to the Wretch, but not any other time? It's a pretty high pitched (and yes, very obnoxious) component, but I'm trying to reproduce it here with my equipment so I need as much detail as I can get. Normally my Wretch and my Voyager cooperate.

Do you have a favorite patch you use on the Voyager? Just curious.

Home,My Studio,and another view
erich

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunatly, I hear this out of ALL metasonix products when I use CV from the vx351 or cp251.

Minor Glider is probably my favorite preset on the voyager. Love the lower register sounds. I'm figuring out how to make lead sounds I like, I really don't like traditional moog leads at all.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

erich wrote:
Unfortunatly, I hear this out of ALL metasonix products when I use CV from the vx351 or cp251.

Minor Glider is probably my favorite preset on the voyager. Love the lower register sounds. I'm figuring out how to make lead sounds I like, I really don't like traditional moog leads at all.

well, we are still learning then. By the way, I am pretty tired of old Moog patches too, but that's besides the point. Hit that manual button, set those knobs free.

Is it that all the Metasonix boxes reproduce that tone, or does anything else?Do all the metasonix modules only reproduce it? Nothing else?

The details are really helpful. Saving a trip to your house (which for me is a long and expensive one) is only part of this now.

I am so curious especially after hearing the sound. It sounds like an open sound source. I am sure it isn't. But that is what it sounds like.

erich

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is everyone of my metasonix modules and the Wretch. But this is all I have that use cv signals. Just the voyager and all the metasonix stuff. So I don't know whether using the vx351 and cp251 with other modules would be the same. I have a cyndustries module, but haven't sprung for the power supply. Metasonix has made me poor. I have a ton of it. If I want to use the voyager to control ANY cv in ANY of my metasonix stuff, I have to deal with that noise. I didn't think about it before, but I guess it could be the moog stuff. I don't know. I hope that sound isn't going to be there with every module. I really can't use any of this expensive ass gear in recordings if that is there. I don't know what other details to give you, please ask specific questions if need be, I don't know what else to say at this point. Thanks again so much for the help.
thermionicjunky

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I suspect that it's the Moog gear. Try patching a cv out from the Moog into your sound system. If that sound is there , that's your answer. I had a much lower frequency coming out of Frostwave MIDI converter. The designer was just as stumped as I was. This solid state gear is typically much more complicated than tube circuits. Much can go wrong.
erich

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After all this, you are right. It's the damn moog gear. I was right though, thousands of posts ago, when I said I was screwed. I got the moog stuff on ebay and just used it with the voyager which this isn't a problem with. I have a zeroscillator and a couple cyndustries modules coming, and I thought I had a way to control them, which I guess I don't, that tone ruins recordings. Moog wont help me I'm guessing, since I bought it on ebay, I already gave the guy on ebay his good feedback since it worked fine for what I tried it wth when I first bought the two pieces. Any suggestions? I was thinking of getting a midi to cv converter, but I liked combining the moog and the other gear. This is quite a blow, it takes away ALOT of my options as far as using this stuff. Thanks again.
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

erich wrote:
After all this, you are right. It's the damn moog gear. I was right though, thousands of posts ago, when I said I was screwed. I got the moog stuff on ebay and just used it with the voyager which this isn't a problem with. I have a zeroscillator and a couple cyndustries modules coming, and I thought I had a way to control them, which I guess I don't, that tone ruins recordings. Moog wont help me I'm guessing, since I bought it on ebay, I already gave the guy on ebay his good feedback since it worked fine for what I tried it wth when I first bought the two pieces. Any suggestions? I was thinking of getting a midi to cv converter, but I liked combining the moog and the other gear. This is quite a blow, it takes away ALOT of my options as far as using this stuff. Thanks again.

Send an email to moog. I had really good dealings with Heidi Bucher, the office manager. They are very good and caring people, it's a very good company. If you explain the situation, perhaps they can help you. I bought the Voyager V3 upgrade as a field replacement, they checked back to make sure I was OK and everything. Really nice folks. I was really impressed with them.

erich

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll talk to them. That is good to hear.

Thanks again
mee3d

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just received my TM-3 and TM-5 today and had some problems setting up the TM-3 (pitch tracking) which I worked out thanks to some pointers in this thread and noticed the thread about a high pitched whine.

I had this with the 351/251 combo and discovered that if you have these racked using the power link cable that moog supplies you often get a whine becuase of a shielding problem between the two units. Not sure if this is your problem but unplug everything from the 251/351 and see if the whines there... then switch off the Voyager and unplug the 25 pin D connector connecting the 251/351 and switch back on the Voyager - if the whine has gone you need to power up the 251 seperatly as well (just plug in the PSU that came with it) and that should fix the problem.

Naturally it could be something completely different but I thought I would share.

Got my TM-3 running through my Voyager just fine... sounds very vintage.

Mal
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's a power link cable for the 251? Huh. Well that makes sense why I can't reproduce the problem. I run the 251 off it's own supply, there is no electrical common between the Voyager and the 251. But I don't have TM modules, just the S-1000, so I was getting pretty sure it was a TM gain thing, but there you have it.

Very good comment, very helpful, thanks (even if it isn't my problem, I've been feeling bad for erich).

mee3d

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you have both the 251 and 351 you can either power them both via the Voyager by using the supplied power link cable that comes with the rack accessory (this routes the power from the Voyagers D cable through the 351 and into the 251) or you can power each unit seperatly with individual PSUs...

The common thing to do is to just use the power from the Voyager but this causes the sound - like a very high pitched whistle. I think it's documented on the moog forum as I was the first to come accross it back in 2003!
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, you would probably recognise the sound which I could only suspect was coming from the Moog.

Very glad to know this is a known problem. I'll be even more happy to hear from erich that this is his setup.

By the way, welcome to the forums here.

erich

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was exactly the problem. I just started using the power supply for the cp251 and that is it. No whine. I got the 251 and 351 together on ebay and just plugged in the 351 to the voyager and let the 251 get power from that. I am kind of upset that something so simple was the problem the whole time, but that is how it goes. A whole new world is in front of me with that sound gone. I'm glad it happened though because there is so much info in these posts that I'm glad to see a little bit about. This is kind of new to me. I just need a few more cyndustries modules, some modcan or synthesizers.com stuff for utility and routing and such, about 4 food pedals, and I will never see any of my friends again. I can't wait.
mee3d

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great...It's always worth checking the moog forum as well as the Voyager is not without it's own issues.

Mal
Page 2 of 2 [41 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Metasonix
Jump to: